Donut Day

louie

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Another month has passed and we are almost upon another donut day my favorite time there is no finer form of recreation I can think of probably the most enjoyable where else can copious amounts of useless information be shared in the interest of increasing the vast knowledge of everyone who attends there.now thatIjave that off my chest we can get down to business last work weekend / donut day quite a lot of work was done but we still have some left need to make a mount for a counterweight for the forklift Finnish the woods mower repair I'm also gonna add pint the garbage rings haven't cleared that with the boss yet that's about it but feel free to come and join in see if your useless information is better than anyone else who is sharing lunch will be served and of course donuts hope to see you there at Larson Welding this Saturday

It is hard to believe that February's Donut Day is almost here!

I am looking forward to seeing Rollag friends, having a donut with some coffee and a good noon meal. If we get a bit of work done for the show mixed in with all that, we will have a great day.

Did the flue work on the portable steam engine get finished last time? Or, will that be back in the shop for a bit more work?

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

Hi Ray,

I don't know if I will get to the Village when it is still dark, but I will meet you there.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

What a fun day lots of work done. Thanks to all who helped. Many thanks to Jim and Lynette for hosting the day and the use of the shop!

Hi all,

As Ray said, we got a lot done. A 'new' job showed up at the shop this month.

Dave G and Roger M have been working on a horse drawn, gasoline powered water pump that a fire department would use.

The two pictures below show the pump and a nozzle.

P_20200208_081410.jpg
A picture of another pumper is shown lying on the pump parts above. They brought some finished items, too.

A little different view is below.
P_20200208_081421.jpg
On the left side of the table we see the impellers of the positive displacement pump. The drive gears are on the on the back side. The nice red device with the spring is part of the pressure releif system. The next item to the right is a polished and finished two-man nozzle. On the far right, gasket material is sitting on top of the pump housing.

P_20200208_081604.jpg
A shot of the drive end of the pump. The pump is driven by the dogs on the right gear. When this was going back together I jokingly asked if they had lined up the timing marks. Then Dave showed me the timing marks.

Now you can tell which corner of the shop this project was in.
P_20200208_082923.jpg
Dave is on the right washing parts. He spent a lot of time at the parts washer on Saturday.
I need to write names down. I know that the fellow leaning on the gas bottles is Jim. I can't remember the names of the other two fellow looking at the pump and planning.

A while later they were at the press taking the drive gears off.
P_20200208_090143.jpg
The keys holding the gears were removed before they came to the press.

P_20200208_090122.jpg
Meanwhile, Dave was still washing parts as Roger looked on.

This was going on in the opposite corner of the main part of the shop.
P_20200208_090447.jpg
Brian cut some iron and was fitting pieces to make a drawbar for the pumper.

A close up of one of the impellers.
P_20200208_101234.jpg
Notice the 'keyway' through each vane of the impellers. A spring loaded T shaped piece fits in each keyway, this insures a good seal on the inside of the pump housing. Most of the Ts were stuck. They were all removed, then cleaned and polished until they worked freely.

Dave is still washing parts.

P_20200208_111354.jpg
Farther back in the corner, one of the impellers and clamped in a vise. A long strip of emery paper is being used to clean and polish the bearing surface of the shaft.

More after a bit.
Jerry Christiansen

Hi all,
More pictures from last Saturday.

Kenneth showed up.

P_20200208_110726.jpg
I saw that he was busy on his favorite lathe. He said the lathe was just barely big enough for the part he was making.

P_20200208_110752.jpg
The piece in his hand is a handle from one of the valves on the pump. He is making a mate for another valve on the pump. I didn't get a picture of the finished piece. It was done by the end of the day. He had to do a lot of filing to get the square hole in the middle.

Ray W snuck into the shop and was busy at his favorite lathe.

P_20200208_090100.jpg

Ray spent the day making a hub cap for the pumper. A picture of the nearly finished piece is below.

P_20200208_131806.jpg

The first thing that comes to my mind when I hear hub cap is correctly called a wheel cover. The piece you see is the cap that screws on the center of the wheel and protects the bearings. By the time Ray finished, the outside had smooth curves, the inside was hollowed out and threads were cut on the inside. Now the pumper will have four, matching brass hub caps.

The fellow below showed up and coached a several of us.
P_20200208_090129.jpg
When Wimpy showed up, we knew that Clayton was at home. If Clayton would have been gone from home, Wimpy would have been at Clayton's house.

Back to the pumper.

Sanders must not have been playing well with others, he got stuck way back in the corner on the lather back there.
P_20200208_090035.jpg
I didn't find out until the end of the day that he was working on the pumper, too. The bolts on the pump have heads that are taller than the standard bolts of today. Sanders made at least one bolt with a tall head to match the others. I didn't get a picture of the finished project. You will have to check out the pumper and look at them.

Here is the drawbar that Brian welded up.

P_20200208_134520.jpg

I bet Dave and Roger will had this painted and installed before I got the picture posted.

The pump is almost completely reassembled.
P_20200208_133528.jpg
The castings went through the sand blaster and are ready for paint. Any time Dave wasn't washing parts, he was sand blasting parts. Dave said it was a good thing they didn't try to turn the pump before they took it apart. It was about half full of acorns.

P_20200208_143045.jpg

The pump is together, on a sling and headed for Dave's pickup. We had quite a few folks working in various parts of the shop working on this project.

More after a bit,
Jerry Christiansen

65293696-7E0D-4DC7-9475-8E5D4FBFAD3A.jpeg Would anyone have a bell similar to the one in the picture? - preferably in brass and about 10” in diameter.. and willing to donate? Just a little detail that is missing on the pumper. When completed this pumper will be a show piece

It has 4 cylinder dual ignition motor - not sure of the specific engine mfg but the wagon and pump are mfg by Waterous Pump Company. The outfit has sat in the Nelson building for many years.

