Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Rollag Pictures

This forum is such a great idea!!!
    We've scanned in some old pictures from some early shows at Rollag.
    I'm going to post one at a time.
    This picture is of the Nichols & Sheppard going up the Hill during the parade through the people. I would say that this picture is taken in the area where the main water tank is located.

Brian
    Last edited by Brian K. Nelson; 09-15-2007, 11:44 PM.
    Brian K. Nelson

Here is Picture #2

Picture of some steam engines and some "new" cars. If I were to guess this picture is taken in front of where the Admin building sits now.

Brian
    Last edited by Brian K. Nelson; 09-15-2007, 11:44 PM.
    Brian K. Nelson

Comment

Here's picture #3...

The grounds sure look different back then. I would guess on this one that the cars in the forground are where the Eatshack and the Steam Engine row sits now..

Brian
      Attached Files
      Brian K. Nelson

Comment

Picture #4....

Here is a good picture of the crowd and the engine in the center is the "old Gaar Scott". Notice the public announcer on the bottom right... Little different than today...

Brian
        Attached Files
        Brian K. Nelson

Comment

Finally Picture #5.... lunch...

Here is a picture of the Ladies from Rollag Church having a little lunch themselves... Right behind that car would be the where the main well for the gounds is today.. Just think the kids in this pictures are in their mid to late 50's.

Brian
          Attached Files
          Brian K. Nelson

Comment

Great pictures Brian. I wasn't even born then! The show grounds are constantly changing. I have been attending the show since 1978, when the west edge of the grounds was near the eat shack, and the only camping was Peasant Valley, and no showers! No flush toilets either! About the only thing recognizable in these pictures is the trees!

Thanks!
            Mark

Fargo, ND

Comment

1969 Pictures

Interesting discussion. I thought I would throw in a couple shots I have from the 1969 and 1970 shows. My dad took several shots of me in front of different pieces of equipment. I have been scanning alot of slides and these were among them. Last year I took several around with me and compared the engines now with what they looked like 37 years ago. It was real interesting how some of them really were quite the same. some like this Reeves had some improvements made. This shot is of my great grandfather Art Pilgren, My Aunt Sharon Jurgens and myself at about 4 years old. I loved that stuff even then. I have a picture of my 4th birthday cake with a steam traction engine on it. The one thing I wish is that I would have known more as a 10-12 year old to ask question of any of my 3 great grandfathers about their experiences with steam traction engines. I remember them talking about it but at the time I did not know that I would ever be getting involved myself. If there is any interest after I try a couple I can post some more, but I don't want to bore people either.

Darren

Comment

One More

Here is one by the Rumley the same year.

Darren

Comment

Originally posted by Darren Gunderson View Post
                  If there is any interest after I try a couple I can post some more, but I don't want to bore people either.

Darren
                  Your kidding, right? Post away man! These are great pictures Darren!

Notice both engines still had the jacketing on the boilers? Wow!

Do you know who's Reeves that one is? Is it Danielsons?

I am looking forward to more of these old pictures!
                  Mark

Fargo, ND

Comment

Keep posting - Please.

I was just last night watching the first Rollag video "Steamers". It is really interesting to see how far the show has come.
                    Rick H

Comment

Originally posted by M Kerkvliet View Post
                      Your kidding, right? Post away man! These are great pictures Darren!

Notice both engines still had the jacketing on the boilers? Wow!

Do you know who's Reeves that one is? Is it Danielsons?

I am looking forward to more of these old pictures!
                      Yes that is Danielson's, at least I am pretty sure that is the name of the person I talked to at the last show about it. It is the one that is there at Rollag every year. I am still learning peoples names. I am at a little bit of a disadvantage since I live in Kansas and can only make it there to work a couple times a year. The person running the Reeves was able to identify a couple of the people in the photo around the engine. I gave him a copy of it because he said it was interesting because it still had the jacketing on. He was also commenting on the old Coca Cola sign in the back.

I will get a couple more resized and the filesize shrunk this evening and post a couple more since it seems like people are interested. I sure was but was not sure if others would find it as cool as I did. You will just have to bear with the fact that I show up as a kid in each of them.

Darren
                      Last edited by vnanosky; 04-18-2007, 06:32 PM. Reason: missing end quote

Comment

Pioneer Pics

OK here is one thing that I found real interesting. The first picture is from the 1970 show and shows the Pioneer. The second one was taken at the 2005 show. Look at the rear corner of the corregated roof. The exact same bend is still in it. The paint is somewhat faded but otherwise they almost could have been taken on the same day.

