Larson Sawmill

Discussion in 'Larson Sawmill' started by cjmlarson, Jan 13, 2009.

1. 40avery

40avery Mega Poster Super Moderator WMSTR Lifetime Member

Last I saw it was pointing to Clayton's mill!:rof:

You should see the different wooden welding rods Wimpy has available.:rolleyes:

2. M Kerkvliet

M Kerkvliet WMSTR Past President Administrator WMSTR Lifetime Member

Another outstanding thread Jane and Clayton!

Congratulations all the way around to all who were involved in this sawmill display. I stood back and watched you guys operate a couple of times during the show, and folks were always 3 or 4 deep all the way around watching you operate. I would say that means success!

:congrats::congrats::congrats:

3. ICLIDA

ICLIDA Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Be carefull what you ask for!!!!!!!

4. cjmlarson

cjmlarson Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Oh boy.......Well I guess they could read the Real Sawmill Crew.:biglaugh:I better stop with that, I have had two 18 hour days and I'm not thinking straight.

5. cjmlarson

Saturday afternoon video

Please bear with us while watching the following videos, they are a little shaky at times, but we had someone else use our camera and they were not familiar with how steady you have to be with our camera. We were just too busy to try and get any video ourselves. If anyone else has any, please feel free to add it to this thread. The video was only taken when the Edin's 28 was on the mill, so we did not get any of the other engines on tape. Here's 4 short clips, enjoy.

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s319/cjmlarson/?action=view&current=Sawing1.flv

6. cjmlarson

7. cjmlarson

8. cjmlarson

9. M Kerkvliet

Great video(s) Jane and Clayton!

Only one thing missing! :confused:

10. dachtera

dachtera Videographer/Web Administrator WMSTR Lifetime Member

Clayton,

I know I have some pretty good footage of your crew on the sawmill, I'll see if I can't post a few tidbits on here after I rummage thru the 18+ hours of film Chris and I shot.

11. cjmlarson

Thanks Tim.

12. Darren Gunderson

Darren Gunderson 20 Minneapolis #8702 Crew WMSTR Lifetime Member

Well Mark's post about it being quiet here on the boards got me motivated to edit some video my wife shot while we were on the sawmill Saturday morning. Here is a clip with the Russell and Jeff Knutson's 20 Minneapolis working on the sawmill. We sure had a good time working this way. The video was originally shot in HD with 5.1 surround and it is sure neat watching and listening to it that way. Too bad it can't be posted like that. Anyway, here is a sample of what it was like working that morning.

http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/..._Videos/?action=view&current=DoubleSawing.flv

Darren

13. Big Coulee Russell

Big Coulee Russell Intermediate Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Darren, Thanks for the interesting and captivating camera views and footage as well as the nice video edit and design. Getting the sound tweeked would be the frosting. Next time we all get together with all the engines we will have even more fun. I will have to practice to get my skills to get to your level....drive up to the belt and go first try...touch the govenor one time and you are right on...video master...what's next? Thanks to the 20 Minneapolis crew for belting up with us.

14. Darren Gunderson

Well I can tell you it does not always go that well belting up. We just hit it lucky. I was pleased with the govenor adjustments too. I had never had to do it like that before, usually you are adjusting to a specific speed on the implement you are driving, not trying to get them to lift at the same time. Just lucky I guess. It was a good learning experience.

You have to thank my wife Shelly for getting some of the angles, she was manning the camera most of the time. I just edited it down to a couple minutes to post. Now I need to do the same thing with some threshing video I shot later that day.

Darren

15. M Kerkvliet

Great work on the video Shelly and Darren!

I have done some video editing, and I know it is a lot of work to get it just the way you want it to work. The quality of your video is excellent!

Nice shots of the sawmill too!

16. cjmlarson

Video Clip

Great job on the video! You guys need to tell us how you edited this, so we can do that on our videos that we post. Shelly, I like it when people videotape and stay in one spot like you did, so you can actually watch the machines work for a period of time. Darren, I did not get to see all of this as it was going on, as I was on the sawyer's handle. You couldn't have gotten the governor more exact than you did. When you watch the video, they both hit identical, which you can see if you watch both of the belts. After seeing this, I'm ready to go again! :woohoo1:

I'd like to think the Russell is smooth, but do you see the coffee mug on the back of the Minneapolis? It just sits there and rocks with the engine. Again, it is so much fun to watch this, due to the fact that I didn't get to see it when it was happening. I'd like to see the rest of the video Shelly. Darren, Jane said it was so much fun operating in tandem with you and your dad. I hope we can do this again sometime. Thanks for posting the great video.

17. Darren Gunderson

Thanks for the kind words. I am glad it gave you a different perspective. I had noticed the coffee cup too. Kind of stands out, I guess I need to clean things up before we get filmed next time.[​IMG]

Looking forward to next time.

Darren

18. ICLIDA

ICLIDA Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Mary Jo wants to know how to reserve a time on the schedule for sawing this year. She had a blast on the mill last year. It is sure nice to have another exhibit to run the engine on, and it is double the fun when two engines are running!

19. cjmlarson

A Time

I am so glad that she enjoyed it. It was fun to have her engine running with ours :thumb:. As for a time and day........ I am hoping that as soon as the board starts to have meetings out on the hill we can come up with a spot to place the mill. This way I will have all summer to get the spot ready and set up. It was a little crazy trying to get ready last year in the amount of time I had :eek:.

20. DOXEY41

DOXEY41 Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Clayton be sure and let me know when you find a spot for the mill I will be more than willing to help you set it up, just try and give me a few days notice so I can plan thanks :thumb: