James Buckwalter voice recording - early years at Rollag

Brian K. Nelson

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Hi Everyone,
Not sure how many "old timers" remember James Buckwalter from Jamestown, ND. He passed away in the mid 1970's. He attended many shows. James ran one of the big old Oil Pulls during the show (I assume probably Elmer Larson's - please correct me if I'm wrong - not sure where the tractor is now - perhaps it is still on the grounds). Anyway when James was at the show he usually stayed at my parents farm just a mile north of the show grounds. I remember him quite well as I was growing up, sometimes his wife would come along.
A couple of years ago I was surfing the web and ran across Craig Maas's website talking about his visit to Rollag that particular year. In his writing he wrote that his Father was a nephew to James Buckwalter. I emailed Craig and told him that we had an old cassette recording of James and his wife from the early '70's. My brother had a new tape recorder and he recorded them talking one evening after the show. I found the tape and made a copy for Craig. He posted it to his web site - here it is:
http://www.craigmaas.net/2004/buckwalter.html

if you hear the little kid in the background - that is me..
icon10.gif

enjoy..

Great post Brian. I listened to the audio and tried to imagine what it must have been like on the grounds all those years ago!

It was sure nice of you to dig up that recording for the family.:thumb:

Back