Larson Thick N Thin Sawmill Upgrades

Discussion in 'Larson Sawmill' started by cjmlarson, May 8, 2011.

1. cjmlarson

cjmlarson Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Building Rafters

We needed to build 9 additional rafters for the roof. Due to the fact that it never wants to quit raining at Rollag, we were able to build the rafters under a roof at the B&R Sawmill. Thanks Jim!

[​IMG]

Here Josh is cutting out rafter gussets.

[​IMG]

Here's Ryan, SD Jon, Clayton and Craig working on the rafters. This was only part of the crew that helped with this project. Sorry, didn't get pictures of everyone. Craig's son, Brett also helped, along with Jane, SD Gail (Photographer), Louie & Klinger (once we got him woke up!). Thanks everyone.

[​IMG]

Clayton & Craig finishing up the last 3 rafters.

2. cjmlarson

Poles

A couple weeks ago, Clayton, Jane, Josh, and Jane's brother, Vic, got started on placing poles for the roof.

[​IMG]

Starting to drill holes.

[​IMG]

Clayton, Josh and Vic squaring up the pole and getting ready to tamp it.

[​IMG]

After alot of measuring and cross-measuring, it just didn't seem to come out the way I wanted. So I summoned the pro and Merlyn came to our rescue. After punching some numbers into the calculator, it took about 20 minutes and all fell into place. THANKS MUCH MERLYN! :not_worthy:

[​IMG]

A short time later, more help showed up. Thank you Jon and Gayle! The pace started to pick up after they showed up.

3. cjmlarson

[​IMG]

Josh decided to try his hand at drilling holes. I think it was off a little, but I won't tell anyone...:hide:

[​IMG]

Poles are starting to take shape.

[​IMG]

No, this is not a single pole. This is all of the poles on the south wall. Thanks to Josh, Jon & Vic for the excellent tamping and the superb supervision of Jane and Gayle.

[​IMG]

Can anybody guess who this gopher-like creature is?? We probably should have put this under the trivia thread. He did find out his arms weren't as long as he thought. We were hoping he wouldn't fall in the hole, otherwise another hole would have had to been drilled right next to this one! :rof:

4. cjmlarson

Rafter Plates

[​IMG]

I couldn't find a 24' metal beam, so I found 2 shorter ones, cut them to length and welded them together. This will be for the opening on the south wall. Thank you Klinger for letting me use your service truck.

[​IMG]

Here Brett and Craig are on the ladders, with Clayton and Jane's brother Vic helping on the ground. This was the beginning of putting all the 2x10s up for the rafters to sit on.

[​IMG]

Here we are putting up the beam that was built by Merlyn and Jim P. for the opening on the north wall. Clearance wasn't an issue, this is why we used wood to build this one. Dave and his son, Zach (yellow shirts) showed up looking for something to do. We were happy to put them to work! This really helped to speed up the process. Thanks guys!

[​IMG]

Here Brett, Craig and Vic are installing the braces on the poles.

[​IMG]

The beam that I welded together is being installed here. This is for being able to get the engines into the belt area, so that the engines do not have to drive in from the west end if it rains alot during the show. The area on the west end gets very soft and we do not want the engines to get stuck.

[​IMG]

This is what we ended up with after a long day.

5. M Kerkvliet

M Kerkvliet WMSTR Past President Administrator WMSTR Lifetime Member

Looking great Clayton... but I have to tell you something. I'll whisper... Some of your posts are too long...

Aside from that, it looks like you might just get that roof on by show time! If the weather continues like it has, you just might need it!

6. cjmlarson

Rafters

We are in need of some bodies this weekend to put the rafters up for the sawmill roof. Please respond here or send me a PM if you're able to help out. 23 rafters need to go up, along with the perlins. The more help the better, just in case it gets breezy.

Only 2 months till showtime people! :build:

7. dachtera

dachtera Videographer/Web Administrator WMSTR Lifetime Member

Clayton,

We are planning some weekend in July to come up. If you're working away, I can come over for a bit and pitch in too. (and take some pictures of course)

8. DOXEY41

DOXEY41 Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Help is needed

Hello all
    A little birdie told me that Clayton has planed a work day at Think-N-Thin Saw Mill. This Saturday 07/02/2011 we will start a 9.00am and go all day. The more help we can get the better. The plan is to install rafters if you don’t like heights that’s fine. I am sure we need a ground crew. This would be a great opportunity to get your work hours in and learn how to put up a building! Hope to see you there thanks!
    Thanks again Josh D

9. cjmlarson

Rafters

Friday evening Klinger came down with his big truck and chainsaw, and he hoisted me up & we cut off and notched out the poles to get ready to place the rafters.

[​IMG]

This sure makes it much easier and SAFER than working from a ladder.

[​IMG]

Early Saturday morning I got up and took Klinger's service truck and welded on the metal brackets to the H-Beam where the rafters will get attached.

[​IMG]

A couple hours into placing rafters. We had to have Klinger's truck on the outside of the bldg to start with. This was due to the mill and the drive being in the way on the inside of the poles. Later we were able to move his truck to the inside.

[​IMG]

Here Dave R. is cutting the perlins to size, with Josh & Ryan working up the next plan of attack.

[​IMG]

Here Clayton, Josh and Scooter are doing their best impressions of monkeys climbing around on the rafters and installing perlins and braces.

[​IMG]

This is towards the end of the day on Sunday and Klinger, Louie, Clayton, Josh & Ryan are finishing up the last rafter of the day. We had to stop due to running out of perlins. Just 4 rafters left to place and tin to go on for next weekend.

