Vintage Rollag

Brian,

Thanks for finding and posting this history. The article is dated 2 Sept and it says the threshing will take place next month. When was the show date changed to Labor Day Weekend?

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

This is as per Elaine - 1967 was the first year it changed to Labor Day. Victor Osten made the motion and they thought they would try it for a year and see how it would work out. It was golden.... Really was a game changer. I remember some of those cold days...

Yes, the show used to be held in early October. (around my mom's birthday which was October 2nd) For some reason I don't remember being at Rollag before 1967 so to me the show always seems to have been on Labor Day weekend. However, dad used to tell me we use to drain our engines at night so they wouldn't freeze. Another relative told me we had been going to Rollag since 1964 so that would make sense. And I believe dad and Swed met at a gun show at the Wahpeton Armory in 1964.

dad used to tell me we use to drain our engines at night so they wouldn't freeze.

Never had to do this at the WMSTR show, but there have been a couple of years in New Rockford (3rd weekend in September) where we have drained the water glasses on the engines when shutting down for the night... or someone would run back out there and do that.

It can get cold that time of year.

Back