Trailer & Jeep repairs

The only thing is Mark you have not seen me for a while. I could have a much more serious wound than hers!!
All is good with Jane and she is mending real fast.:)
Ya know if Josh would come out and help once in a while these things wouldn't happen to Jane.They would happen to him, and then he could brag that he actually does do more than give away out dated snacks.:rof:

Now now no need to go below the belt! Let me ask you how many people do you need to mount some tires? So far I've counted 5? As Ray said "I'm just saying!"

I've done the ether thing many times. Got a good story about it too. Ask me sometime. You still need to get the tire on the rim first. I'm sure Clayton realizes this important first step. If Danger Boy would be there to help I'm sure he would FEEL THE BURN .

Making a little progress on the trailer axles. I have removed all 4 hubs, checked the brakes (they are good to go), now cleaning up all the bearings and hubs. The first picture below will show you how old the grease is in these hubs.

grease.jpg

This looks like this grease was installed in 1944. It is not very pliable, it is pretty old and hard.

hub1.jpg

I had to use gasoline to get my hands clean after cleaning up the hubs and axles.

hub2.jpg

Axle and brakes all cleaned up, ready to reassemble. Take a look at the cool brake drum. It has heat sync grooves for cooling. I have done a few truck and trailer brakes before, but have never seen brake drums like this before.

Those are some pretty neat drums. Have you unhooked the S cams to make sure they move freely? We have a lot of trouble with them on fertilizer trailers. Used for a month or so and then sit for the other 11.

Yes Jon I have. All the S cams are free and the Bushings are nice and tight. I have come to the conclusion that this is a military trailer. when I have looked up parts at two brake shops, nothing even comes close in the books. I would imagine Government issue.:usa:
I do not think there is many miles on it just real hard use from loading and unloading Army tanks from the sides. Oh and did I mention really heavy built!!!

Trying to make more progress on the trailer. (with my job this is a slow process!) You'll see in the following pictures, I've got the hubs cleaned up and painted and have now started working on the gooseneck hitch area.

painted hubs.jpg

IMG_20150710_202234371.jpg
It was really hot on Saturday in the direct sun, so I needed to be creative and make some shade. It really helped!

IMG_20150710_202210702.jpg
Here you will see I have the pin boss area completed and have started to work on the ramp area on each side.

IMG_20150711_174353122.jpg
Started to install the outriggers that I made a couple years ago. With the extra length that I added to the trailer, I had to have more outriggers.

Hmmm might be able to find you more work Clayton. Looks good!!

You don't do anything 1/2 way Clayton! Looking great! Cannot wait to see it all hooked up and going down the road? Will you have it done in time to take the KB11 and the Russell out to Crosby in a couple of weeks?

No Mark, I want it done by next spring. And that means done completely,painted and all.

Have some updated photos below. This first one seems like a long time ago.

100_3595.JPG

Hooking4.jpg
Ready for the test of hooking and unhooking.

Hooking7.jpg
This would be ready to transport whatever you're hauling.

Hooking2.jpg
The 5th wheel pin has been released and pulling away so the trailer will sit on the ground.

Hooking1.jpg
The trailer is on the ground, links are loose and will remove the links now. I am not finished with this part yet, because normally you would not have to remove them completely. There would be a bracket to hold them out of the way.

Hooking10.jpg
Here I have backed under and latched the 5th wheel and will place a 4x4 under the gooseneck and on top of the jeep.

Hooking9.jpg
Here I am driving away so that a person could load the trailer, if the trailer was finished.

Looking great Clayton!

I am curious what holds the hitch to the trailer (pulling load, not vertical).

Next time I am driving by and have time I am going to call and see if I can get a personal demonstration!

I will try and get some pictures of that and post. There is a center pin and also two pins that fit into both sides close to where the links are.

Here is a reason that I need to get this trailer done. This is how I got the tractors over for Steam Down this fall, It was a little more than I like to haul on this trailer. So I put the big truck on the front for better towing and control with good brakes.IMG_20151002_165023696.jpg

Following pictures are some more of the progress on the lowboy. trailer2.jpg

Had to lower all the original cross members and then add more between those. They are at a height so the planks will be above the I-Beams by about a 1/4 inch. Weather has been on my side lately! Have to get as much done as possible because when it gets cold out I will be done working on it till spring.

trailer3.jpg

This past weekend I was able to get Michael, Craig, and Ryan to come help me with these very heavy 12 inch wide 2 1/4 inch thick by 17 feet long planks. This is white Oak that will be the wood planks for the Low Boy.Plaining1.jpg

Plaining2.jpg
Had to help them through the planer, they were so hard the auto feed on the planer could not advance them through. Took us about two and a half hours but all went well. Special thanks to Mike and Ryan for the strong help to lighten the load for Craig and myself. Even though we were out side it was very noisy.

Brooklyn.jpg
Our supervisor and safety director was making sure we all had ear protection as she said "It is very noisy".

Back