14 Thresher Event Photos 2007

GKarels

Intermediate Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
The following pictures are from the 2007 show where the goal was to have 14 threshers running at one time. I believe we had 15 running on Saturday. Dr Gerry Parker was the organizer for the event. It was a success and a lot of fun. Great job Gerry!

01Rollag0714Threshers3P9010007.jpg

2007, Saturday
The threshers are all set, wagons in place, everyone is getting belted up and testing for the big 14 thresher demonstration.

02Rollag0714Threshers4P9010009.jpg

2007, Saturday
A view down the belts as everyone is awaiting the green flag to start the mass threshing demonstration.

03Rollag0714Threshers5P9010010.jpg

2007, Saturday
Go! A view down the belts as all of the machines were started.

04Rollag0714Threshers6P9010011.jpg

2007, Saturday
Another view that shows how many fork operators that were needed to make history.

05Rollag0714Threshers7P9010012.jpg

2007, Saturday
A view from the downwind side. I believe the count on Saturday was 13 full size machines and 2 miniature machines running simultaneously.

06Rollag0714Threshers8P9010015.jpg

2007, Saturday
Another view from the straw pile side. That’s Mark K giving rides in the boom truck. I think he had the only carnival ride that was allowed out of the carnival fence? I am sure Tim Dachtera and Chris Moen got some great pictures and video over the weekend from the bucket. I think the 2007 show DVD will be worth waiting for.

07Rollag0714ThreshersRogerEngstromP.jpg

2007, Saturday
Here is Roger Engstrom, dissecting the action with his play by play commentary. The bleachers have a PA system with speakers attached that Roger uses to get his message across. He broadcasts from the seat of his Massy Harris.

08Rollag0714ThreshersRogerEngstromP.jpg

2007, Saturday
Another view of Roger Engstrom. Roger adds so much by explaining what is going on during the threshing demonstrations. Our urban raised guests are enlightened by Rogers commentary. Even if you grew up on a farm you will learn something by listening to Roger. It is great how volunteers find a way to contribute and add so much to the show. Thanks Roger!

09Rollag0714ThreshersJoshNelsonPaul.jpg

2007, Saturday
Josh N. is ready to throw on another bundle with Paul N. and Colin M. on the machine.

10Rollag0714Threshers9P9020040.jpg

2007, Sunday
Sunday the wind had switched so all of the machines had to be turned the other way. Lucky for us, as it gives us an excuse to play with the tractors and equipment. At least that is my son Blaine’s opinion.

11Rollag0714ThreshersGerryParkeronc.jpg

2007, Sunday
Here is the organizer of the 14 thresher event, Dr. G Parker, on the right, enjoying a peaceful conversation on his cell phone while the smooth running Minneapolis puts the wheat in the wagon below his feet. Great Job Gerry! It was an awesome spectacle. Was it a world record? It will be great to see the show video for 2007 that will have aerial video footage and photos. When the people of WMSTR decide to have fun, they like to do it in a big way.

12Rollag07ThreshingMachineNewTracto.jpg

2007, Monday
A bit of a clash or eras as Chris B’s 7510 is used to bring threshers around to be put away. Later Steve R showed up with his New Holland bi-directional tractor and loader. The hitches are hooked to the loader bucket which makes for quick work of backing the threshers in the shed. I prefer backing with a tractor that has no powersteering, no brakes and a hand clutch. But along as Steve has his bi-directional tractor around, I guess we will let him do it. He does a great job.

13Rollag06ThreshingGaryKarelsP90401.jpg

I gave my camera to Blaine and he was able to catch my good side while I was pitching bundles at the 2006 show.

14Rollag04ThreshingMachineP9060089.jpg

The “really” wet year. Looks like dust was not a big problem.

That’s it for my threshing pictures, thanks for viewing! See you at the 2008 show!

Wow, thanks Gary for posting those. I especially like the one you took on the downwind side. Since I was helping run one of the engines both days, I did not get to see a view like that. I too am anxious to see what the video looks like. I got some that my wife, mother and uncle took, but I am sure that it is going to be great having some professional video of the event.

