My new Model A Ford

Discussion in 'Antique Vehicles on the Hill' started by Pete Mandt, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Pete Mandt

Pete Mandt WMSTR President WMSTR Lifetime Member

I am so excited I had to post some pictures of my new Model A. I made a deal on it this morning and drove it home this afternoon. It is a 1931 Model A Ford Fordor sedan. It needs new tires in order to put the correct wheels back on it but other than that it is ready to go (like all Fords). Looking forward to driving it to Rollag next summer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. M Kerkvliet

M Kerkvliet WMSTR Past President Administrator WMSTR Lifetime Member

Katy will want a ride!

I want to drive one! What kind of transmission does it have?

3. Pete Mandt

3 speed manual with no synchro. I am not sure a truck driver like you could figure it out but Vicki is good at it. It does not have the 3 pedals and auxiliary trans like my T that probably scares you.

4. M Kerkvliet

I have never driven a pedal transmission yet. I want to some time!

No synchro...? Right up my alley! 2.5 million miles with those!

5. Merlyn Meyer

Merlyn Meyer Intermediate Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Nice "A", Pete. It must have a Murray body with its three side windows. This makes it a cut above the standard model. I have a "29 coupe with a rumble seat. A's were a great car, anyone with a plier and a screwdriver could get them to run. Have fun with it.

Merlyn

6. Todd Hintz

Todd Hintz Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Very nice, Pete. I'm jealous!

7. s.d. jon

s.d. jon Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

A

I'm jealous too! Looks like snow tires on the back. Maybe you should leave them on for a while.

8. Pete Mandt

So Mark K wants to drive one and s.d. jon is jealous. I wonder why? Are they both Dodge guys? Yes, they are. I am sure they are aware of the carefree, troublefree, fuel sipping, happy motoring miles that all Fords provide and would like to experience it but won't admit it! :rof:

Ted, Vicki and I had the A out for a 40 mile drive today and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Pete

9. M Kerkvliet

Hmmm... Per Ted Mandt somewhere else in cyberspace...

"You try sitting in the back and me and mom will ride up front and you can freeze"

So... apparently Fords not only lack heat on the passenger side, they also have issues with the back seat! :rof::rof::rof::rof:

Boy... My Dodge pickup is toasty warm, front and back! How about yours Jon?

10. craig mattson

craig mattson Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Very nice whels Pete. Nice to see someone else out there appreciates the reliability of Ford.:yes2:

11. s.d. jon

s.d. jon Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

model a

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Wasn't Thanksgiving a Beautiful Day?! Was out in the shop when look what showed up....Pete out for a cruise in his Model A. That really is a nice original car, he even let me drive it. (Mark, you gotta try it!) Worked in the shop most of the day, got in a nice bike ride and came home to a meal good enough to put me in my recliner for the rest of the night! Hope you all had a Great Thanksgiving too.

12. Pete Mandt

I like the pictures Jon. I ended up putting just over 200 miles on the "A" over Thanksgiving break. The only trouble I had was the fuel screen plugging every 40-50 miles and the one time I ran out of gas. The fuel gauge was not working but it does now.

Hopefully my new tires show up in the next few days. Then it will be on new rubber all the way around and I can also get rid of those dorky front wheels.

13. 1930Ford

1930Ford classicfarmer WMSTR Lifetime Member

SHE"S BEAUTIFULL!Roomy ,economical,and probably starts on its own when cold-I had to pull the plymouth with a FORD to go driving on Thanksgiving. Bob J.(1930 Ford)...............any hints to make 41 plymouth start in cold weather would be VERY helpfull-motor is new-all parts are new and tested for function -battery is big--????.

14. craig mattson

craig mattson Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

I am pretty sure the only solution here is to get a reliable vehicle. Get a Ford! :smilie_flagge13::thumb:
    [​IMG]
    First
    On
    Race
    Day
    :thumb::thumb:

15. Stan

Stan Junior Poster

U should get a '31 chev--overhead valve---they start better than the L-head plymouth. I'd sure like to have a '49. I just love them !!!!!!!

16. Pete Mandt

Just got done mounting new tires on the "A" Here are a couple of pictures showing the "A" sporting new shoes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a picture right before we went for a drive. It was only 12 degrees outside, I was comfy but Vicki claimed to be chilly. You may notice the cowl lights are not on, they do work but they are used as parking lights. I asked Vicki if we would be parking and was told to leave them off. Maybe next time.

[​IMG]

17. M Kerkvliet

Sounds vaguely familiar... She must have been on the passenger side! :rof:

Nice looking tires Pete! Really improved the front end!

18. Todd Hintz

Todd Hintz Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

I like the new tires too....big difference! And the "parking lights" issue? No need to explain, Pete. Been there!

19. Pete Mandt

Not much activity on the Forum lately so I figured I would update you on my A. I had a goal of putting on 1,000 miles by the New Years. I figured that would be pretty good since I bought it on November 16th. I fell short of it by about 80 miles. Here is is a picture of it the day Vicki, Ted and I took off and went to Fairmount ND, Hankinson ND, Great Bend ND, Tyler ND and then over to Doran MN.

[​IMG]

Since then we took it to Elbow Lake MN for my Mother-in-Laws birthday. It is a 49 mile mile drive one way and we did it at 45-50 MPH. On the way home we drove to Rosholt SD to visit SD Jon and Gayle.

We also drove it to my sisters on Christmas Eve and went to the In-Laws on Christmas Day by Norcross MN.

I just put new kingpins in it 4 days ago, should have done that before I put all the miles on. What a difference that made.

Last night I had my first experience driving it on snow covered, icy, washboard gravel roads. Need to go slow or you could have a wreck.

Looking forward to more nice weather so we can cruise around some more.

Pete

20. Pete Mandt

This is the view out the windshield on one of the romantic evening drives in the A.

[​IMG]