Roped-off Area for Show

Mallands

Intermediate Poster
In the newsletter it said that the area in the woods would be roped off to all golf carts, etc. I understand the need for this, but my dad is 83 and my mom is 74 and are not capable of walking all over. If they can't use the golf cart to get to all places, I am sure they would not come. Can an exception be made for the handicapped?

They will need to have a handicapped sticker on their cart, or ride one of the handicapped shuttles that are available. We will also have some carts assigned to giving rides to handicapped persons. Handicapped stickers are available from your Dr.

I hope all understand why we can no longer have free reign for carts and 4-wheelers in the most congested areas of the grounds. It is probably the biggest complaints we get from our visitors every year. The Main Street area has been off limits for years... we are just expanding a little.

I have the last few years had a four-wheeler to haul my tool box to my engine on the minature sawmill, and also if I have to get things for the engine I use it for that. Most of the time during the day it sets by our coal bunker. Am I going to be able to keep it there and use it as I have in the past?:(

Jason Lange;2137 said:
I have the last few years had a four-wheeler to haul my tool box to my engine on the minature sawmill, and also if I have to get things for the engine I use it for that. Most of the time during the day it sets by our coal bunker. Am I going to be able to keep it there and use it as I have in the past?:(

As it stands now Jason, if you can haul your tools to the sawmill before 7 AM (it might be 8 AM) and get it back out of there... then pick up your stuff after 5 PM, you will be fine. Between those hours are when the area will be closed off to all but essential vehicles (to include carts delivering food and ice cream to food stands, supplies to restrooms, etc.) These vehicles will have special permits.

There will be areas yet to be defined that will be used for parking these vehicles if you come in from a campground. Right now we are thinking one such area may be across the road from the admin building along the rope on the grass, perhaps another one down by the blue water tank, and another one near the snob hill crossing.

There will be a map of the areas where the parking spots and where restricted areas are at the admin building in the near future. as soon as we have it clearly defined, I will post it here too.

PLEASE understand folks... we have to do something about this problem. Another solution some shows use for this problem is to ban golf carts and 4 wheelers from their premisis all together. Nobody wants that to happen, so lets all try to work together towards an amicable solution. It has been working fine on main street, and in the horsepower area... we can make the expanded area work too.

By the way... This rule will apply to Directors and Officers too! No special exceptions for us either!

What about the old cars that are driven in that area. Model T's and A's that are parked up by miniature land and run in the parades.

M Kerkvliet;2138 said:
As it stands now Jason, if you can haul your tools to the sawmill before 7 AM (it might be 8 AM) and get it back out of there... then pick up your stuff after 5 PM, you will be fine. Between those hours are when the area will be closed off to all but essential vehicles (to include carts delivering food and ice cream to food stands, supplies to restrooms, etc.) These vehicles will have special permits.

Personally, I feel this is a great idea. I think having tons of carts and vehicles in the congested areas detracts from the ambiance of the exhibits etc. I realize this has been, and will be a sticky issue to tread around while everyone becomes acclimated. I know that I'm an able bodied person, and will stay out of the roped off areas this year, and just 'pack-mule' around the video equipment in these areas. (I need the exercise anyways)

The personal vehicles are a great item to get you from 'point a' to 'point b' especially if your work area is across the grounds from your campsite, however in addition to keeping us out of the hi-traffic areas, we as a group need to keep some of the youngters off the carts that see them as a joy-riding opportunity. - I can see this being a serious liability on the grounds. Is there actually a minimum age limit allowed to operate personal vehicles on the grounds during the showtime?

Another area we should try and keep tabs on is inside both the Nelson and TMB buildings. The main doors are fire doors and are not to be blocked by persons standing, or vehicles in case of fire emergency. Not to mention, they really echo inside the buildings.

I do agree however, on the usage of vechicles, or the utilization of the shuttles for our disabled and handicap visitors and volunteers.

That's my two cents as usual. -

I see the problem we have with all the golfs carts and four wheelers, but we are also a very big show. Some people need these carts to get around and also get things for there equipment. The problem I see is the JOY-RIDDING done by the younger people that have nothing to do but drive around and bother our guest. I hope the pick-up that has all the tools for the Minature sawmill can park by the sawmill, I would hate to lose him because of this new rule. I also hope that there is a parking area close for the steam engineers in minature land, having to walk a long ways for our supplies, like oil and things for our engines and food for us doesn't make sense, thats why we had the tranportation.:confused:

We know this is going to be an adjustment Jason. Can you not get all of your supplies in there before the show starts? Do you have a secure area to store things like your tools, and steam cylinder oil, supplies, etc? We have a few oil sheds around the grounds for things like this, albiet not in miniature land. Perhaps that is a need that needs to be addressed.

As far as a pickup in miniature land... this is mostly personal, but I think there are far too many vehicles parked in exhibit areas on the show grounds. Except in extreme cases, they should all be out in the workers parking area... not in exhibit areas, or in the campgrounds. We already have rules (largely ignored) that prohibit vehicles in the workers campgrounds during show time. EVERYONE who violates this that we talk to has some excuse. My vehicles... tools and all... are in workers parking from Thursday AM until Monday PM... and I am a steam engineer operating Jim's 40 avery.

What it comes down to is that we all need to work to make our show better, and our exhibit areas cleaner, and more appropriate. Like Tim said...
dachtera said:
I know that I'm an able bodied person, and will stay out of the roped off areas this year, and just 'pack-mule' around the video equipment in these areas. (I need the exercise anyways)

I will be following the rules as well, and heaven knows the excercise will not hurt me any. There will be a map available soon to let all know where the routes are (and the off limit areas) and where the parking area are. Again, this is only going to be in effect from about 6 or 7 AM until 5 or 6 PM. After that you can ride in the restricted areas.

Please find a way to cooperate, and make this work.

I will haul my tools back with me to the campground every night, I have had to many tools and things been stolen over the years that I won't keep anything up there anymore. As far as the pickup with the tools, I hope that all the other sawmill are doing the same as we will be!!! Some of my people are getting older and can't get around like they could in the past. I just hope I have some people to run the mill after all this is in place.:praying:

Jason Lange;2166 said:
I see the problem we have with all the golfs carts and four wheelers, but we are also a very big show. Some people need these carts to get around and also get things for there equipment.

We had a board meeting tonight and discussed this a little further.

You will be happy to know Jason, that your 4 wheeler will be allowed in the area for the show. After discussing this a little, we understand that some of you in that area have needs that it would be difficult to "hoof" things back and forth from... who knows where! The decision was made to issue special permits for these sorts of needs on a case by case basis. This goes for larger vehicles too. See the ladies in the administration building if you feel you have need for this special permit, or speak to a board member.

I apologize for any confusion that may have been created by this discussion thus far... and I thank you all for keeping this discussion civil. This is what this forum is all about, and if we can make it work like this thread has... to point out problems with our decisions, then we can all benefit from this forum. It was the discussion in this thread that brought the problem to the boards attention, and is the reason we discussed it tonight!

Thank you all for understanding!

Back