SD Jon also showed up on Saturday to join the monkey crew, and Merlyn and Dave delivered planed 2x6s for the braces. Unfortunately, there are no pictures of them. Maybe Gayle got some??!!

We need 1 more good weekend with lots of help to get this roof in condition for Clayton to start building exhaust stacks. The Larson mill has a lot to get done prior to showtime.

10. craig mattson

craig mattson Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Looking good Clayton!

11. ICLIDA

ICLIDA Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

"We need 1 more good weekend with lots of help to get this roof in condition for Clayton to start building exhaust stacks. The Larson mill has a lot to get done prior to showtime."

Over the weekend I was talking about the new roof for the sawmill with one of the other engine owners (who will remain nameless at this point) and he was wondering how you will be getting all of the smoke out of the building. I assured him that you were going to be putting in stacks similar to the other sawmill. He still had a puzzled look on his face so I asked him what the puzzled look was for and he said that on one of his engines the stack is on the other (wrong) end of the engine. I told him that we would just belt that engine up backwards, since everything else is backwards on it. He was not convinced and said in order to do that we would need to remove one rear drive wheel and the steering wheel to clear the belt. As much as I think that this would add to the show, he didn't think this was a good idea. I assured him not to worry, we would just get a belt long enough so the back of the engine was just far enough outside of the building so the smoke could go up the outside of the building. He was wondering how long of a belt that would take and I said we can just stretch a belt. He said that the last time we tried that it didn't work out very well. (Obviously, that brand new belt was in way better shape then most of the belts we use at the prony brake.)

So in order for him to have this backwards engine on the mill, with the stack in line with the stack you are going to install in the roof, we will need to have some "special" accommodations. I am sure that if you think about this you will come up with the perfect accommodation for his backwards engine.

Waiting with great anticipation for your resolution to this issue.

12. Darren Gunderson

Darren Gunderson 20 Minneapolis #8702 Crew WMSTR Lifetime Member

"I said we can just stretch a belt. He said that the last time we tried that it didn't work out very well."

I can certainly vouch for the "it did not work out very well" part of that statement assuming you are talking about what I think you are. :)

Darren

13. cjmlarson

Smoke stacks

Tom, you bring up a point that has been talked about over and over this past year. This would be much simpler if a certain person didn't have a backwards engine. Or possibly, it just doesn't get to be on the mill :hide: .
    But as I see it, that would just not be fair for the engine.

At this point, I think we need to have you guys looking for a 150-180' belt. That should keep you busy for awhile! As of now, I need to get an engine under the roof, so I can get a better handle on where exactly the stacks are going to go. Or maybe I need to put a 3rd smokestack in. Why do some people need to make things so difficult? :scratching:

Back to the backwards engine...maybe we can put it at the east end of the sawmill, due to it having it's own canopy, and block up the front wheels to get it to sit level. Aha...problem solved! :bump:

I'm sure we will all be discussing this in the near future.

14. ICLIDA

Clayton,
    Can you add a PT0 spline to the end of the shaft and make a driveshaft with some universal joints? We will have the retired dentist make up an adapter to go on the end of the engine's crankshaft to hook everything up. Don't worry about that blade speed issue, we will just crank her up to whatever speed you want to run at. It's great to have spare parts available!

15. Mike Bennett

Mike Bennett Intermediate Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Just use Josh D's belt from the HHR... :rof:

16. cjmlarson

Some campfire talk had me puting a third pulley on the drive aaaand a pto on the end for three engines and a gas tractor:help2:.

Every one is so helpfull!!!!

17. ICLIDA

Clayton,
    Maybe you can install a couple of pulleys so we can make a 90 degree turn and have the engine facing north on the south side of the building. If the Briden-Roan sawmill can run a 90 degree belt like they do I don't think you should have any problems setting up that arrangement.

Tom

18. cjmlarson

Pulleys

Ok Lets See................This could work but for all the extra work for a single engine I think you guys should find all the pulleys, mounting brackets, posts , lasing, bolts , cement, ect. I could go on. But the longer belt may be the way to go.

But then again I heard this engine was all torn apart and didnt run:Shrugs:.

19. M Kerkvliet

M Kerkvliet WMSTR Past President Administrator WMSTR Lifetime Member

Just wondering since the tin is not installed yet, if Clayton could put all of the roof panels on that end of the building on hinges. Someone could go on the roof when the engines get in place and flip open the appropriate panel so the smoke could get away!

In the future, if the budget permits, a rope and pulley system could be added so that nobody would have to climb up on the roof to flip the panel open.

I also told Clayton about an idea I had of a rack with an assortment of lengths of ductwork and various elbows so that the engineer (or maybe the fireman) could pick out whatever pieces of pipe and elbows that are needed to make the connection to the smoke jack from their particular engine.

The flip open panels would be a lot easier!
    :hide:

20. cjmlarson

Roof Steel

OK.........We are having some fun with this but I need to get to the issue that is most important.

This is a planned WMSTR work weekend and finishing the roof at the sawmill is on the list of WMSTR projects that must get done. We could really use 8-10 people to make this project much easier on everyone that comes to help.

Remember...we are working with steel. Good soled shoes for being on a roof and leather gloves(don't want anyone to cut their hands) are needed. Cordless screw guns with 1/4" bits for the screws are the main tools needed.

We'll have some water available, but it's hard to keep up. Please bring something to drink also. It's going to be warm!

For those of you who can make it, we're going to be starting early Friday evening. If you know you can make, please send me a PM or reply to this post so we have an idea of how many can make it.