Comment

One More for Now

Here is the Nichols Shepherd from 1970. Again almost the same today.

Comment

Fantastic pictures! Nice to see them and great to know the engines have been well cared for over the years!!!!! I am hoping to see more of these kind of pictures! THANKS!!
                            Navy Mom

Comment

Anyone recognize these?

Well here is one more. I did not originally include it because I had not gone around the show to see if I could find this one. Does anyone recognize the Avery or even the Aultman to the side? I am just curious if either of these are still around or if anyone knows anything about them. This picture is from the 1969 show and is yours truly on the deck.

Darren

Comment

Well, that 40-80 Avery is now at the Albany, MN show. I believe it was owned by Elmer Larson when it was at Rollag. I think the owner at Albany is Peternel or something like that. That tractor too hasn't changed a bit other than some paint fade. I remember that 30-60 AT being at Rollag only a year or too ago, but I don't recall seeing it last year (I could be wrong.) I know it hadn't run for a number of years, it just needed somebody to give it a little attention as far as water leaks and such I think.

Matt

Comment

These pictures are great! Thanks Darren!

Jake Werner

Comment

old pics

These pictures are great, especially for a kid like me. I only have a few years of memories in my head. So keep them coming.
                                    Blaine

Comment

Well since this thread has resurfaced lately I guess I will add one more. This is probably from the 1969 show. I guess I did not post it earlier since it was not steam and not a big prairie tractor, but after looking again, It is a pretty neat little Cletrac. Again, that is me in the picture. After looking at the past posts and pictures again, I realized that on the picture on the back of the 40-80 Avery, I am holding two horseshoes that I got there at the show and those two horshoes are still on a shelf in my office to this day. Those and the show buttons and these pictures are treasures from my youth.

I remember after I got married and had been telling my wife about this wonderful show and how we should go. I had showed her the pictures and stuff I had from when I was a kid. She has had a real interest in railroads all her life but not so much of an interest in the agricultural engines. I finally got to get her there in 1994 for her first show and the only thing she was looking forward to was to ride the 353. Well I wanted to sit through the parade and it was rainy and cold and miserable that day but she stayed with me and when it was all over we went to ride the RR but wouldn't you know, it was broken. All that combined made it a hard sell to ever go back. But now I am proud to say that she has joined the ranks of Rollag crews has her MN license and helps happily at the Ortner.

The only reason I mention any of this is that years ago I wanted to be able to work with equipment like this and never thought it would be possible but after being lucky in finding a great group of people to work with and learn from there, I am proud to be part of Doc Knutsons crew for the 20 Minneapolis. It took a while from when I was 5 or 6, but things have a way of working out. It only took 38 years or so

Darren

Comment

What is amazing to me Darren, is the miles you guys travel to come to the show every year and the times you come up during the winter / spring to help out.

Where did you live back when those pictures were taken?
                                        Mark

Fargo, ND

Comment

What a great picture! I know for sure that 2 of those tractors are still on the grounds. That is our family's 1936 A John Deere, I can tell by the wrong decals and the dent in the hood. The dent is still in the hood, but now it has the right decals and it is on full steel. My Grandpa Carl A. Nelson bought the tractor new in 1936. The Huber in the background is the one owned by the Kevin Braseth family, Kevin drives it every year - that tractor has a long history of being in the Rollag area. Not sure who's Farmall or the Cletrac.
                                          Keep the pictures coming!!!
                                          Thanks.
                                          Brian K. Nelson

Comment

Mark,

I was born in Fargo and lived there when those photo's were taken. Both my parents are from Hillsboro and I had great grandparents in Waubun and Detroit Lakes. I still have family up there so I have a connection with the area, I just don't currently live very close.

I would love to live closer so I could be more active on the grounds but it is sometimes a bit of a challenge to get the time off from work to make it when we do. They know at work that Fathers Day weekend and Labor Day weekend not to plan to see me for a while.

I have tried to find something like WMSTR around me to help at, but we just don't have anything even close. And besides it is a great bunch of people to work with up there.

