Changed Layout

m kerkvliet

WMSTR Past President
Administrator
WMSTR Lifetime Member
As you can all see, things are a bit different around here. Icons are messed up, logo is missing, etc.

Nothing ever goes right with upgrades! I was trying to do it all without "bugging" Tim Dachtera as I know he has got a big project under way, but I finally had to reach out to him today as I am in way over my head on this one and I don't speak the language of the techs at XenForo!

Tim is working on the issues with the XenForo people and I am sure things will look a little more normal here soon!

Sorry for the inconvenience, and thank you Tim!

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the update and the update on the update. Read that a few times and see if it makes sense.

Keeping this technology updated and working smooth has got to be a big pain. Thank you for your work, Thank you to Tim for his work and thanks to anyone else involved in keeping this platform up and running.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

We are aware there are some bugs here yet. Tim and xenForo are working them out. Hope to see some progress this week.

It is all way over my head!

As you can all see, things are a bit different around here. Icons are messed up, logo is missing, etc.

Nothing ever goes right with upgrades! I was trying to do it all without "bugging" Tim Dachtera as I know he has got a big project under way, but I finally had to reach out to him today as I am in way over my head on this one and I don't speak the language of the techs at XenForo!

Tim is working on the issues with the XenForo people and I am sure things will look a little more normal here soon!

Sorry for the inconvenience, and thank you Tim!

In response to questions and concerns regarding the upgrades here,

Those of us involved in running this site are well aware of the growing pains.

The fact is, we cannot continue to run old versions forever because things are no longer supported by the software companies. We were once again way behind in our updates and were notified by xenForo (the platform we run on) that they were no longer going to support the old version. Think of it as your phone software constantly being updated and some of your apps quit working unless the app authors keep up with the changes. Other social media platforms constantly change. I am sure if I were ever to go back to facebook, it would be unrecognizable compared to what I left 8 years ago.

Another awesome site we all know... Smokstak recently changed from vBulletin to xenForo. Many there complained about the changes there too (I visit with Harry on the phone from time to time) but they all adjusted.

The difference between a site like Harry's compared to ours is that Harry has really learned this stuff well. I have not! I hired xenForo to do the upgrade for me, but they ran into issues with our hosting company and could not get them resolved. Not their fault. When the hosting company started asking me and my brother questions as to what was wrong, and xenForo trying to relate to us what was wrong, they may as well have been speaking Norwegian to me as I (nor Stephen) had not a clue what they were talking about.

It was then I had to bring Tim Dachtera into the game. He is better equipped to handle the issues we were having. I hated to bother Tim as I know he has his hands more than full with other projects (many WMSTR related) and he didn't need any more work. None the less, he graciously agreed to help.

Tim knows what is wrong, but he is trying to work with our hosting company to explain what is needed to fix it but they are not grasping why this is an issue so examples are now being sent to them, We will get this sorted out, and then the site will look and act familiar enough that those who use it regularly will have no problem sorting it out.

As far as the Facebook competition some are concerned about... We are not Facebook. In my mind that is a good thing, but with todays demographics people are addicted to Facebook and that is never going to change, at least not any time soon. I look at this forum as the place to share with other like minded people without all of the flipping drama that comes with Facebook. I was made aware this morning of a lot more WMSTR related drama happening over there this morning that I could care less about! Should anything like that ever show up on these pages, to would disappear as soon as one of the mods were made aware of it.

In the mean time, this site will stay here until the WMSTR board decides to stop supporting it. That may indeed happen sometime, but I sure hope not. We have a lot of control over what happens here and can keep things on topic and civil.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and ask for your patience as we get the last few bugs worked out.

Hi Mark and the rest of the folks working on the new layout,

Yes, I see a few things that aren't working quite right. Without understanding all the technical stuff, I can only try to imagine the headaches. Thank you for carrying on and working on change over.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

We are back in business! All of the icons are showing up again, and you should all be seeing the familiar layout you are used to.

Some things work a little differently, but I think better. New content on the forum is easier to spot on the right side of the home screen. You can also see "What's New" on the top menu bar. It is a lot easier to navigate.

Posting seems much the same as it has been... if you were familiar with the old versions you are not going to have any trouble with this one.

Photo hosting is done right on site, just as it has been for some time. Upload all of the pics you want! We all want to see them!

Thank you to Stephen @ KVC for all of his work with our hosting company. I owe you one bro... and especially to Tim Dachtera for making the time in his schedule to work out the bugs! It is very much appreciated!

The icon isn't there. Click just to the right of your name. If you click closer to the word 'search' you will see your alerts.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

Clayton, It is actually a little envelope to the right of your signed in name at the top bar. If you click on that it will have start a new conversation, which is basically the same as the private message. I will send you one and it should show up there that you have a new conversation.

Tim is going to be working on making that text brighter up in the navbar so that it's easier to see.

One thing I really like... In addition to being able to see new posts in the sidebar on the right, you can click on "What's New" in the navbar and see all kinds of new stuff filtered to your liking.

ssforum.jpg

Back