Baker Depot Roofing Project

dachtera

Videographer/Web
Administrator
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Yes ladies and gentlemen, following on the heels of the Corliss Building (or Villaume depending on how you know it) getting a new roof, we're switching gears from steel to shingles this time.

The Baker Depot is also in need of new roof.

I'm throwing out a 'Save the Date' for the weekend of July 12th (same as board meeting / work weekend) weather pending of course.

Lynette is also going to try and round up some folks. We're looking for some good help (or at least someone to heckle us) :rof: and a few people who are more experienced roofers than I.

More details to come, so please stay tuned. Please met me know if you're able to help.

Thank you in advance!

I might be able to make it to that one!

I wonder if Ned will be making burgers again :Shrugs:

Mark,

Would be great! We had a great time doing the other depot a few years back! I believe Jo may be making some tasty food if she's not in the fields then.. We'll wrangle food closer to the date.. At this rate, we might have snow again by July... :duh::duh::duh:

i am planing on being there to help and jeff also but he might not be able to go on the roof, kids also

Thanks Gary! I'm sure there will be plenty to do, on, or above ground. At the very least, you can point and laugh if gravity has it's way with me on the roof....

Tim I am willing to borrow my 250 feet of air hose, air compressor, air nailer and a helping hand as long as we have a big enough crew to tackle that roof!

Thanks! I've got a compressor and 50' of hose, for however far that gets us. Maybe we can cut your 250' in half! :rof:
Sounds like we're getting a good number of people, some for a day maybe, some for the project..

I'm hoping to get a start on it Friday pending weather cooperating...

Mark has placed the order for shingles, so assuming my numbers were correct, and the input from mentors wasn't a prank, we should have all of our shingling supplies for NEXT WEEKEND (the 12th of July) for the Baker Depot.

I'll post some more complete details etc, but unless Mother Nature rain's on our parade, it should be a great weekend!

I've got two air nailers lined from (Yancy and Josh, THANKS) If anyone else has a coil nailer to loan (or loan and help us) that would be great as well.

Happy 4th all!

OK,

Here are some more details.

I'm planning to start demo work on Friday the 12th, just to get a head start on things and try to at least get one side cleared off, any maybe felt down if time permits. I'll also try and track down tools, dump truck for the old material and something with forks to get supplies to the roof. Any help would be appreciated, but I know most people won't be up until later.

Saturday, I'd like to start by 9, and work until about 5 or 6 depending on weather, progress and help. Jo has offered to serve up lunch, so hopefully that can happened sometime between noon and on her schedule.

I'd like to start on Sunday as well, and hopefully we'll have it wrapped up by early afternoon, as I know people need to head back to the real-world Sunday afternoons (as do we)

I understand we have two nailers, some hammer tackers etc. If you have anything you think beneficial, it would be greatly appreciated. I'll pick up a few cases of water based on how many folks we'll have, so we can at least stay hydrated during the day.

We've got a few helpers with experience in roofing, a few (like me) with a basic clue, and even if you don't have a clue, you're help will be appreciated. Lots to do even if you don't like roofs, ladders or heights. Even if you're only able to help out for a few hours, it will be a great help!

This is of course, pending dry weather. If we look at a total washout, the backup weekend is the 20th of July.

Please let me know if you have any questions. We're planning to arrive Thursday night, about dark:30.

Materials are on the show grounds... Thank you Clayton for hauling them for us!

Byron has a nailer and nails for you guys to use also. He will be at Rollag Friday helping us pour concrete in the Otto Building.

Sounds great! thanks!

I also see the materials have shown up. Thanks Clayton for bringing them in. It's great to have so many help pitch in and it even looks like the weather will cooperate, albeit a bit warm, it should be dry.

Eileen picked up a few cases of water, so we'll stay hydrated!

Shingling Saturday!

Ilene and I have been calling out the recruits for "Shingling Saturday'. Tim is doing an awesome job of organizing and we hope to have many willing hands on board that day. Ilene & I also have the lunch all planned for the hard working crew! Jim has a couple air nailers & compressors that he is bringing along.
Wondering if we need any scaffolding since the Main Street House is busy with their project???
Remember, Not every helper needs to be on the roof (in case you have a fear of heights!) There is plenty of 'ground' work, also; picking up debris, handing up water to the parched workers, etc......
Hope to see a good turn out on Saturday.
Lynette

Sounds Great Lynette!

Looks like we'll have lots of good help, lots of good food, and more important, a GREAT TIME!

I'm oddly excited to spend my weekend on a roof, I may need some form of help in the head.. :rof:

Forgot to note Lynette -

The nailers and air will be appreciated, We have a few already scheduled to be there, but always good to have more, especially air.

As for scaffold, It sounds like Merlyn has some scaffold and few braces in case the pitch is too steep for most to comfortably walk on. I'll track down something with forks to move pallets of supplies (aka coolers of water) up and down might be a great backup plan.

Hello
There is a group of us that feel we should get a early start on this project. So we are going to start at 5:00am Saturday morning (instead of 9:00 am) we need to try and beat the heat or possible weather. As stated above we need help this is not a easy roof may need to be roof jacked and at least 10 people committed to the end. Hope to see everyone early Saturday morning.

Baker Depot Roofing Project

Tim D, along with Lynette and Ilene, lined up people to help with the shingling project. Tim and a small crew started removing the old shingles on Friday. On Saturday morning at 5 am, a crew begin to finish removing the shingles on the west side. By 11:45 am, this side of the roof had been completed and it was time to go eat a great lunch headed up by Lynette, Ilene and crew.

This is part of the early morning crew, Yancy, CJ (Craig Larson) and Andy M, removing the old shingles.

When it was time to start roofing, Andy said he was going to be the one to put the first shingle on.

I'm sure there will be alot more photos coming, this is all I have.

The crew that shingled the Baker Depot needs a big THANK YOU from all of us.

By the time they quit on Saturday night the east side was covered with tar paper and a row or two of shingles were in place. By 8:00am Sunday the roof was covered. By about 10:00 the ridge cap was finished.

Job welll done!

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

Thank You from Boyd & Shirley Ferrell

Greetings all,

I was given a note to post here from Boyd and Shirley on Sunday afternoon thanking everyone who participated in the roofing project.

--
"Baker Depot has new roof shingles. THANK YOU to the many volunteers who worked dawn to dusk under hot sun and muggy conditions. Also to the ladies who prepared meals for the workers.

Volunteers are the heart of WMSTR, preserving history for generations to come.

Boyd & Shirley Ferrell"
--

More to come from me with photos as well, but I wanted to get this out first thing. They were both very appreciative and very thankful we could put together a crew to get this done in a weekend!

Yes I agree, that was a big project that really needed to be done to keep the building in good shape. I too want to offer my thanks to everyone who took this on. Well Done!

Darren

Back