Le Roi

Yes Josh, Burning the midnight oil. Had to clean all the fuel system up it was nasty. this took me all last weekend to get that done.

Way cool! Sounds good. I see you put the exhaust pipe up in the WRONG DIRECTION! Just kidding

I was just telling Katy the other day... "You know, Clayton and Jane really need to get some more stationary engines in their collection..." and then I see this! Wow! Cool!!!

Due to the fact I have no info on this engine, there were some things I wanted to know. When you look up LeRoi you don't find much. But we did find a Gentleman's name, Ed Malcom "The LeRoi Man", so I was able to contact him and we have visited many times in the last two weeks. What a wealth of info he is. He alone has 48 LeRoi's himself but not one like the one I have. I will not go into why there is so little info out there but he has been a huge help in starting to learn about this engine company.

This is no little engine!!!

600-1200 - RPM / 12.5- Gallon oil pan
650 RPM - torque is 700 lbs / 11 - Gallon radiator
1200 RPM - 116 HP
1002 - cub. inch.
Bore - 6 3/4 inch
Stroke - 7 inch
Cylinders - 4

This engine has the electric start option. The book that Ed has sent me shows some of them having a two cyl. pony start engine, even though it is a gas engine.

In comparison The V8 Cat I have is just over 1600 cu. inch. Runs at 1000 RPMs and is 5 3/4 bore and 8 inch. stroke. It is rated at 200 hp. and is 8 cylinders.

I think this LeRoi will be a fun engine to play with.

Last edited:
This would be fun to run something with, any thing in mind? Maybe Jerry would let you hook it up to the brake. I wouldn't want to have to change oil to often at 12.5 gallons. Most trucks these days take about 9 gallons.

I have some thoughts on a display, just to early to let it out yet. Just in case it does not come to reality. Lets talk some time Jon, You may be involved:hide:

This past weekend brother Craig, Josh and myself put the axle under the engine. This was a bigger task than I anticipated due to the weight of the engine. In the end all went good and Josh got to see if the big A John Deere could pull it.

IMG_20160820_152852790_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160820_152912374_HDR.jpg

Had to add this photo. It shows you how intimidating it was to pull it! I'd look back and all I see is a radiator taller then me. The draw bar on the tractor was not happy at all. I was very pleased that they gave me the shot to pill it first! Now I have one up on Clayton I pulled it first I pulled it first!!!IMG_20160820_160144572_HDR.jpg

And Josh looks really good on a green tractor!

You can use my R if you want to pull it through a parade if you need something heavier.

This spring the Kentucky boys brought up the water pump that this engine ran. It was used to pump water out of an under ground mine. This was used by Peabody Coal in Kentucky. It has not been run in a long time so I figured I better take it apart and clean it up.
I can not remember if I have posted anything about this. It is turned at 2000 rpm and is a six inch pump, 1000 gallons per minute and can pump that up 175 feet of head.

20170331_153749.jpg
This is the pump as I found it at Bill Rudicill's
when Jane and I went to visit him last spring.

20171216_145102.jpg
Josh showed up this weekend and wanted something to do. I was busy putting up new lights in the shop so I told him he could start taking it apart. Here I was up on the ladder working on the lights as he got started.

20171216_151003.jpg
It didn't come apart too hard as here he is getting the top cover removed.

20171216_151042.jpg

From time to time I would have to shut the power off while I was working on the lights. It would get quite dark in the shop, one time when I turned the power back on I caught him red handed on what he was doing when I could not see him. Now that I have had time to think about it, I realize why he was in a goofy mood. The evidence was right there next to him.:rof:
20171216_153506.jpg
Sorry Josh, but there is the evidence.

20171216_160754.jpg
By the time I finished the lights he had the bearing caps removed and the packing glands all loosen and removed. It looks to be in good shape and has not had to many rocks run through it:bannana:

20171216_162153.jpg
Here he is removing the drive coupling, will need to get all cleaned up and then check the babbitt on all the bearings and put it together. The bearings on the pump all have oil reservoirs for them. The drive end has sealed greaseable bearings.

What are your plans for the pump Clayton? I have had an idea for a few years now, but not the time to bring it to fruition.

If you don't have anything specific and you want to hear more, call me sometime! You're just the guy who could make it happen!

A few years ago Danger Boy, Gayle and I saw John Prine, one of my favorite folk singers, at Blue Stem. He wrote a song in the 70's called Paradise, about Peabody Coal. Not meaning to get into the politics of the song, just thought it was funny Josh was working on this pump. You can hear this on You Tube if you want.
On the lighter side, I didn't see any diet Coke!

Back