KB11 Heavy Haul

cjmlarson

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
conv_605.jpg conv_605.jpg conv_606.JPG conv_606.JPG conv_607.JPG conv_607.JPG I decided I need to complete some of my unfinished projects, so recently Craig (CJ), Wimpy and myself went and picked up a truck jeep so I will have another axle under the trailer up front. It needs some repairs (but everything I purchase does!), so this will be one of the winter projects.

Also this winter, I will be working on adding onto the lowboy I have. This is a 1944 Fruehauf lowboy. With the research I've done, it looks to be a military tank hauler, which they loaded from the sides. I have removed the metal off of the deck of the trailer and cut the gooseneck off, as I have to add 7' to the well of the trailer. Here's a couple of pictures with the gooseneck removed and this past weekend I added the 4 I-beams to lengthen the trailer. I am making this into a RGN (removable gooseneck). This way I do not need a loading dock or ramps. Lots of big heavy work, but I am hoping the outcome will be very usable and easy to load.

This is going to be a cool exhibit when you get it all put together and latched up!

I bet you're not going to have any too much power (by todays standards) and I am betting on about 4 MPG. I think a road trip with the Russell on board to.... say... Andover would be a good test run Clayton! It would be even better if the Sisseton Scale was open just to see their reaction! I am sure you would have no problem as it will all be up to DOT standards knowing your work!

Go for it!!!

conv_625.JPG conv_625.JPGconv_626.JPG conv_626.JPG conv_626.JPG conv_626.JPG Just a couple of pictures on the progress of the trailer. The first picture shows being backed up to the trailer, so that I can get my measurement for the gooseneck height, due to the fact that I have to fabricate everything for the RGN portion of the gooseneck. The second picture shows where I removed the center I-beam. I do not need all that strength and I can use that I-beam for construction of the gooseneck process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you going to use the jeep as it is, or use it for parts for your RGN?

Mark, making some small changes to the jeep,( no time to elaborate on that right now). But to answer your question, yes I will be using it for this trailer.
Got to be able to haul the 150 HP Russell when it shows up:hide: Later.

conv_646.JPG conv_646.JPG conv_646.JPG conv_647.JPG conv_647.JPG conv_647.JPG conv_646.JPG conv_646.JPG conv_646.JPG conv_647.JPG conv_647.JPG conv_647.JPG It's been a real slow process this winter, due to my day job being so busy. We'll share a few progress pictures below. Mainly have been working on the single-axle jeep.

Installing new brakes on the jeep. Interesting though, I can put brakes on this axle cheaper than most automobiles. Had to get the update kits for this. The old brakes were broken and rusted solid at all the moving joints. Just need to clean up the hubs and start reassembling. All the bearings were in good shape.

It was warm enough this morning, so I got up and got busy and sandblasted the hubs, brought them back inside and got them primed and painted.

Last edited by a moderator:

You'll see this new, rusty looking piece of metal between the frame rails. I had to take a piece of 8" pipe and cut this out for it to be positioned in place. The old one had been hit and bent way in and I was unable to straighten it.

Here I welded on a roller which is on the gooseneck for the trailer. This is used in the process of hooking up and unhooking the jeep from the trailer. There is one of these on the right and left sides of the gooseneck.

cjmlarson;n23696 said:
It's been a real slow process this winter, due to my day job being so busy. We'll share a few progress pictures below. Mainly have been working on the single-axle jeep.

Hi Clayton,

Thanks for posting the pictures and the update. I agree with the "slow process", I haven't gotten anything done this winter. Maybe next Sunday afternoon I will get to a project or two. Saturday is already full with the Work Weekend at Larson Welding.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

Back