Larson Thick N Thin Sawmill Upgrades

Discussion in 'Larson Sawmill' started by cjmlarson, May 8, 2011.

1. DOXEY41

DOXEY41 Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Its going to be a dangerous operation danger boy is coming! :build:

2. cjmlarson

cjmlarson Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

:thewave:

Yay Danger Boy!!

3. cjmlarson

Roof Tin

Friday evening, Clayton, Ryan, & Jim Stewart, under the supervision of Merlyn Meyer and his brother Russ, put a few pieces of tin on the roof to get the beginning sheets squared up.

[​IMG]

Here's Jim S screwing down the tin.

[​IMG]

Ryan was working on the north side of the roof.

Early Saturday morning there was alot of wind and rain. I woke up at 4am and was thinking we were not going to be able to put tin on. But by 5:45am the rain had stopped and it was looking like maybe the tin would happen.

Our crew consisted of Clayton, Merlyn, Russ, Ryan, Jim S, Mike Larson, Josh 'Dangerboy', Jeff Edin, SD Jon, Pete Livdahl, & Richard G, along with the groundcrew of Clara & Jennifer Edin, and Jane. We want to thank these people for showing up at 6:30 am on Sat and staying until the job was complete.

[​IMG]

6 am Saturday morning and you can see the water at the sawmill and the clouds were going away. It was a muddy mess around there.

[​IMG]

To get the tin up to the guys on the roof, we tipped the man-basket upside down, so we had a wide platform for the 23' pieces of tin. Here we're working on the south side.

[​IMG]

It was very windy off and on, so we had to have 2 people on the forklift to help hold the tin down while they were sliding it on the roof. When they weren't needing tin, we had a large treated pole that we rolled onto the pile of tin to keep the wind from blowing it away.

[​IMG]

This shows the guys on the roof busy with their screwguns. I think every brand of screwgun was being used on the roof.

[​IMG]

After a few hours up on the roof, Jim was having trouble with his knees, so Mike switched places with him. Seniority Rules!!

4. cjmlarson

[​IMG]

We can see the end! As you can see the weather turned out great, just a little wind once in awhile.

[​IMG]

Here they're screwing down the final piece of tin. As you can see, we removed the ladder to make sure they got this finished before coming down.

This job took a total of 8 hours and 15 min of roof time. We cannot thank this crew enough for showing up on time and not screwing around (no pun intended!). Thanks again everyone!

5. M Kerkvliet

M Kerkvliet WMSTR Past President Administrator WMSTR Lifetime Member

Congratulations to the Larson's and the whole crew!

:congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats:

I know Clayton was worried about getting this done so he can get on with the next phase of the project!

It looks great, and will save the sawmill from the elements!

Now, since there was no mention of hinges, I guess my idea did not get much consideration. I can hardly wait to see this thread continue to see how the smoke issue is solved!

6. DOXEY41

This project was a blast for me I learned so much from it. I will walk away a better man! For example
    Don’t sit on a knotted up periling
    Don’t make fun of Jane’s Cookies (or else they will run to Holly to get good ones)
    Don’t forget to bring tools or else you will get a speech
    Don’t be late
    Think before you speak
    Don’t be gullible
    And last but least for gosh sake don’t get caught napping on the job!
    [​IMG]

Ryan told me that his name is no longer Happy it is now Nappy!

7. Ray Wangler

Ray Wangler Intermediate Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

"It was very windy off and on, so we had to have 2 people on the forklift to help hold the tin down while they were sliding it on the roof. When they weren't needing tin, we had a large treated pole that we rolled onto the pile of tin to keep the wind from blowing it away."

Clayton, I'm surpirsed you used the piece of dead wood you did when the choices seemed so broad![​IMG]

Good job by all, thanks for the posts of pictures, we enjoyed!

Ray

8. M Kerkvliet

Boy can I relate to that comment! :rof:

9. cjmlarson

Showtime Pictures

Finally finding time to post some pics from the show. These first pictures are from Friday. We'll post some more later.

[​IMG]

Jeff Edin and Doc Parker running the 28 Minneapolis and Craig is running the Russell.

[​IMG]

Kevin and Amy are cutting up slab wood for the engines.

[​IMG]

Josh is showing Scooter the finer points of running the edger.

10. cjmlarson

[​IMG]
    Right away Saturday morning, the weather was great and a good crowd had shown up.

[​IMG]
    Ted M showed up with the 16HP top-mount Avery. Just to refresh people's memory, this is the Avery that spent 65 years in the bottom of the river, before Ted rescued it.

[​IMG]
    Craig & Brett L were running the Russell, along with Ted's Avery on the sawmill.

[​IMG]
    The two 16's running together on the mill.

11. cjmlarson

[​IMG]
    Grant J running the edger.

[​IMG]
    Overview of part of the sawmill crew.