Darren

Comment

Brian,

Thanks for some of the history about those tractors. Isn't it cool how things like a dent in something can make the ID so easy? It makes you think that sometimes things like that should be left in the equipment even when they are restored. I am making note of that to keep with them. It is great that there are still those connections of equipment and people there. I don't think I have any more from WMSTR from that time period but I am going to look again. It has been great hearing from everyone that knows things about these engines.

Darren

Comment

Hi Darren,
                                                Finally found a picture of the A from the angle to compare with your picture. This picture was taken a couple of years ago as it has the steel front wheels. The picture is probably taken in roughly the same area as you 1969 photo, this is just on the south side of the Nelson Building, and this is the display area for the early shows. My oldest boy DeForrest is on the tractor. It would be great to meet you during the show. Look me up and you can take the tractor through a parade or 2.
                                                Brian K. Nelson

Comment

Brian,

Thanks for posting the newer picture. Yes it would be great to meet up at the show. You can usually find me with Knutson's 20 HP Minneapolis traction engine. I like helping in the Freeport building as well, but this year I probably won't get as much time in there as usual with my responsibilites with the Minneapolis.

You say to look you up, where would be the most likely place to find you?

Darren

Comment

Hi Darren,
                                                    This year I'll be spending most of the time up with the John Deere Expo. It maybe easier if I find you on the Minneapolis. We'll get connected. Thanks.
                                                    Brian K. Nelson

Comment

Well it has been a couple months since any activity on this thread. I found a few more from the 1970 show that I have gotten scanned from my dads old slides and thought I would share.

This first one is pretty good shot of the Advance in miniature land

Is anyone identifiable in there?

Here is another from miniature land. Anyone know the two kids with the Oil Pull?

I am very curious about the steamer in the lower right hand corner. It looks like it has been around a while, even in 1970.

I will see about posting a couple more later tonight.

Darren

Comment

I am really enjoying the old pictures Darren...

Hey Rick... Isn't that "Norman" in the background of this picture?

Mark

Fargo, ND

Comment

OK, here are a couple more. I assume this is during a parade.

Here is one of the smaller Avery

And finally Garr Scott.

Well for now I am tapped out. Maybe some more will show up as I go through more stuff, but that is what I have for now.

Darren

Comment

Darren and all others that have posted old pictures,

THANKS. The changes on the 'Hill' are interesting to look at. One of the pictures of Miniature Land has the Log Cabin Museum in the background. Notice the lack of roads and fences.

The picture that Darren thinks is of a parade looks like it was taken from the north side of the parade route that we know now and is looking to the south. No flag poles, no sawmill. Are the railroad tracks there?

Thanks again.
                                                            Jerry Christiansen

Comment

Darren,
                                                              That Avery in your picture isn't the Ellingson Avery. That is a picture of Dave Grosz's former 20 HP Avery. Not sure who is standing on the back of the engine. My Great Grandpa Ole and Grandpa Myron Olsgaard used to operate that engine when Dave's father Richard brought that to the show. That engine is where my father got his start with steam, and actually that is how my brother and I got into the steam "trade." Dad got into Rollag by accident, after he married mom. Grandpa had to stay home and combine wheat, so he told dad to go with grandpa Ole and help him run the engine one year. Been there ever since. The Grosz Avery, as we call it, was the source of our "steam illness." Heck, that engine, eventually, was the reason we decided to by our own 20 HP Avery. That, and the fact that one came for Sale that we could afford, but that is beside the point. I love the look of that engine. I was pretty young when that engine left the show, but love to see pictures of it. As I love the rest of the pictures posted. If you have more of that engine post them. We have some; I have to get them to the scanner and post. On a side note to my rambling, does anyone have any pictures of that engine after its paint job to look like the 40 Avery. We can't really find any in our picture books. I would really like to see it again in its "new clothes."

Thanks again,
                                                              Jace

Comment

Jace,

Thanks for the great information on that Avery. I am certainly making a note of that. I actually kind of thought when I was posting that, that I may be making an assumption about what engine it was. This is what makes this forum so great, all the collective information that people can provide. It will only keep getting better as we get more people to join and follow the threads here.

Where is this one now?

Darren

Comment

Darren,
                                                                  I don't think any of us are really sure where it went. Indiana or illinois
                                                                  maybe. The only thing I was told is that it was out of our price range at
                                                                  the time, Dad had three growing boys to feed then... Oh well that is
                                                                  how it goes.
                                                                  Grandpa can still pick out the differences between our machine and that machine. When he is around ours he always seems to find something to point out. "I think that Grosz Avery had this..." That
                                                                  makes it fun.