When Wimpy showed up, we knew that Clayton was at home. If Clayton would have been gone from home, Wimpy would have been at Clayton's house.

I wasn't at the work weekend due to traveling over to Two Inlets lumber for the house, And I made sure I took Jane with me. :rof: Not because who could of shown up but to make sure I brought the correct product back for the house.

Hi Jon,
Dave said it has a 5 in bore and a 7 inch stroke. If we did the math right, that is 665 cubic inches.

So far the only pictures I have show are people working on the pumper. Other projects were worked on, too.

The forklift was back in the shop again.
P_20200208_083255.jpg
Look carefully through the mast and you can see Louie working on the dash. He has to update the wiring so that when the key was turned to the off position the alternator wouldn't keep back feeding the ignition. In other words, he had to fix it so it wouldn't burn all the gas in the tank.

Apparently, this thing was a bit light in the backend and needed a bit more ballast.

P_20200208_092251.jpg
Ned and Al found a big lump of iron out in the backyard somewhere. When they picked it up it left quite a divot. The torch is busy warming the iron enough so the ice could get chipped off.

P_20200208_101130.jpg

Ned welded a couple pieces of angle iron on the back of the forklift. Here you can see the lump sitting on top of the weight that was there.

Al and Ned thought the weight needed a bit of dressing up. Ned went to his pick up and came back with stuff like this.
P_20200208_115112.jpg

I wonder is Liz knows what kind of stuff Ned keeps in his vehicle.

The final product is shown below.
P_20200208_121907.jpg

I am not sure how the hand grips are supposed to work. If you look close you can see a piece of flat iron is welded on the angle irons on either side. The shaft passes through the flat irons and a hole in the lump of iron. A bolt on either side keeps the shaft from sliding out. Pretty neat idea. The lump can't fall off, but it can easily be removed.

We finished up the Woods mower. In the first picture in this post you can see part of the hitch in front of the fork lift.

P_20200208_093638.jpg

The belt is in place. That is not a cheap belt. Notice the idler pulley. You can't see it, but we added a grease zerk on the pivot point. A person will need to take the cover off and grease that. It probably needs to be greased a couple times during the season.

We decided not to put the blades on before the mower gets to the show grounds. That way we don't have to worry about bending the blades when it gets picked up with the fork lift.

Notice where the blades are stored.

P_20200208_135909.jpg

After we put the lid back on, the blades and the pins that hold them in place should be safe. If someone puts this in gear before the this area is cleared out, it could be an interesting racket and we may need to buy another new blade. Notice the remote grease zerk on the spindle. It should only need a pump or two of grease.

Finished and ready to go back to the hill.

P_20200208_140326.jpg

We got the guards straightened and put back on the front.

More later,
Jerry Christiansen

Hi all,

My last set of pictures from the February Work Weekend.

The portable Case steam engine was back in the shop.

P_20200208_090223.jpg

I believe all the tubes were put in place last month. Last Saturday the crew was working on rolling them.

P_20200208_090254.jpg
The clamp on, battery powered light on the lower right hand side was really a neat tool. Those guys just about needed sun glasses when they were working in here.

P_20200208_111116.jpg

The smoke box end is done and now we are in the fire box. I don't know whose head we are looking at.

I stopped over later for this shot.
P_20200208_142352.jpg

It was pretty noisy this time. All the tubes are rolled and they are beading them over.

A couple other friends stopped during the day to check on us.

P_20200208_101118.jpg

Hartley is on the left talking to Roger. If you look carefully you can see Gerry P in the behind Kenneth talking to Ray.

At the end of the day we did some clean up and the front wheels for the American Able came back inside.

P_20200208_150320.jpg

P_20200208_150329.jpg

By Monday all the snow should be melted off and the crew can put this back on. Notice the worm gear for the steering.
Did any other steam engines have a narrow front?

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

Hi Jerry,
A few things on your posts and pics. First thanks for taking the pics and posting them!!
As far as the American Abell and the tricycle front end I'm 99% sure no other company made a narrow front steamer. I want to say that they (American Abell) even had issues with the front sinking in the ground in soft conditions. There's pics of front wheel extensions on some of the engines basically an extra set of wheels on the outside of the front yoke.
As far as the tassels I thought we were going to be working on the new 3 wheeled plow for a certain Clay county plow operator and I figured he would like them!!

Oh yeah one more fun fact.
People at the show had asked if a half scale 150 Case would be a 75hp Case and of course I would joke around and say yes.
But in all seriousness if one was to make a half scale of the 150 the portable that was in the shop would be extremely close in barrel size and engine size. Not exactly but really close I thought that was kinda neat when you think about the size of other half scales

I got to thinking about the tricycle front end and a guess technically there was a few manufacturers that made a narrow front Avery ,Aultman double star ,and the 20th century. But none of those had wheels tight together like the Abell

Ned,

Thanks for the clarification about the tassels, that make perfect sense. They would improve visibility in low-light and snowy conditions thus allowing others on the road to see Doxey easier.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

Oh yeah one more fun fact.
People at the show had asked if a half scale 150 Case would be a 75hp Case and of course I would joke around and say yes.
But in all seriousness if one was to make a half scale of the 150 the portable that was in the shop would be extremely close in barrel size and engine size. Not exactly but really close I thought that was kinda neat when you think about the size of other half scales

Hi Ned,

I think a quick answer is to look at a 110Hp Case and then at a 1/2 scale 110Hp Case. The 1/2 scale is not close to a 50Hp.

If someone wants more explanation, we can go into that.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

Back