Esbit Fuel

CaseyD

B & R Sawmill Crew
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Is there anyone else that needs to buy some Esbit fuel tablets for their models steamers? If I was to buy a whole case of 36, it would be $3.75/box of 20 4 gram tabs. The price of them when buying one is $6.95/box. I would like to buy a case, and have someone else help join up to
help circumvent the $140 it would cost. Not to mention I dont think I need 720 tabs, anyway. Anyone who is interested in them, let me know.

The site I'm referring to is http://ministeam.com/acatalog/Esbit.html

Hope you can get hooked up with someone Casey. $140 is a lot of $$$!

I line the tray with foil--pack tight with cotton balls--soak with rubbing alcohol-- fire it up just burns the alcohol burns hot sometimes has discolored the boiler a little rubs off with motorcycle exhaust pipe creme

I'll have to try that. I have been thinking of different ways to use cheaper fuels...and found out through trial and error that charcoal did not burn fast enough :Dhaha I hadn't thought about the alcohol... Hopefully one of these days I will run across a model steam engine that has an actual firebox that would be large enough to burn wood in. That is my long-term goal in steamn'. And as for those esbit tabs, they smell so bad if you are to try and burn them indoors, not to mention the different chemical hazards they bring with them. Thanks!

use an eyedropper to soak the cotton. when the alcohol burns off pull the tray resoak and light- you hardly miss a beat. all the cottonballs do is act like a wick. I suppose you could make a tray with a small perforated tube under the cotton and inject the alcohol from underneath. I don't know if lamp oil would work, probably stink-get sooty-and be low on heat value.

Please just remember that alcohol burns so clean it is hard to see sometimes. Make sure all fire is gone before you add more alcohol to the tray lest you have a flare up and fire where you do not want.

I just got done firing my Wilesco D-21 with alcohol, and I was suprised by how long and hot the 91% rubbung alcohol burned. The scariest part of the entire ordeal is that there is no way to control the airflow in attempt to regulate the heat output--so, to say the least, I put my safety valve to good use. The rubbing alcohol left alot of soot on the brass boiler, but most was particulate matter that rubbed right off with a damp cloth. Does that "motor cycle exhaust pipe creme" remedy the discoloration of the metal also, or just help with the removal of soot? I'll be experimenting with ways I'll be able to control the fire in the future; I hate the feeling of using an uncontrollable fire.

This is the stock photo used by basically all online suppliers of this engine-I'll post pictures of mine with the modification later.
wid21.jpg

it's used for removal of the blueing on the chrome pipes. It;s a little pricey but works well and a small bottle will last a very long time. I suppose a guy could experiment some,maybe jigger up a partial lid or cover with holes to cut down the heat a little. Maybe make it adjustable

With the alchohol try a teaspoon of baking soda to a pint and it should burl with a blueis color

Casey,
In case you were wondering, one of the trade names of the 'cycle polish is Simichrome. I've used it both on my motorcycles & my Wilesco roller to clean the crud left by the Esbit tabs.
The soot you found from the alcohol was the 9% cr&* that's not alcohol. I have been able to get 99% from a local drug store. The little extras can include water, aspirin, witch hazel, baby oil. These are some of the things added to make "rubbing alcohol".

Any luck in splitting a case of tabs? I'd be interested in a couple of boxes, but like you, don't think I'd ever be able to use $70 worth. by the way, I still have one box of tabs from when I got the roller for Christmas way back in the dark ages. The price on it is all of 50cents!.....PD

For a lot of information on this sort of thing and other model steam related subjects go to mamoforums.co.uk we are a growing family.

Denatured alcohol is a cheap fuel,get it at hardware stores.

Back