Memoirs for Steam Plates

Michael Lehmann

I bought a complete set of the Steam Hammer plates a couple years ago. I was wondering what year the memoir was started to be added with the plate. I have memoirs for 1979-current. I am just missing a memoirs for 76-78 if the plates came with one.

I bought a complete set of the Steam Hammer plates a couple years ago. I was wondering what year the memoir was started to be added with the plate. I have memoirs for 1979-current. I am just missing a memoirs for 76-78 if the plates came with one.
Great question Michael. We have a plate "expert" who is a regular on these pages! I am sure Jerry will find your post and answer your question shortly!

Hi Michael,

Welcome to the Forum!

A while back I borrowed a complete set of plates from a friend and scanned in all the inserts. I was going to post them on the Forum, but I forgot to do that. Now that you reminded me, I better get to work.

The first plate was the Liberty Bell in 1976, I don't think there was an insert with that one. Does your plate have printing stamped in the back side of the plate? If so, it probably didn't have an insert.
Number two with the Case Eagle has info stamped in the back of the plate and no insert. I made a note about that in my records.
Number three, 1978, I don't know. I didn't make a note to myself. Do you have an insert with your 1978 plate?

We will figure out a good location for the inserts on the Forum, and I will get all the ones I have up.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

My 1976 doesn't have any stamping on the back. It does have a piece a tape with the original price wrote on it, $13.

The 1977 does have the stamping in the back.

No I don't have the insert for the 1978.

The earliest insert I have is for the 1979 with the 353. As I have looked through them again and that's the earliest I have. When you get all the inserts uploaded that would be great to see them also.

Thanks for getting back to me Jerry.

Mike

Hi all,

I thought about starting another thread with copies of the inserts from the plates. Then I figured that this thread is probably as good as any place for them. Who knows, may be later we will decide to put these in another place.

Some of these were in a font my scanner had difficulty with. I am making no guarantee that I corrected all the typos. Most of these were printed on a 1/4 sheet of paper.

A paper insert was not included in the 1977 WMSTR souvenir plate. Instead the following was forged on the back of the plate inside the impression of “Old Abe” sitting on the world.

“OLD ABE” THE FAMOUS
EAGLE MASCOT OF THE
8TH WISCONSIN CIVIL WAR
REGIMENT WAS USED

SYMOLICALLY IN THE
J.I.CASE CO. TRADEMARK
FOR MANY YEARS

THERE IS MUCH INTEREST IN
ANTIQUE CASE FARM
MACHINERY AMOUNG THE
COLLECTORS AND MODELMAKERS
AT THE ROLLAG REUNION

Here is a copy of the first paper insert I have from 1979

WMSTR
Steam Hammer Plate

Thank you for purchasing the 1979 Rollag
aluminum plate. This plate commemorates
the restoration and placing back into
service of American Locomotive Works
0-6-0 Engine Number 353. This locomotive
operated in St. Paul until the 1960's and
was acquired by the WMSTR in 1971 0

This steam forging hammer, with which
these plates are manufactured, was built
in 1896 and used by the Great Northern
Railway for making forgings for its car
shops in St. Paul until 1972. It is a
representative of a class of industrial
devices first used in the early 1800's

to produce a variety of products from
wrenches to crankshafts. The hammer's
ram weighs 1500 lbs. and is moved up and
forced towards the work with steam
pressure. The die rests on an anvil
which weighs 7 tons and rides on a bed of
timbers in the center of a 25 ton founda-
tion 10 feet thick. A special die was
designed by a reunion member to allow
this hammer to make these finely detailed
plates.

Since 1976 a yearly design has been placed
on the plate. 1976--a bicentennial liberty
bell, 1977--the J.I. Case eagle emblem,
1978--a threshing scene, 1979--steam loco-
motive number 353.

All labor for this project is donated and
all proceeds from the sale of the plates
supports ongoing development of the WMSTR.

I don't have a copy for 1980. I don't know if that means there wasn't one, or if the insert was missing from the collection I borrowed. Here is the 1981 insert.

Thank you for purchasing the 1981 WMSTR souvenir aluminum plate. A plate has been manufactured at the WMSTR show since 1976, each year with a different theme: 1976-- the liberty bell, 1977-- the Case eagle, 1978--Threshing scene, 1979--Locomotive #353, 1980--Spinning wheel.

This year’s plate features the trademark of the Peoria, Illinois’ Avery Company, the bulldog. Avery started in 1877 building planters, stalk cutters and cultivators, in 1891 they started the manufacture of steam traction engines and continued until the 1920’s. While they produced return flue and direct flue top-mounted engines, they are best know for their direct flue under-mount traction engine of which WMSTR exhibits 2 beautiful examples.

The steam forging hammer used in the plate stamping process was hew in 1892 and was used by the Great Northern Railroad until 1970. All labor connected with this project is donated and all proceeds go to the WMSTR for use in financing new exhibits.