Last year when Mark showed up with the big Avery and backed into the belt, he thought he had it tight. But after pulling the Avery hard a few times, I realized the belt was dragging in the rocks due to it being too loose. Mark disagrees with me, but I do have it on camera! :tsk: As you'll see in the pictures below, I was able to special order a roller-assembly just in case the belt was loose again this year.

[​IMG]
    The Russell and the 40HP Avery running on the sawmill. As you can see, the roller-assembly has been put into place.

[​IMG]
    Here the roller-assembly is functioning just as the design engineer said it would. As you can see, it is saving the belt from dragging in the rocks.:woohoo1:

12. cjmlarson

[​IMG]
    Here's Fred & Pete cutting slab wood with the buzz saw.

[​IMG]
    Rance & Richard waiting for more lumber to come off the saw.

[​IMG]
    Colt & Mike running the 28 Minneapolis with the 16 Russell on Sunday morning.

13. M Kerkvliet

I got that belt so tight that I was in danger of pulling the driven end Clayton built right out of the ground! Just hard to contain all that horse power... :Shrugs:

14. cjmlarson

Showtime on Sunday

[​IMG]
    Finally got the sawyer's handle pried out of Rick's hand on Sunday, :biglaugh:and I got to sawyer while the 2 Russells were running the mill. As you can see, Dangerboy was watching to make sure I didn't make any mistakes.

Thank you Rick for pulling the sawyer's handle on Saturday. I got to walk around and see how everything was working, which I had not gotten to do before. I got to see a few of the little things that we need to make work better and I got to watch our 16 operating on the mill.

[​IMG]
    Eric H. running the 30 Russell and Craig is operating the 16.

[​IMG]
    Here's a shot of the Russells operating the mill.

[​IMG]
    Another angle of the Russells.

15. JOHN PFAFF

JOHN PFAFF Intermediate Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

That's getting to be an impressive looking sawmill. I really like the last 2 pictures and just noticed that the mill itself is color coordinated to the Russell colors. Great job Clayton, Jane, & all your helpers. If I had a color printer I would print the last shot of the 2 engines & water wagon. - John

16. dachtera

dachtera Videographer/Web Administrator WMSTR Lifetime Member

17. cjmlarson

2012 Upgrades

It's been a busy spring/summer with upgrades to the sawmill.

Early this spring, Ryan, Josh (DangerBoy) and Clayton put roughcut lumber that was sawed during last year's show, up on the east and west gable ends of the sawmill roof.

Next we moved the sawmill out of the way and dug a new sawdust pit so we could pour foundation walls for the sawmill to sit solid on. Along with that, we poured pads for the feet of the sawmill rails to sit on. This is all being done to have the sawmill more solid without continuous leveling being done. With this, we upgraded our sawdust removal system from an open auger to a U-trough auger that will take the sawdust directly into a manure spreader. This will eliminate the shoveling and reduce cleanup time at the end of the day. Along with all of this, we constructed a platform so the sawyer and log turners are all standing at the same level, and also installed new rails for staging the logs that are to be cut.

We also moved the edger out of the way and poured a slab for it to sit on, along with a new tightening system for the drive belt. This also opens up the bottom of the edger for easier sawdust cleanup.

When it rains hard at the showgrounds, the water comes down the hill and would run right through the building. So to eliminate this, we poured a curb and gutter on the east end and south side, to direct the water around the building instead of through it. The few times it has rained this summer, this has worked great. Along with this water control, we also put up rain gutter on the eaves.

We are still in the process of more upgrades. One of those is a heavier duty cable system for raising and lowering our smokestacks (don't want to break another steam engine headlight!!). Along with this, I am redesigning the south stack to better accomodate additional engines.

We also installed a temporary water tank at the west end so we will have more water on hand for the engines that operate the mill.

I think we can remember everyone that has helped us this summer. The people that have helped us this summer deserve a huge thank you. As always, Ryan and Josh have been the 2 anchors on helping get most of this completed. Others that showed up and helped with all of these upgrades are: Jerry & Jane C., Dave and Zach Rosman, Gary and Blaine Karels, Rick H, Kelly Muhl, Louie, Jeff & Colt Edin, Jeff Knutson and SD Jon. Also, the Kentucky boys took a break from the construction area and came and helped out. This included Charlie, Harvey & John P. & Donnie Snow. THANKS EVERYONE! :congrats:

If you have helped us this past summer and we missed your name, you know where I'm at. Feel free to come down to the mill and make me aware that we missed you.

Jane & Clayton

18. DOXEY41

Clayton dont forget about Merlin and Roger form the *&%+mill.!

19. Mallands

Mallands Intermediate Poster

There is my brother Rance doing what he does best - talking. Enough said.

20. cjmlarson

Better be careful what you say DangerBoy...Merlyn & Roger have been very helpful to us down at the mill.