Old Photos

Ned

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
I thought I would post some original cabinet photos from my collection. Most of the photos are of Reeves and Peerless both of companies were acquired by Emerson Brantingham in 1912. I'm going to do my best at guess the size but admit I'm not 100% sure on some.
Anyone and Everyone please feel free to post any pics you have.

Enjoy!!

Reeves are up first. Most of them being 32hp.

First one is a 32hp Reeves with the rear bunker removed and placed on the plow. I was thinking that this was a steam lift plow but I don't see any steam cylinders so now I'm leaning towards a Case-Sattley plow
Reeves 1.jpg

Here's another 32hp Reeves
Reeves 2.jpg
32hp Reeves with a steam lift plow. I think you can kind of make out a cylinder under the horses head. Note the wagon tender this might be the same exact set as the first picture. It could possibly be the same outfit too that would be neat but I'm pretty sure I got them at different times
Reeves 5.jpg

Some more Reeves
I believe this is either a 20hp or 25hp. Note that the rear wheels have round spokes that were cast into a cast iron wheel later on around the time EB bought Reeves out they went on to more of a traditional rear wheel with flat spokes and a rolled steel wheel.
Reeves 3.jpg

Here's my last Reeves one and probably my personal favorite.
I would guess this engine is a 20hp. I enjoy how it appears that they just lifted the barn and placed a wagon in each corner to move the building.
Reeves 4.jpg

On to Peerless now and I admit I don't know much about the sizes of these engines so I will just post pictures. Please if you know feel free to chime in. Sorry about the quality of some of the photos remember most of them are around 100+ years old.

Peerless1.jpg Peerless2.jpg

If you notice on the photo previous and the next one the easiest way to tell a Peerless it the spokes in the rear wheel Peerless used heavy round bars for spokes. Also a neat side note if you compare the two engines you'll notice that the flywheels are on different sides Peerless built them with flywheels on either side

Peerless3.jpg

Last one for a while until I do some more digging.

This photo is one that ran in a newspaper this is the proof photo that the paper used so with that being said the is a short story that came with it and the exact date.

Story first:
Thresher Proves Instrument of Death
Three farmers were killed when the boiler to this threshing machine exploded at Advance N.C. The terrific blast threw the heavy machine six feet and left it up-ended against a truck. The same thresher last summer ran over and killed a small boy. 28 years ago, The father and uncle of one of the victims were killed in the same field by a similar thresher boiler blast 2/19/37.

Peerless4.jpg

Great picture one again Erik. The last one is very interesting (explosion). From the way it came apart I wonder if it was a lap seam boiler and that seam came apart?

Your knowledge of these old engines is very impressive! Bet you and Pedersen can talk for hours!

Back