It Finally Arrived!

Got tired of working out in the cold and wind on Saturday afternoon, so decided to take my bride for a Blizzard. Is there anything better to do, than have cold ice cream on a chilly afternoon? Vickie has one up on Jane, she did not want to drive today. But I won't have to worry about her wanting to take it to work (at least I don't think so!).

DQ-2.jpg

Cool Clayton!

Does the big rig have a good heater?

That is going to look really sharp hooked up to your trailer when you get it done!

Very cool Clayton!:thumb: I wish someone would take me out for a blizzard in something as cool as that!

Yes Mark, it has a real good heater. I was quite impressed the first time we used it, in that we had to shut it off it got so hot in the cab.

Have had some wandering problems at higher vehicle speeds but I think I'am getting a handle on that now.

Got the cable wrapped on to the winch drum and that went well. Need to give a special thank you to Jim's Towing (George) for supplying the cable.:thumb:

Todd Hintz;10455 said:
The Bible says not to covet, but that truck is making it tough...it sure will look good going down the road with the Russell behind it. I'm sure you could run that even at good old 55 mph and be having a ball with it.

I agree!!!`

We made our monthly trip to the Sabin Community Center for breakfast today, where you can normally find many of our fellow WMSTR members enjoying breakfast and the normal conversations.

100_3597-2.jpg

Just started down the road towards Sabin. Finally got Jane talked into driving the truck.

100_3605-2.jpg

She's pulling into Sabin and being very careful at the RR tracks.

100_3606-2.jpg

Heading home after breakfast. Didn't get a picture, but Wimpy showed up driving his 1970 Cadillac.

Jane looks better behind the wheel than you do Clayton!

I miss all the fun on Sundays! I would like to go to that breakfast sometime. Maybe if it ever falls on a vacation week for me.

Have you checked your fuel mileage yet Clayton?

Clayton and Jane,
Looks like a fun trip. It sure is a nice looking truck and I am sure it looks real impressive traveling down the road.

Pete

Mark, Pete

As we were traveling down the highway and the big rigs that go over the road were trying to pass us:rof:, I thought they were honking their horn at the truck. But maybe they were honking at Jane:duh:.

Mark, we have not checked the mileage yet as we have three tanks and they have not gone dry yet. This must mean we are getting good mileage, right?:bump:

cjmlarson;10567 said:
Mark, Pete

As we were traveling down the highway and the big rigs that go over the road were trying to pass us:rof:, I thought they were honking their horn at the truck. But maybe they were honking at Jane:duh:.

Mark, we have not checked the mileage yet as we have three tanks and they have not gone dry yet. This must mean we are getting good mileage, right?:bump:

Or, they're really big tanks! :Shrugs:

That's a sweet ride! Congrajillashun!

cjmlarson;10567 said:
Mark, Pete

Taking nothing away from Jane, but I am betting they were impressed seeing the old truck restored like that. It will really turn heads when you get a trailer hooked on behind it!

That is very VERY NICE. I'm looking forward to seeing that live. Just curious though--why not Russell red and yellow? -John

John, I guess I wanted to keep it the original green. Those colors would have stood out though. Maybe I will paint the lowboy those colors!!!!

I have a few pictures to share with you that show what I had to do to get the PTO to correctly fit the transmission. The problem was, the tooth pitch on the PTO did not match the tooth pitch on the transmission. And the PTO was old enough that there are no parts available.

100_3113-2.jpg

This is the original PTO. It is unique in that it is a reversible PTO. Most PTOs are a single speed, single direction PTO.

100_3158.jpg

For those of you that don't understand my rambling, here is a picture showing what I mean by the tooth pitch being different.

Photo12301808-2.jpg

I disassembled the PTO and went over to my good neighbor Roger Meyer, so I could use his turning lathe. I found out what machining HARD transmission gears was like. I machined the teeth off of the original PTO gear that were wrong.

Photo12301810-2.jpg

I went scavenge hunting for a gear that had the correct pitch on the teeth. When I found that, I had to machine it so that it would fit my PTO. Here you will see I am machining the inside of the gear, so that it will eventually fit on the previously machined PTO gear.

Photo12311015-2.jpg

This picture shows the old machined PTO gear with the correct pitch gear machined out in the center and ready to be pressed together.

Photo12311643-2.jpg

I machined them so there was a .003 interference fit. Then I used loc-tite and pressed them together. I do not have a picture of this, but I also drilled 6 holes around the circumference of the machined area, halfway in the original gear and halfway in the new gear. Then I pressed in roll pins, to make sure they do not spin between each other.

Photo01010912-2.jpg

Just a picture showing the completed PTO, which now mounts up to the transmission with correct backlash between the teeth.

Wow Clayton... you never cease to amaze me with the creative way you have of dealing with problems you encounter! I would have never thought of solving the problem that way.

Congratulations!!!

Well Mark, there was a lot of daydreaming and sleepless nights trying to come up with a plan to solve this issue. Main reason was I wanted to keep the reversible PTO and not buy a new one.

Also still dealing with the wandering problem at higher vehicle speeds:soapbox: I think after tonight I made a lot of progress. Have been playing with the caster angles and it is getting better:woohoo1:. I still have to remember it is a 1946 and there is only so much I can do.

Craig, are you asking about the wandering problems? If so post #24 talks about it wandering at higher vehicle speeds.

If you are asking about something else, let me know.

Back