Reverser box

Discussion in 'Stationary Gas and Diesel Engines' started by cjmlarson, Feb 5, 2017.

1. cjmlarson

cjmlarson Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Had another good day at Roger's, we finished the taper on the clutch end of the shaft, and then cut key ways for the gear end of the shaft.

IMG_20170303_185819030.jpg

IMG_20170303_185810958.jpg

Then it was to cut the notch for the locking washer that goes under the nut that holds all this together on the gear box end
    IMG_20170303_194024903.jpg

Here it is with the clutch assembled and the measurements checked and looks like all will fit together like I hoped. Now it is time to turn it over and start to assemble the gear box side.
    Need to give a big thanks to Roger's Machine Shop for all the help and expertise on getting this done correctly

M Kerkvliet likes this.
  2. cjmlarson

I guess I should put the picture in that I talked about. IMG_20170304_173308710.jpg

M Kerkvliet likes this.
  3. M Kerkvliet

M Kerkvliet WMSTR Past President Administrator WMSTR Lifetime Member

Can't wait to see this all together and running! I am in awe of you attention to detail Clayton and Roger's machining skill. It all fits together to tell a great story! Thanks for sharing here!

4. cjmlarson

Was able to flip the housing over today and put the gear box together. IMG_20170304_180056997.jpg

IMG_20170305_185048681.jpg

IMG_20170305_185105046.jpg

Now I need to move onto making a hub with a PTO stub on it.

5. cjmlarson

Well it is done, now for some paint and get the engine out of storage and bolt it up. Then make a adapter so I can hook it up to the Prony brake.

IMG_20170306_182226830.jpg

IMG_20170306_182257242.jpg
    This is just a beast of a gear box. It has 4" out put shaft.

JLWithers and M Kerkvliet like this.
  6. cjmlarson

We had a good turn out of help at the work weekend, so Ray W. said he needed to help me with the hub for the PTO drive for the out put shaft :help2:. I decided to let him help and I was pleasantly surprised at how he handled himself and was a joy to work with o_O.Neither one of us new how to work the big broach (spelling) of Jim's but with some schooling it turned out quite well for a couple of rookies.:biglaugh: IMG_20170311_095051263.jpg

He did leave at noon and I had to finish this myself so it should work ;).... Got it welded up with the professional help of Noah. The welds look like a robot did them:thumb:. Thank you Noah.

IMG_20170311_171720588.jpg
    Got home and put it together and I think it will work.

7. M Kerkvliet

Is that 1000 RPM spline Clayton?

8. cjmlarson

Yes it is Mark, there is a story for that. I will explain later.

9. Ray Wangler

Ray Wangler Intermediate Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Clayton and I sure had fun on that adapter! Andrew Martinson gave the class on the pull broach and made it easy even for a couple apprentices like us. It sure is nice to have those young fellows like Andrew and Noah teaching us old dogs how the world of machining works! The experience they get working full time at Larson Welding has to produce an unprecedented learning curve. Thanks to Jim and the guys in the shop for letting us have all that fun.

10. cjmlarson

Ok Mark, I put the 1000 spline on because I am not sure if a 540 spline will handle 200 HP and all the torque. After talking with Jerry C. we will still be able to hook to the 540 gear box side of the brake but use a 1000 spline on the engine end. If all else fails we can still put an adapter on the 1000 spline to go back to 540. This is still a work in progress so we will see if all will work.:praying:

11. cjmlarson

Tonight was a huge night. It was time to see if all the measuring I did, and told Roger what I wanted was going to work or not. All I can say is all is good :dancingparty:.

IMG_20170314_155851633.jpg
    Cleaning up a bit and then to find out how it will fit.

IMG_20170314_163134300.jpg
    It went together better than I hoped it would. I did have to remove the pony motor flywheel to get it back in place.

IMG_20170314_171050170.jpg
    After having this thing apart for seven months and completely re engineering it I am pleased that all fit together just as I intended it to. Now just need to give it a try after I make a couple braces that go back to the rear mounts on the gear box.

M Kerkvliet and edin like this.
  12. Darren Gunderson

Darren Gunderson 20 Minneapolis #8702 Crew WMSTR Lifetime Member

Wow, that looks great. What a monster of an engine.
    Darren

13. M Kerkvliet

Looks 1st class +++! I am sure it will be at the steam-up in a few weeks?

That 1000 RPM shaft looks ridiculous on the back end of the rest of that iron! Crazy!

14. Jerry Christiansen

Jerry Christiansen Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Hi Clayton,

Kind of what Mark said, I hope we see that at Steam Up. We should be able to get a shaft put arranged so that the Blue Brake can do a bit of testing.

Later,
    Jerry Christiansen

craig mattson likes this.
  15. cjmlarson

Well, that is what I will be shooting for. A few things to finish up and if all goes well we will be there.

craig mattson likes this.