2021 work weekends

louie

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Well it's that time of year moving working outside to inside What a great feeling to have a show this year with that said although it was a hot dry summer the donut crop did reasonably good we won't run out of those tasty little buggers We have a few things that could use our attention the green water truck clutch work the small leaf sucker engine work weld together 6 more money boxes repair governor for 36 Rumly 50 case water heater new shaft for edger BR sawmil braze up saw guide BR sawmil little train water truck repair water pump for Marion steam shovel so if you are free this comming Saturday come and join us at Larson welding useless information will traded profusely all day long hope to see you there

Jerry Christiansen

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Hi Louie,

Thanks for letting us know about the work weekend! That is quite a list of projects.

Do you realize this is the second weekend of a National Holiday? Well, maybe it is only a local holiday. This weekend is the second weekend of deer hunting,. It isn't fair that a person has to choose between two important and fun events.

At this instant deer hunting is on my list for Saturday. Maybe the weather will be so lousy that working inside will look like a better deal. I hope someone takes some pictures and lets us know what happens.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

Ray Wangler

Intermediate Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Louie thanks for letting us know. I plan to be there to help, looking forward to it. The deer are safe with Christianson out hunting, so we don't have them to worry about. I'm sure a shop day will be fun.

craig mattson

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Sounds like a good line up of projects to kick off winter work season. I won't be able to attend this one as i need to finish up some ductwork to get the whole house heated as it appears the cold season has arrived. Hoping to make it to the next one! Hopefully the donut crop proves to be a successful one!

Ned

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Jerry why didn't you finish chasing Bambi last weekend like I did. It was much more pleasant to be out in the vast forests of south eastern North Dakota then rather than now. I guess to each their own...

Jerry Christiansen

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Ned,
I agree with you that last weekend was a GREAT time to be outside. There were two deer that I had a chance at. Unfortunately, my shooting ability at 200+ yards at running objects wasn't good enough.
The members of our hunting party that live in Bismarck decided they aren't going to drive to this part of the world this weekend to hunt. Looks like I will be at Larson Welding tomorrow.

Later,
Jerry C

s.d. jon

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Jerry why didn't you finish chasing Bambi last weekend like I did. It was much more pleasant to be out in the vast forests of south eastern North Dakota then rather than now. I guess to each their own...
Thanks for chasing them across the boarder!

Jerry Christiansen

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Hi everyone,

The first Work Weekend was a good time. We even got a few things worked on.

This feed water preheater was Ned's project for the day.
1637115610038.jpeg

From this angle the word 'Bottom' is upside down on the right side of the picture. Notice the white object just to the right of the letter B. That is a steel siding screw complete with the washer and rubber gasket. The outer tube rusted through and needs to be replaced.

Ned got a little help inspecting from Tom H and Kerry B.
1637115595220.jpeg

Ned brought out the full arsenal of weapons.
1637115705258.jpeg
I didn't get a picture of him using the air hammer. He had the noisy corner of the day.

Look close, you can see several rivets are missing on the end.

1637115783142.jpeg

I don't know why Ned didn't go to the other side of the shop and exchange the one he had for one of these two that Gary M was inspecting.
1637115832253.jpeg
Gary is a bit blurry because he was trying back out of the picture.

Later on the inspector showed up to check on Ned.
1637115897359.jpeg

Louie brought the wood chipper in for a little attention.
1637115965930.jpeg
Louie and Bob C are planning.

Louie working in the red light district.
1637116019601.jpeg
His big goal for the day was to get taillights working.

Ortner Railroad parts showed up.

1637116091287.jpeg

Kerry B and Dan took things far enough apart to find pieces that need to be built up with weld and then machined back smooth. They did some clean up and got the parts ready for another weekend.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

Ned

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Not a single picture of a doughnut in anyone's hand!!! Just goes to show how serious we are...

Jerry Christiansen

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Hi again everyone,

Ned, doughnuts were present. I didn't take any pictures of people with doughnuts in hand. We need to protect the guilty.

In my previous post I forgot to show this picture.
1637289969838.jpeg
Jim worked in the press to form this piece of steel. He didn't say, but I think it is for Ned's preheater project.

Ray W was busy working on the green International water truck.

1637290063889.jpeg
He and Sanders started under the hood on the water pump. This project started last summer on the Hill and gave Ray a few more gray hairs.

1637290123191.jpeg
Sanders worked on making a piece so the water pump could be hydro tested and determine where the leak is.

1637290185519.jpeg
Ray was under the truck for quite a bit. I don't know whose feet are on the left side.

1637290227650.jpeg

The goal was to get the clutch apart. The driveshaft needed to come off first. When I left the transmission was on the floor and Ray was going after the pressure plate and clutch disc. After he got that far into it and the flywheel could be seen, he could decide if the flywheel needed to come out and be trued up.

My project for the day was working on a leaf sucker.
1637290413062.jpeg

1637290429708.jpeg
The engine is a non-runner, it did turn over. The hoses needed to come off first, then the piece on the left side that the suction hose is connected to.

1637290531353.jpeg

The fan didn't slip off (surprise, surprise) so a puller was built to pull it off. A flat bar was cut with a couple holes for the bolts you can see. A spacer was placed between the end of the engine shaft and the flat bar. We tightened up the nuts on the bolts and the fan slipped right off. Notice all the gravel in the bottom of the fan housing. Folks, when you are picking up leaves, you do not need to stick the suction hose on the ground and make pot holes!

Shortly after the fan was removed, the fan housing came off and the engine was removed.

1637290768448.jpeg

Roger M delivered the engine to Dave G. Dave will see if he can get it running. It has spark and some compression, so there is hope.

1637290901438.jpeg

You may have noticed some flyballs in the first picture of the leaf sucker. Above you can see Jim and Bob C working on that project. That is the governor off the show Rumley steam engine. When they got it apart, Jim explained to us what was worn and how it would be repaired.

I had to leave shortly after dinner. I hope someone else will talk about what got done during the rest of the afternoon.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen