398 Caterpillar

I got it to play by right clicking on it and opening it in a new tab (Safari). Problem was it was too big and I could only see one corner of the video. When I went back to the forum tab, a pop up asked me if it was OK for Facebook to set cookies to see the video. I told it for this session only, and now it plays.

Very cool Clayton! How many gallons of fuel does it take to start it? :)...

Can't wait until we get the bugs worked out of this site so all of the little square icons show up and work!

A little has got done this winter so far. Also working on Craig's portable and now granddaughter is racing snowmobiles, ufda.
This fall I got the air system put on the engine so I could try that and make sure it would work ok. 37.jpg
Then it was to get the beast into the shop. Put a receiver on the front of service truck so I could see while I was backing it into the shop.
thumbnail (2).jpg
Then it was to get the radiator mounted up in front. When this unit was on the dredge the radiator was about six feet away from the engine so I had to make a mount for it.
thumbnail (1).jpg
This was almost more than my walk behind forklift could lift so I would lift it six inches and add blocks as I would go up so if anything was to fail it wouldn't fall to far ,(that is what I thought anyway).
thumbnail (9).jpg
Once I got this far and the forks were setting on the beam I had a sense of relief.

Then it was time to square the radiator up to the front pulley both vertically and front to back so the pulleys would line up and run straight. I should mention that I had to make a couple of adaptors for the radiator pulley and for the crank pulley.
thumbnail (10).jpg
thumbnail (3).jpg
Then it was time to make a bracket so I could install the belt tensioner.
thumbnail (5).jpg
Then on to the radiator piping, All I did here was use exhaust pipe. This was a little challenging due to the top into the radiator was four inch, coming out of the top thermostat housing was 4 and a half, then the bottom going to engine was four inch and into bottom of radiator was 3 and a half. I got Muffler Man to expand some of the fittings and then I just bought elbows and straight pipe and welded it together. Nothing fancy on this beast .
thumbnail (7).jpg
thumbnail (6).jpg
By now I am sure there is some people wondering if this will fit through the door when complete. I thought when I measured that if I took the tires and rims off I would roll it out on the hubs and it would be with in a 1/2 inch. I guess I measured with Klingers rubber tape measure, It will be 3/4 of an inch to tall so I will have to pull the radiator off when that time comes. As you can see in the photo there is very little room from top of radiator and the ceiling.
thumbnail (8).jpg

Hi Clayton,

Thanks for the pictures. I am looking forward to seeing and hearing this unit run.
When the time comes to pull it out of the shop, just drive fast and it will come.
Some day ask me about the fellow in my home town that bought a 54 Ford to replace is 49. . . .

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

Just lift the back end up at the right time (tipping the front end down) and the radiator will go right under the door. You could use a combination of your forklift and rolling floor jacks for this purpose.

If you need any more advice, you know where to find me!

Not trying to hijack the thread but it sure is nice to see some action on the forum. Especially stationary gas and diesel engines. Keep up the good work. Looks good.

It was time to get the big drive coupling off the back of this unit. So I made a T puller and also had to use a little bit of heat and finally got it to move. When I got it close to the end of the shaft I realized I was not going to be able to set it down by myself, so I called the reinforcement. all went well and no one lost any toes or fingers. Reason for doing it this way is the engine is to tall to get my gantry over the top.
thumbnail (11).jpg
thumbnail (12).jpg
thumbnail (14).jpg
thumbnail (15).jpg
thumbnail (16).jpg
need to give a shout out to Andy, Adam and Nick for taking time out of their busy schedules to help with this. It may not look very big but that hub was to heavy for my little wimpy arms.
thumbnail (13).jpg

After getting it removed it was to get it machined to accept a universal joint but it would not fit in my lathe so I had to remove some material.
1j.jpg
Once it fit in my lathe I found out that it was just to big to get the job done correctly. So I had Roger M machine the face of it to accept a u joint.
1h.jpg
I then machined the edges off so the u joint had room to move a little.

I then heated it up so I could put it back onto the out put shaft of the engine. I was able to do this out side and have it hanging from my service truck.
1i.jpg

1b.jpg
So here is the process of getting it out of the shop
I had to remove the radiator and then get it close to the door way so I could get the service truck hooked to it.
1c.jpg
1d.jpg
It took me an entire day by myself to get this accomplished, but all went well and I did not have any disasters.

Hi everyone,

Clayton and the engine at 1st Ave N and 25th St, Fargo on April 10, 2021

1618190626955.png

1618190666950.png

1618190687520.png

The first start up in the morning was pretty neat. It took a bit to get that cold cast iron running.
I knew what air starters sound like. I was standing real close to it. Yes, Clayton got me to jump.
Thanks for bringing the engine and running it!

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

Yes Jerry, I made a mistake and did not have Craig holding the glow plugs long enough and that is why it was a little bit crabbier than normal, as well as 32 degrees out side.
All in all it turned out to be a very successful day for myself and I think most others as well. Thanks for the photos.

Yes Jerry, I made a mistake and did not have Craig holding the glow plugs long enough and that is why it was a little bit crabbier than normal, as well as 32 degrees out side.
All in all it turned out to be a very successful day for myself and I think most others as well. Thanks for the photos.
Hey, Clayton, a little drama always ads to the event.

I can't imagine the music that three of those beasts made on that shredder!

Thanks for sharing your new toy with us.

Clayton,

Maybe we should have emptied some CO2 fire extinguishers on the engine before some of the starts later in the day. . . . . .

Did you have to take the radiator off when you got home so you could put the engine away?

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

No I don't need it in my shop anymore ,so I put it in the big storage building in the back yard.

I have it about ready for the show. I have to get the spot ready where it will sit while it runs the mill on Monday morning.
I left the house this morning about 7:00 am and got to the show grounds about 8:05. Saw Andy M. as I was driving in and we talked for a short while and we were both off to get stuff done.
thumbnail (20).jpg
It goes good at about 20 -25 miles an hour. I use the service truck to pull it so incase I have to stop quick my chances of staying on the road are a little bit better.:praying:

Back