Original Steamer Photos

Discussion in 'Steam Traction Engines' started by Ned, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Ned

Ned Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Case Threshing Scene 2.jpg

A full Case threshing outfit the engine is either a 65hp or 80hp

2. Ned

Case Threshing Scene.jpg

Another Case threshing outfit engine is probably 45hp on the original or high def version of this photo you can see "keep off" painted on the rear bunker right above the Ol' Abe decal

3. Ned

Gaar Scott and Thresher.jpg

Gaar-Scott threshing outfit looks like its traveling through a town when the photo was taken. Also neat how you can see the shadow on the person taking the photo

4. Ned

Panoramic Threshing.jpg
    Not the best quality photo kinda faded out right in the most important spot. This is a Sawyer-Massey threshing outfit.

5. Ned

Oliver Corn Shredder.jpg

Another gas tractor I warned that there might be one or two. This is an early Oliver pulling a silage chopper

6. Ned

Oliver Planter.jpg
    Another Oliver / Hart Parr tractor pulling a grain drill or at least was but it looks like it broke down

7. Ned

Plowing Scene.jpg

Large Advance steamer plowing

8. Darren Gunderson

Darren Gunderson 20 Minneapolis #8702 Crew WMSTR Lifetime Member

I really liked the Gaar Scott one with the shadow of the Photographer. You can almost have a clue as to what size the camera was that was taking the shot.

9. Ned

Westinghouse Cyanotype.jpg

An early Aultman (later becoming Aultman/Taylor) that fell through a bridge. This engine had a vertical boiler much like Ol' Smokie that Kenneth used to run around on at WMSTR

10. Ned

Yuba1.jpg I going to post a couple picture of this Yuba Ball tread. You can just make out Model 20-35 No. 967 on the gas tank. I wonder if it's still exists?

11. Ned

Yuba2.jpg Yuba3.jpg Yuba4.jpg Yuba5.jpg

A few more of the Yuba Ball Tread Tractor

12. Ned

Pioneer through bridge.jpg

Steam engines weren't the only ones that had troubles crossing bridges. The is a Pioneer gas tractor that went through a bridge

13. Ned

Plane and Traction Engine.jpg

I think this is a really cool photo. The engine is a Russell hauling a bunch of gravel wagons being buzzed by a early almost Wright brothers like airplane

DOXEY41 and s.d. jon like this.
  14. Ned

Port Huron Threshing.jpg

Port Huron Engine and a Case threshing machine

15. Ned

Reeves Steam Plow 3.jpg

32hp Reeves breaking the pairie

16. Ned

Reeves1.jpg

Smaller maybe a 20-25hp Reeves pulling a plow

17. Ned

Portable Threshing Panorama.jpg

This an unidentified portable steam engine. Note instead of horse this crew used oxen. This is an extremely early photo probably taken pre 1880. This photo came out of an east coast collection I want to say Virginia.

18. Darren Gunderson

Darren Gunderson 20 Minneapolis #8702 Crew WMSTR Lifetime Member

The picture above of the vertical Aultman is particularly interesting as the print is a cyanotype. This process was used for a while for photographic prints but is much better known as the process used to make blueprints from original drawings. I have made a few myself and it is an interesting process. I was excited to see this one when I was working on this set of photos.

I have also spent time looking at the one with the airplane in it to determine if it is a composited shot.

19. M Kerkvliet

M Kerkvliet WMSTR Past President Administrator WMSTR Lifetime Member

I like the one of the 32 Reeves plowing. I wonder if it steamed any harder than Mark Pedersen's 32 in New Rockford. I have run it for quite a few years and it is a really cool engine to parade, but a lot of work to fire if you are going to do any work with it.

20. DOXEY41

DOXEY41 Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Airplane shot is awesome!