Fate of the 353

Spencer M

Intermediate Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
There is no escaping the fact that one day this beautiful engine will have to be retired from service. The cost of a new boiler is, as I have been told, ~500,000 dollars. In speaking with my dad about what can be done, he suggested that there be a campaign to "save the 353" I am wondering what the opinions of the members are regarding this. One thing I feel very strongly about is what will be its disposition after it is retired. Will it be set outside? I feel that it should be stored inside the roundhouse, to minimize the long term weathering. I would like to do anything I can to help keep the 353 in semi ready state for ~50 more years. In short, if i can guarantee funding for the boiler, can the organization guarantee the proper storage until the money is raised?

just my thoughts
spencer

:ditto:

I think that you're on the right track with the "Save the 353" campaign. Do a little write up and we could start an endowment fund for it and hand out some brochures at the show. I'm sure that the board will not leave it sit out in the rain....right?!

Back