Larson Sawmill

Discussion in 'Larson Sawmill' started by cjmlarson, Jan 13, 2009.

1. ICLIDA

ICLIDA Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Am I missing something here? Why wouldn't the mill go right where it was since the footings with the anchor bolts are all ready there?

2. M Kerkvliet

M Kerkvliet WMSTR Past President Administrator WMSTR Lifetime Member

There was an agreement last year when Clayton set up the sawmill on the expo grounds that the spot was a temporary one. The area where it was set up was originally intended for, and has always been "Expo" exhibit area. That is the way the board and a number of other concerned parties want it to remain.

Clayton and family have a very nice exhibit... (they never do anything half way!) and we want the Larson sawmill to remain at Rollag, but we have to find a more suitable spot for the exhibit. There are a number of locations being talked about. We need to meet with Clayton and figure out where he can move that will work for them, and for the show.

3. ICLIDA

ICLIDA Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

I guess I needed "the rest of the story". I just wanted to make sure that we could get some time on the mill again this year as it sure is a lot more fun then sitting around boiling water waiting for another parade. I hope that a suitable place gets picked soon so if Clayton needs some help setting upn the mill I can make it up to the hill to help him.

You are correct about Clayton doing things in a first class fashion. This is a great addition to the show and a lot of fun.

Tom

4. cjmlarson

cjmlarson Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Show time help

So far it is looking like the Larson sawmill will be running for the show this fall. The dirt work is almost complete and the drive is being widened so all the engines can set side by side.

With that being said, we are looking for some help at the mill during the show. We had excellent help last year, but not quite enough bodies. The people that came to help worked way too hard, and didn't get any time off to go see the show. If you are interested in putting in a few hours and helping at the newly moved and designed sawmill of the future:eek:, just PM myself here and we can get you a time slot or all weekend if you so desire.

5. dachtera

dachtera Videographer/Web Administrator WMSTR Lifetime Member

6. DOXEY41

DOXEY41 Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Yep Clayton is going to need more help he keeps loosen guys to steam shovels :rof:

7. 40avery

40avery Mega Poster Super Moderator WMSTR Lifetime Member

I Should be well healed by then Clayton. If you will have me I will be there and I do not need much time off.

Rick

8. M Kerkvliet

M Kerkvliet WMSTR Past President Administrator WMSTR Lifetime Member

All of this kidding might be making Clayton a little nervous!

I would be willing to help, but I cannot commit to anything but an Avery, and it seems there is not enough time to commit to that... I get drug a lot of different directions!

The Larson family has a pretty sweet exhibit, and a great new location. I don't think they are going to have any trouble finding good people to work with them up there... at least not any more trouble than the rest of us do!

Keep up the great work Clayton and crew!

9. cjmlarson

New Location

The new location has been approved and we are now in the process of dirt work and excavation. I did not have the camera with during the times of hauling dirt but S.D. Jon & his girlfriend :rof:, stopped by and were kind enough to send me a picture of dirt hauling. I will try to keep the photos in order to make it easier to follow the process.

[​IMG]
    Here's Adam Meyer running the Versatile for me on a Saturday morning. I think we got 7 trips made on this day, so we got off to a decent start.

[​IMG]
    After talking to all the steam engine operators last year, the decision was made to try and keep the engines side by side while belted up to the sawmill. This makes the communication between operators much easier while operating. So I widened the drive, so now even the engines with extension rims should be able to be side by side while belted up to the drive. This picture shows the completed widened drive. Just needs some paint and it should be good to go.

10. cjmlarson

Sawmill Drive Placement

It was time to get the holes drilled for placing the drive assembly. Some of these pictures were taken by Jerry C who was helping us with this process.

[​IMG]

Here Jane & I are starting the process of drilling the 4 anchor holes.

[​IMG]

Here Ryan is calculating on his phone what the weight will be for Klinger's truck... "Let's see, X times Y, carry the 5, divided by the square root of 1/4 yard of cement, times 4 = Holy Crap, this is going to be heavy Clayton!"

[​IMG]

Here I am putting the hook on the pillar so we can lift it up with the Bobcat. Then we picked the drive up with Klinger's truck and we bolted the 4 pillars onto the drive.

[​IMG]

Everybody was watching closely as Klinger is ready to pick the drive up and set it down in the holes we had drilled. The original cement pillars were 12" in diameter. Last spring Louie and I pulled them out of the ground so I could use them over. The new holes we drilled are 18" in diameter, that way we had room to pour new cement around them.

[​IMG]

Here Klinger is gently lowering the drive down into place. Then we leveled the drive with blocks and poured concrete around the pillars.

There will be more pictures coming later as the process continues.

11. cjmlarson

Sawmill prep (cont.)

[​IMG]

The drive has been put in place and it's time for Klinger to put his truck away.

[​IMG]

Now we needed to get busy and mix cement to put in the holes. This got to be a bigger project than I expected and it didn't take me long to call the cement truck. I bought 16 bags of sakrete and that got 1 1/8 holes done. I guess my math isn't very good!

