Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirty Jobs Job

Dirty Jobs Job

I am sure this has been thought of before. But wouldn’t it be great to have Mike Rowe from the Discovery Channels, Dirty Jobs, come to help the crew clean the 353?

I was on the grounds on Saturday and witnessed some of the activity. After seeing how dirty Tim was, I think it qualifies as a dirty job. I heard Mike Rowe and the dirty jobs film crew were in Detroit Lakes last winter to raise a car from the bottom of a frozen lake. I have not seen that episode air yet.

Picture this
    • The segment starts with a short history and overview of WMSTR and shows footage of the 353, other steam traction engines in action and other footage taken during the show.
    • Mike meets the interesting, colorful and talented characters of the railroad crew.
    • They explain the process. Which may include cleaning firebox, grates, flues, and smoke box. Could also include some flue rolling or something like that. (I am not a steam guy). If you are a Dirty Jobs fan, you know Mike likes to get into some small and dirty places, like a firebox.
    • Couldn’t you see Jerry and Mike Rowe giving each other a hard time? Now that’s good TV!
    • With the cleaning done Mike helps the crew fire the 353.
    • The segment ends with Mike and the crew hooking up the cars and tooling around the rails of the show grounds. With Mike at the throttle pulling the whistle of the 353.
    Wow, talk about a Dirty Jobs episode that I think the vast majority of the audience would find very interesting. An episode that features an icon from the past, a steam train, the 353.

Holy publicity!

How could we sell this to the discovery channel?
    One thought would be to have a computer savvy knowledgeable Forum/WMSTR member, such as Mark, carefully construct a thread on the forum that explains the process. This could include pictures and video. It could also include some history and footage of the entire show. A link to this locked down thread could then be included with the submission to the dirty jobs web site, for a dirty jobs suggestion.

What do you think?
    Has this ever been discussed before?
    Of coarse the railroad crew would have to be up for it. Fame, Fortune, etc.
    Gary

Cool idea, and would get us a TON of publicity!

I think a good place to start is by sending Rowe some stills of how dirty we can get working on this stuff, and include a show book, a DVD and some history of the show.

We will have to investigate this!
    Mark

Fargo, ND

Comment

Dirty Jobs did an episode on cleaning a boiler of a steam boat. As anybody that has cleaned a boiler will tell you, it looked like they cleaned the boiler before Mike crawled into it.

Martin Holzschu

Comment

Now that you mention it, I did see that episode. Wasn't that an oil fired boiler? I am having trouble remembering the details...
        Mark

Fargo, ND

Comment

I don't think cleaning a boiler down in the bowls of a ship could compare to cleaning a coal fired boiler of a historical icon such as a steam locomotive.
          Gary

Comment

I opened a thread on the website for Dirty Jobs that you can recommend items for shows.

http://community.discovery.com/eve/f...m/f/8251971108

This is the link to what I started "Cleaning and Maintaining Steam Locomotives"

They indicated that as much detail as possible be submitted. I lack the expertise to post video or pics to the thread so I hope someone would add to the thread. The more hits on the thread may get it more attetion.

I would encorage Mark or Carl to add contact information if you feel it appropriate. I included our website address and a link to the recent thread with the pics of train cleaning.

Lets see what can happen.

Comment

Wonderful Idea! I had looked into it myself and even looked at the form to fill out for discovery channel but one of the rules is you must be 21. I'm sure that Dirty jobs could be formatted to follow the whole WMSTR railroad system as opposed to one aspect of it. (Most episodes I have seen have been on an individual level.)

Mike Rowe should help install grates in the Porter

EDIT
              I just checked the Dirty Jobs site and it has been changed since I last inquired about applying for the show. (over 6 months ago) A search to find the pdf file produced no results, I think they have switched to a community forum approach.
              Last edited by Spencer M; 09-19-2008, 09:25 PM.
              Spencer

Comment

Has anything happened with this?

If not, I would be happy to take the reigns and see what I can find out. It would be easy for me to get clips/photos etc for Discovery. - I'm all for getting dirty and getting in tight /precarious places, BUT I own and rent my cameras - Mike has a little deeper pocket book to replace suit covered cameras!

Comment

Tim,

If you are interested I can give you a contact for someone that was successful in communicating with Dirty Jobs and was setting up a contact. I am sure some inside information would go a long way. Send an E-mail or PM if you want the contact.

Rick
                  Rick H

Comment

Not that I'm kind of partial to the Railroad, but to lure in the Dirty Jobs crew I think we can include activities all over the grounds.
                    Over the years we have all done a bunch of jobs that were less than appealing. Jackhammering out the floor in the block potty comes to mind. What might help is to show all the dirty jobs on the grounds so they can kind of pick and choose and kind of expose the whole place. Most of the things done in any small town are done on the showgrounds by a group of individuals that are paid weakly. ( Not weekly )
                    Ken Ronsberg

Comment

I recently saw something to the effect the the dirty jobs show was produced by Mike Rowe Productions or something to that effect.

Many months back I used the Discovery Channel's process for recommending this. It didn't yeild any results.

Tim, You may want to pursue the production company directly.

Comment

Tim did you ever get a response??
                        Rick H

Comment

Rick,

I did not, however, I submitted another request over this past weekend to try and coax them out. Maybe we just should just mention he can swim in Gunderson if he's looking for something really dirty, afterall, I think we have a wide selection of things for him to try and drive!

Comment

Working...
                          X