X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big!

We are pretty proud of our BIG engines. However, if you are into stationary steam engines, here is a site that is REALLY BIG! Would you believe four (4) vertical, triple expansion steam engines, 103' tall and weighing 1400 tons each with flywheels weighing 40 tons each? I first learned about these engines from Ray Granstrom back in 1970 when we were working on the Villaume Engine. I just found out about this web site showing not only these engines but many other big triple and compound engines, steam rollers and shovels, trucks and lots more. Go to: http://cincinnatitriplesteam.org/

Wow! That is an amazing engine! I can't imagine the hours of engineering that went into it! Just mindboggling.
    [FONT=Georgia][SIZE=5][COLOR=black][B]Craig Mattson[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [B][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=1]WMSTR Lifetime Active Member[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=blue]# 56271[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=darkred][B]Where There's Smoke There's Fire;[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=#8b0000][B]Where There's Fire There's Steam;[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=#8b0000][B]And Where There's Steam There's HAPPINESS[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Very impressive Frank! Thank you for sharing!
      Mark

Fargo, ND

Comment

Originally posted by craig mattson View Post
        Wow! That is an amazing engine! I can't imagine the hours of engineering that went into it! Just mindboggling.
        That is quite something can you imagine the talent and skill that went into designing and building something like that? then to figure out how to make it run right. wow wow!!!

Comment

Frank,

This site occupied nearly two hours of my Saturday this weekend. Completely amazing the work and labor into the project!

Comment

In the farm scene, we loose sight of the steps taken in stationary engine practice to reduce the cost/horsepower. A few cents/HP/Hour makes a big difference at years end. These Cincinnati engines are a good example. First, I thought all three cylinders would be Corliss valve gear. They are not! They use both Corliss and Poppet valves. The cylinders are steam jacketed and the exhaust from both the HP and IP cylinders goes through reheaters to impart more energy into the steam. Volume 1 of Audel's Engineers & Mechanics guide gives a good insight into reheat and steam jacketing.

As another interesting point, on a trip through the Port Jefferson, New York, steam generating plant, I learned that they get so much heat out of the boiler furnace gases that they had to put a blower in the smoke stack to boost the gases up the stack. That wouldn't make for a very good spark show!

Comment

Working...
            X