[​IMG]

Now it's just wait for the cement to cure and put the final leveling touches to the drive.

12. cjmlarson

Sawchip Pit

This past weekend, Jane & I got a late Friday start on digging the pit where the auger goes to take the sawchips away from the mill. Jerry C showed up and helped with this process.

[​IMG]

Here I'm using the excavator to dig the pit.

[​IMG]

Jane is giving directions.

[​IMG]

Putting the final touches on the pit, squaring up the bottom and cleaning it out by hand.

[​IMG]

This is the result of our Friday evening work. Time to take a break until Saturday.

[​IMG]

This picture came from Jerry C at the time we were calling it quits for the evening. This is what you get to see when working on the showgrounds during the summer. What a sight!

13. cjmlarson

Cont.

[​IMG]

Saturday morning Josh & I put plywood up, framed that and poured cement in the bottom of the pit for the sawdust auger drive and placed the drain in the cement.

[​IMG]

This is what it looked like when Josh & I were done.

[​IMG]

Josh got the cadillac and started to haul the dirt away from the dug out pit, while Jerry C, Jane & I were up at the service building repairing the trencher and getting it ready to dig our drain pipe in.

[​IMG]

Here Jerry C and Vern are starting to trench for the drain pipe under the close supervision of Josh.

[​IMG]

Tried to keep the shovel out of Vern's hands but he does not listen very well. This was an extremely hot & humid Saturday, but we had great help all around.

14. cjmlarson

Cont.

[​IMG]

While Jerry was trenching away, Josh is checking the depth with the laser and making sure it is correct. We needed to go from 36" deep out to daylight at the end of the pipe. So Jerry had to keep lifting the trencher as he travelled forward. When he got to the end of the 45' run, it was perfect. Very little shoveling and tamping had to be done.

[​IMG]

Here we're backfilling the trench and S.D. Jon & Kevin are supervising the process.

15. cjmlarson

Placing Sawmill

By afternoon, we were ready to place the sawmill and more help showed up. This was good, because we were working on a slight incline and we didn't want the sawmill to roll down the hill and get away from us. Kelly Muhl ran the excavator, which freed myself up to help with the placement of the mill.

[​IMG]

Nothing pretty but this is how you get wheels over the sawdust pit. Now it's time to remove the transport wheels and block the frame.

[​IMG]

Here Kelly is running the excavator, I'm lining him up so we can hook the chain up to the sawmill. We lifted it up and S.D. Jon and Mike B. removed the transport wheels. Then we lowered it down and blocked it. We then went to the other side and removed those transport wheels also. It was extremely hot and muggy but I didn't want to quit until we got to this point, due to all of the good help we had that afternoon. Thanks to everyone who helped out!

16. Fredward

Fredward Junior Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Clayton,
    I would sure have to say the hard work paid off. The Mill worked perfectly! I'd dare say it couldn't have gone much better. Sorry the Russell didn't get more hours in but it gives you something else to work on this winter.

Thanks for letting me sign on to the crew!

Fred Thomson

17. cjmlarson

As for the mill I don't want to say to much, that could bite us next year! As for the Russell we just said there was trouble with it so all of the other brands of engines would get a chance to run on the mill:rof:.

Thank You Fred for just coming down and offering to help. It was much needed and really helped, specially with the big lumber that we cut on Friday.There will be more on the people that helped in the near future, its just that Jane has to get involved with that. As most of you know computers and typing don't work with me very kindly.

18. Darren Gunderson

Darren Gunderson 20 Minneapolis #8702 Crew WMSTR Lifetime Member

Larson Sawmill 2010 Show Video

I am surprised some video has not shown up yet. I worked a little this weekend and got some sample video put together showing some of the time the 20 Minneapolis was helping out on the sawmill. The first part of this is with Larson's Russell and the second part is with Dillon's Advance. I was not expecting to be there Sunday afternoon so I did not get any when we were on the mill with Anderson's Case. Maybe some will surface. We had a great time again on the mill and hope we can make it a regular stop. Between the two mills, threshing, spark shows and steam engine games, we did not let the 20 Minneapolis have much down time this show, which was great.

Thanks on behalf of the 20 Minneapolis crew, Darren and Rob Gunderson, Justin Miller and Jeff Knutson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoIF-eAmyEQ

Darren

19. Big Coulee Russell

Big Coulee Russell Intermediate Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Darren,
    Thanks for the fine video, again. The sawmill can always count on the 20 Minneapolis and crew, as well as the Advance and crew. It was fun having Anderson's Case on as well. Speaking for myself, all of you have a spot on a belt when we go again. Thanks for helping make the sawmill venue work.

20. Fredward

Fredward Junior Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Hey Darren,
    Nice footage. Tough to beat the sound of a steamer under load.

Now I know what you were doing leaving your camera sitting around strategically positioned on the tripod. I sure enjoyed meeting you guys and all of Bob's anecdotes.
    Fred Thomson