X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prony Brake Videos

Here is a video of a Rumley steam tractor running hard on the Prony Brake at Rollag. It was taken on 8/31/02 at dusk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFGmGk7WgNg

Prony Brake Videos

JL,

Thank you for sharing this video. The Rumley engine in the video belongs to the WMSTR Association.

At the beginning of the video the engine is running slowly. From the sound of the voice I believe Bill McCreery from Manatoba is running the Brake. You can hear Bill call out "640 650", those numbers are pounds of force on the scale. Multiply those by 5.25 and you will get 3360 ft-lb and 3410 ft-lb of torque. Bill was probably demonstrating that the two cylinder steam engine will produce maximum torque at any rpm.

Later you can hear pairs of numbers. "430 and 285" "540 and 245". Those pairs of numbers can be used to calculate horsepower. The first pair fugures out to 123Hp and the second pair is 132Hp.

As you can see, the Rumley is a large engine that is capable of producing large amounts of torque and horsepower.

JL, again I would like to thank you for taking the video and putting up here so we can see it.

Jerry Christiansen

Comment

That is a very good clip
      Grant

Comment

120 Rumely - Prony Brake Demonstration

Here is a video of the 120 Rumely steam tractor running on the prony brake taken Saturday 9/1/2007.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWv5_QjLqcs
        Last edited by M Kerkvliet; 12-28-2007, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Wow!!

Thanks for getting the video up so quickly. I always enjoy seeing the big Rumley doing that show. Bill and Garth have been doing a great job with the Rumley. Bill is a good man on the Prony Brake and explains things very well.

I have never seen people moving so fast when belting an engine!

Later,
          Jerry Christiansen

Comment

I agree, Bill does a very good job explaining the concept of torque and horsepower to the spectators.
            Spencer

Comment

Working...
            X