Darren

Thanks Gary for starting this posting... sure is nice to sit on these cold winter days and think back of those 2 memorable days of threshing.
You've got a couple of good pictures of Roger Engstrom.. he is very dedicated to the threshing area. Prior to the threshing on Saturday, Roger had typed out descriptions of each of the 14 machines, my copy is a little inaccesible at the moment (it is in the camper at Rollag). A copy of his descriptions should be posted here..
I'm going try to add a few pictures also if I remember how to use photobucket..
Here it goes...
This is the view that I had on Saturday as we were on the #12 machine (or the number #3 machine) - we were the 3rd machine from the west.
IMG_0388.jpg

I'll add some pictures and commentary from our 4 year old son Connor.

"sure is taking Dad along time to line up that belt"
IMG_0378.jpg

"can't do any threshing with the blower like this.."

IMG_0362.jpg

"now all the belts are one, everything greased and oiled.. quit talking Dad and lets get threshing"
IMG_0377.jpg

Great thread Gary, and outstanding pictures from all of you!

This is where this forum can really shine... Everyone can share their photos!

Tim and Chris did a great job on the threshing part of the video. You are all in for a real treat!

Thank you all for the great pictures!

In the picture with Doc Parker on the phone, Dale Halonie (owner of the 25 Minneapolis that powered my family's 22" x 38" Allis Chalmers separator that day) is at the far left and I (in the bibs) am between Dale and Gerry. The machine that we are standing on is my 36" x 62" wooden Minneapolis separator #18031, circa 1922, that was originally shipped new to Warren, MN. This was the machine that took a huge part of the shock of the threshing machine shed when it collapsed and is also shown in the picture with the big new John Deere tractor.

I was perched atop #18031 those two days, working as separator man on the machine in the center of the line. I will never, ever forget the hum of all of those machines, nor will I ever forget the sight of all of those belts running amid the smoke and chaff!

Thanks again for the pictures and have a good one,

Colt

Here is a picture of Roger Haugen of Hawley talking to members of the Langemo family along side Roger's nicely restored Wagner-Langemo wood threshing machine. These people's great uncle was the founder of the Wagner-Langemo Threshing machine company in Minneapolis Minnesota. There were 2 Wagner-Langemo machines running on Saturday and Sunday. A wooden one and a later galvanized one. John Deere had bought out the company and this got them started in the Threshing Machine business. There were 2 John Deere machines running both days also.

IMG_0431.jpg

Here is another picture of some more Langemo's, the 2 fellows on the left are from Valley City area and the fellow on the right is from Detroit Lakes. It was great to visit with members of the Langemo family. The fellow on the left first came on Saturday and then he had to come back on Sunday with his kids!

IMG_0387.jpg

And then there were some more Langemo's that came from Valley City.. I've invited them to have a "reunion" at the John Deere Expo in 2008!

IMG_0430.jpg

Brian
Your picture from the top of the machines is great. You should make sure JSiirila has that one for the show book. I wonder if the Tim and Chris were up there getting some shots? What a vantage point. It is also good to see your son, the next generation of WMSTR addicts, in action. Also thanks for the pictures and history of the Wagner-Langemo Threshing machine company. It must be a thrill for the family to come and see the machines of their family history in action. Keep the photos coming!

Dawn
Great pictures as well. I like the one with the threshers obscured by the straw. I seen the pictures you posted from the Ortner area. The one with the sun busting through the trees with the smoke in the air is great. You are good. That means you have more great pictures in your collection, so when you have time, keep them coming!

Colt
Thanks for identifying yourself and Dale in the photo. The Minneapolis #18031 is a fine looking machine and it must have been fun to have it be a part of this event.

All
I know there were allot of people with cameras running around that day. If you have never posted a picture using photo bucket, Mark has some great instructions under the "Site Questions" forum. So, give it a try and keep the photos coming!

Threshing

This is my favorite picture from the 14 thresher event in 2007.

Tom

Picture211.jpg

Great pictures keep coming everyone! I really like yours Tom... you have a unique eye for a shot! Now that you have the photo posting thing down, I know you have a TON more to share! How about some of that boiler project you are working on?
:picture:

Here is our 1936 "A" John Deere and Wagner-Langemo Threshing machine .. just before the whistle blew to start all the machines.

IMG_0380.jpg

This is what I would call an "action shot".. I'll let you count the people. Remember there are 2 threshing machines behind me also.. This picture was taken on Saturday.

IMG_0395.jpg

Back