Jace

Comment

picture of mini oilpull

The young lad in glasses running Elmer's little OilPull is Tom Jungst. Tom ran it for many years. His Grandfather Walt and Dad Ed and uncle Walt Jr. were the originators of the Blacksmith shop exhibit, called "North American Family Museum of Blacksmithing"
                                                                    The miniature Minneapolis was built by Art Olson of Detroit Lakes in the early 50's. Normans castings were used. It was left outside behind Art's building in DL for many years, so it looked like an old unrestored engine. That must of been one of the last times it was shown at Rollag. It is still in the DL area.
                                                                    Last edited by darrelld; 11-29-2008, 09:28 PM. Reason: forgot a bit

Comment

I found this link full of pictures from the 1992 show the other day.

http://www.robertpence.com/mn_wmstr_...mstr_1992.html

Best,

Colt

Comment

Hey all,
                                                                        I'm looking for old illustrations of steam and gas tractors, equipment, threshing activities, etc. that could be used on WMSTR printed material. If you can help me with this or point me in the right direction I would appreciate it so much! An example of this would be the drawings from William A. Nelson (I think?) that are printed in the Stories and Poems of the Hills and Homes of Rollag book from the Endowment Fund. Anyone???

thanks!
                                                                        ~Crystal Aakre~
                                                                        "I'm a lifer!"

Comment

I recently picked up some slides the majority of them were taken at rollag in the late 50's or early 60's. I will give what info I know but as far as whos who I can't help much. There are some pics taken at Dalton but I will try to seperate. Enjoy!!!

First one is a 50hp Case in the far back left I believe in Danielsons Reeves

This is a 30hp Advance which I think is the one that is shown at Albany MN

Nelson's 20?hp Case

Erik "ned" Mars :smilie_flagge13:

Comment

Heres some early gas tractors

First one is either a 30-60 or a 22-45 Hart-Parr

second is a 30-60 Aultman Taylor

Third 35-70 Minneapolis

Comment

• #39
                                                                              More pictures

40hp Twin City

Not sure whose Minneapolis this is or what size but guessing 28hp theres a Nichols and Sheppard and the 30hp Advance in the background

Huber 25?hp

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Here's a picture of Nelsons model Gaar Scott I think the picture was taken in front of their shop in "downtown" Rollag

Here's a Nichols and Sheppard not sure of the size guessing 20ish hp

Danielsons 25hp Reeves

If anyone has any more info on theses pictures please let me know or if I got any info wrong let me know Thanks! More to come!!

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Those are great Ned. Keep them coming. I am glad those have survived and found their way to someone who cares. Too often stuff like slides get thrown out.

Darren

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Great pictures Ned... Thanks for sharing, and for bumping up an old thread I had forgotten about! We (forum) have been around a while, looking at the date Brian started the thread, way back on '07!
                                                                                    Mark

Fargo, ND

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Ned,
                                                                                      Very neat pictures. Keep them coming.

Pete

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Ned

The Gaar Scott Is still under construction in that pict. and the Huber I think is a 20Hp that was at the early shows. If it is that one it was a Nelson engine but not NB's. I will have to look in one of my old books to look up who's. Great photos!

Pat

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          The Huber that is pictured was owned by my great uncle Helmer Nelson and was sold at an auction back in the late 60's - before I knew enough words to tell my father to buy it. The engine I believe went to Iowa.
                                                                                          The Nicholson Shepard was also owned by Helmer Nelson this one was also sold at the same auction and is still in Minnesota in a museum. Helmer had driven the Nicholson Shepard home to Rollag from about 15 miles northeast of Detroit Lakes. I believe that it is the late John Neprud at the steering wheel as he spent a fair amount of time on the engine while it was at the show.
                                                                                          Brian
                                                                                          Brian K. Nelson

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Looking closer at the picture of the Huber I would say that it is Monrud Nelson operating. Monrud is the grandfather of Peter Nelson and the great-grandfather of Sean Nelson. Monrud was a brother of Helmer
                                                                                            Brian K. Nelson

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Thanks Brian for identifying Monrad. The multi generational steam obsession continues this year with both my girls attending the University of Rollag.
                                                                                              WMSTR FIRE DEPARTMENT
                                                                                              Safeguarding the past, in the present,
                                                                                              for the future.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                              X