398 Caterpillar

M Kerkvliet

WMSTR Past President
Administrator
WMSTR Lifetime Member
I got it to play by right clicking on it and opening it in a new tab (Safari). Problem was it was too big and I could only see one corner of the video. When I went back to the forum tab, a pop up asked me if it was OK for Facebook to set cookies to see the video. I told it for this session only, and now it plays.

Very cool Clayton! How many gallons of fuel does it take to start it? :)...

Can't wait until we get the bugs worked out of this site so all of the little square icons show up and work!
 

cjmlarson

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
A little has got done this winter so far. Also working on Craig's portable and now granddaughter is racing snowmobiles, ufda.
This fall I got the air system put on the engine so I could try that and make sure it would work ok. 37.jpg
Then it was to get the beast into the shop. Put a receiver on the front of service truck so I could see while I was backing it into the shop.
thumbnail (2).jpg
Then it was to get the radiator mounted up in front. When this unit was on the dredge the radiator was about six feet away from the engine so I had to make a mount for it.
thumbnail (1).jpg
This was almost more than my walk behind forklift could lift so I would lift it six inches and add blocks as I would go up so if anything was to fail it wouldn't fall to far ,(that is what I thought anyway).
thumbnail (9).jpg
Once I got this far and the forks were setting on the beam I had a sense of relief.
 

cjmlarson

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Then it was time to square the radiator up to the front pulley both vertically and front to back so the pulleys would line up and run straight. I should mention that I had to make a couple of adaptors for the radiator pulley and for the crank pulley.
thumbnail (10).jpg
thumbnail (3).jpg
Then it was time to make a bracket so I could install the belt tensioner.
thumbnail (5).jpg
Then on to the radiator piping, All I did here was use exhaust pipe. This was a little challenging due to the top into the radiator was four inch, coming out of the top thermostat housing was 4 and a half, then the bottom going to engine was four inch and into bottom of radiator was 3 and a half. I got Muffler Man to expand some of the fittings and then I just bought elbows and straight pipe and welded it together. Nothing fancy on this beast .
thumbnail (7).jpg
thumbnail (6).jpg
By now I am sure there is some people wondering if this will fit through the door when complete. I thought when I measured that if I took the tires and rims off I would roll it out on the hubs and it would be with in a 1/2 inch. I guess I measured with Klingers rubber tape measure, It will be 3/4 of an inch to tall so I will have to pull the radiator off when that time comes. As you can see in the photo there is very little room from top of radiator and the ceiling.
thumbnail (8).jpg
 

Jerry Christiansen

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Hi Clayton,

Thanks for the pictures. I am looking forward to seeing and hearing this unit run.
When the time comes to pull it out of the shop, just drive fast and it will come.
Some day ask me about the fellow in my home town that bought a 54 Ford to replace is 49. . . .

Later,
Jerry Christiansen
 

M Kerkvliet

WMSTR Past President
Administrator
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Just lift the back end up at the right time (tipping the front end down) and the radiator will go right under the door. You could use a combination of your forklift and rolling floor jacks for this purpose.

If you need any more advice, you know where to find me!
 

jswithers

WMSTR Lifetime Members
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Not trying to hijack the thread but it sure is nice to see some action on the forum. Especially stationary gas and diesel engines. Keep up the good work. Looks good.
 

cjmlarson

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
It was time to get the big drive coupling off the back of this unit. So I made a T puller and also had to use a little bit of heat and finally got it to move. When I got it close to the end of the shaft I realized I was not going to be able to set it down by myself, so I called the reinforcement. all went well and no one lost any toes or fingers. Reason for doing it this way is the engine is to tall to get my gantry over the top.
thumbnail (11).jpg
thumbnail (12).jpg
thumbnail (14).jpg
thumbnail (15).jpg
thumbnail (16).jpg
need to give a shout out to Andy, Adam and Nick for taking time out of their busy schedules to help with this. It may not look very big but that hub was to heavy for my little wimpy arms.
thumbnail (13).jpg
 
Top