Steam winch

That is a pretty neat fixture you made and quite the set up on your mill to get the angles all done.
Any idea how these blocks were made back in the day?

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

You should be making a spare set so that you have parts when you burn up the first set.

A nice finishing touch would be to burn the part number into the finished blocks!

John... Need a couple of more benches for the lower lutefisk shower like the ones you built 20 years ago! Do you still have that pattern? Major remodel happening this next season and there will be 3 showers on each side when completed!

It is great that you are showing the set ups for this Clayton. I too wonder how it was originally done at the factory. I imagine they would have had some kind of dedicated fixture. Thanks for taking the time to document the steps like this. Very impressive.

I have made a little bit more progress on the clutch drive assembly.

39.jpg

38.jpg
Starting to tighten and get everything lined up.

31.jpg

Looks like it is time to see if it will fit the coned clutch hosing.

34.jpg
Here I have it cleaned up enough to set it together and see how it goes together:praying:

33.jpg

35.jpg
All fit like I hoped and it should. I did put a dummy shaft in the center to align. I will say it is good to be done with those clutch shoes:rolleyes:

Looks great! Always great when a plan comes together.

You know, it wasn't that long ago Case combines used wooden blocks for "bearings" on the front of the auger bed under the rotor. I'm talking the flagship combines like the 60 and 80 series. They lasted hundreds of hours. Bearings there now, and they don't have any longer lifespan than the wood ones did.

Moving on to the crankshaft and figuring out how I will pour new Babbitt in the journal areas.

41.jpg

I will have to build up the cross head wrist pin also then turn it back to the original size. It is out of round and will not function properly.

42.jpg

Back