2019 "Mystery" Memorial Ride

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by jojo, Jun 6, 2019.

1. jojo

jojo Junior Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Due to time constraints, feel free to share with anyone you would like. This ride is for everyone, including non-members. You can ride on a motorcycle or any form of transportation you would like (as long as it is road safe and worthy).

We will meet at the Case Memorial Wall on the showgrounds for fellowship around 8:30ish am on Sunday, June 23rd with a quick prayer at 9:00 am and departure thereafter. We do NOT have a specific route planned but will decide one based on who attends and weather conditions day of.

There is no cost to ride... but it is free will donation that is given to the memorial wall upkeep to offset costs.

If you have any questions- feel free to contact me or Allen Stulz.

Thanks and hope to see you all on Sunday-June 23rd, 2019!

THERE WILL BE NO MAKE UP DATE IF RAINED OUT!

Please follow on Facebook or here - for any changes or updates up until departure.

Jerry Christiansen likes this.
  2. Jerry Christiansen

Jerry Christiansen Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Hi Jo,

Thanks for the update on the ride!

Later,
    Jerry Christiansen

3. Jerry Christiansen

Hi again everyone,

Jane and I are planning to do the ride. Hopefully the weather will be in our favor.
    Who else is planning to ride?

Later,
    Jerry Christiansen

4. jojo

Ride is ON! See you all in a bit!

craig mattson likes this.
  5. Jerry Christiansen

Hi all,

We had a good ride. Jane and I left Squirrelville about 7:30 Sunday morning and headed for the Show Grounds. It was pretty foggy for most of the ride. As we started up Swedberg hill, the clouds started to break. While we were standing by the Case Eagle, the sun started to shine. We rode in sun for most of the day.

I have an app on my phone that will track trips, so you can see the route we took. We left the Hill and headed to Vergas.
    upload_2019-6-27_19-45-53.png

Yes, we could have taken a shorter route. That wasn't the point of this trip. We didn't see Darryl D standing outside his house as we rode by, but we waved anyway.

We stopped, got some fuel and talked a bit.

P_20190623_095836.jpg
    From the left: Jane C, Al S, Julie T, Harris B and John L. Some might not recognize the last two names, how about Klinger and Louie.

When I asked everyone for their good side, I got this picture.
    P_20190623_095838.jpg
    I have no idea why Al turned to hide Julie.

upload_2019-6-27_19-54-43.png
    The next leg was to the North Forty for din-din. I didn't take any pictures of the meal. Some time you should ask Jane how her chicken tasted that day and as Harris how is steak was. The food was good, so is the story.

We left Park Rapids and headed to Akeley.

upload_2019-6-27_19-57-3.png

A picture of the crew dismounting.

P_20190623_125542.jpg

We saw Paul and took some pictures.
    P_20190623_125653.jpg

About where I was standing to take this picture, someone had put up a device so you could set phone in the holder, set the timer on a 'selfie' and then get in place for a picture. It is a neat idea, we need to improve the design if we are going to put some of these at Rollag. Jo asked a person to take a group picture. Jo sent me a text with the picture, but I don't know how to get it from my phone to here. I will work on it. Better yet, maybe she will post the picture.

We toured the museum. They have a lot of neat stuff. One of the group saw the picture below and asked what type of steam engine it is.
    P_20190623_132040.jpg

I have no idea. We could see it is a return flue. Huber and Minneapolis made return flues, I am sure other companies made return flues, too.

More pictures in the next post.

Jerry Christiansen

M Kerkvliet likes this.
  6. Jerry Christiansen

More pictures and maps,
    upload_2019-6-27_20-12-5.png
    As the map tells you, we headed to Lake George next. We were concerned because we knew there was construction somewhere on Highway 71. The little bump on the horizontal line is the only place we were on 71 and we missed the construction.

The group at Lake George
    P_20190623_153054.jpg
    Notice the blue sky.

From Lake George we started heading toward Steamer Hill.

upload_2019-6-27_20-16-27.png

We stopped at Waubun for a bit. I didn't take any pictures.

Next stop: Jane and Clayton Larson's house in rural Hawley.

upload_2019-6-27_20-18-56.png

P_20190623_163631.jpg
    We got to see what has been keeping Clayton and Jane busy. They moved a building and are constructing a garage that will allow Clayton to walk from the house to his shop without going outside. Above the 'think tank' solved all the problems Clayton was having completing the project.

P_20190623_163639.jpg
    Meanwhile the ladies were solving other problems.

From the Larson house, the group split up. Harris, Al and Jo headed back to Steamer Hill. Louie, Jane and I headed west on Highway 10. Louie turned off in West Fargo, Jane and I headed for Squirrelville.

Those of you that missed this year's trip, need to plan to make next year's trip. You don't have to ride a bike, you may come along in any highway approved vehicle.

Later,
    Jerry Christiansen

M Kerkvliet likes this.
  7. jojo

Look at Mr.Flip Phone getting all techy with apps and smart phone pics! We knew you would come around Jerry!

Thanks for mapping our day... and taking pics! As I said Sunday, this is year #9 for this ride... I have attended every one since the first idea Josh D (Dangerboy) had, and its been a great “ride”! Next year will be my last year heading it up (time for new blood to bring new ideas, right?)... so anyone and everyone is welcome to join in! It’s one of those WMSTR things that may not make a ton of money for the show, but if my records are correct we have raised over $2,000 since year 1! It helps offset some costs of memorial wall upkeep!

What you do get from this ride is memories... which are priceless!

Here is the picture Jerry referred to that his techy skills havent quite mastered yet...Paul was happy to have our group in “the palm of his hand”.

Thanks for a great day everyone! See ya at the next one!

A1013B6C-FD53-47C3-AADD-8C3B619215B4.jpeg

M Kerkvliet and craig mattson like this.
  8. Ned

Ned Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Not to derail the thread but the mystery engine in the photo is a Buffalo Pitts

craig mattson likes this.
  9. Jerry Christiansen

Hi Ned,

No need to apologize, I was hoping someone would identify the engine.
    What features allowed you to figure out it is a Buffalo Pitts?

Later,
    Jerry Christiansen

10. Ned

Ned Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

The biggest tell is the water tank. Buffalo Pitts used a sqareish water tank on top of the boiler on their return flue engines. Minneapolis Huber and Avery all used square tanks but they were mounted in front of the boiler. Gaar Scott used a top mounted water tank but theirs were round.
    If you look at the thread titled original steam engine photos in the steam traction section on the form at the bottom of page 2 shows a Buffalo Pitts return flue. You'll notice same tank location. The do have a different smoke stacks but That's mainly due to different spark arresters