More later,
Jerry Christiansen

Hi all,

A few more are ready

Thank you for purchasing the 1982 WMSTR souvenir aluminum plate. A plate has been manufactured at the WMSTR show since 1976, each year with a different theme: 1976-- the liberty bell, 1977-- the Case eagle, 1978--a threshing scene, 1979--our locomotive #353, 1980--a spinning wheel, and 1981--the Avery bulldog.

This year’s plate features a scene familiar to those who attend the WMSTR show each Labor Day weekend and familiar to several generations of people who lived in rural America. The blacksmith was the person who shod the horses and sharpened the plows of the farms, who repaired the machinery, who welded complex jobs in his forge, who made ornamental ironwork, and who was the local “handyman” when it came to repairing and fixing. Many watched in awe as the blacksmith would pull red hot iron from his forge and beat on it and create a shower of sparks in the dimly lit interior of his shop.

The WMSTR is fortunate to have a blacksmith shop which demonstrates these skills for all those who wish to stop by. While there are still many ‘smithies’ in this country this show is one of the few places where one can see him in operation.

The steam forging hammer used in the plate stamping process was hew in 1892 and was used by the Great Northern Railroad until 1970. All labor connected with this project is donated and all proceeds go to the WMSTR for use in financing new exhibits.

Thank you for purchasing the 1983 WMSTR souvenir aluminum plate. A plate has
been manufactured at the WMSTR show since 1976, each year with a different
theme: 1976-the Liberty Bell, 1977-the Case Eagle, 1978-a threshing scene,
1979-our steam locomotive #353, 1980-a spinning wheel, 1981-the Avery Bulldog,
and 1982-the Blacksmith.

This year's plate has the printing press as the featured image. Since the
1600's the literate peoples of the world have depended upon the printed word for
news, learning, entertainment, religion, and for the recording of history. In
this country almost every town, no matter how small, started out life with a
newspaper printed locally. The newspapers of the 1880's printed in these
communities consisted of reports of local happenings, advertisements, some world
and national news, and of course those wonderful patent medicine ads.

Behind the printing press and its products is the Editor. WMSTR is fortunate to
have its own printing office, Reunion Newspaper, and Bob Brekken, editor of theHawley Herald heading up the entire operation. During the Reunion you can
experience the flavor of the old print shop and see type setting, linotype
operation and the printing press in operation.

The steam forging hammer used in the plate stamping process was made new in 1892
and used by the Great Northern railroad until 1970. The die used to make the
plate is made each year by Ray Shoberg of Milwaukee and the project is
supervised by Ann Shoberg, also of Milwaukee. All labor connected with this
project is donated and all proceeds go to the WMSTR for use in financing new
exhibits.

****** THE FIDDLER ******

Thank you for purchasing the 1984 WMSTR souvenir aluminum plate. This plate is the result of an idea first developed in 1976 and is the ninth such product to be made at the WMSTR annual show held on Labor Day weekend at Rollag, Minnesota. Other plate motifs in this collector’s line are: 1976-Libery Bell; 1977-Case Eagle Trademark, 1978-Threshing scene, 1979-our locomotive #353, 1980-spinning wheel, 1981-Avery Bulldog trademark, 1982- Blacksmith, and 1983-Printing Press.

This year’s plate theme involves music as symbolized by the violin player, or "the fiddler" as, we at Rollag would call him. Music was an ubiquitous commodity in the life of the pioneer and is just one of the parts of history that we recreate at our

Reunion. The homesteading farmer had very little contact with the outside world and had to provide his own entertainment. Folk tunes were brought over from the ‘old country’ and were composed in the "new land" as well. "Kan du glemme gamle Norge" and "Nicolena" were two of the thousands of “popular” songs sung by our ancestors at
family and community gatherings and the instruments accompaning these tunes ranged from the accordian to the violin to the harmonica.

Here at Rollag one can see impromptu musical groups gathering at various locations throughout the day and can attend 3 evening shows where much of the old time music is showcased .

The die used to make this plate is designed by Ray Shoberg of Milwaukee, Wisconsin and the project is supervised by Ann Shoberg, also of Milwaukee. The steam forging hammer use to make the plates was new in 1892 and was used by the Great Northern Railway in their St. Paul, Minnesota shops until 1970. All labor connected with this project is
donated and all proceeds go to the WMSTR for use in financing new exhibits.

**'**THE CAROUSEL ****

Thank you for purchasing the 1985 WMSTR souvenir aluminum plate. This year's product is the result of an idea. developed in 976 and seen in it's tenth edition this Labor Day weekend at Rol1ag, Minnesota. Three tons of aluminum have been used in this project since 1976. Other plate motifs in this collector’s line are: 1976-Liberty Be11, 1977-Case Eagle Trademark, 1978-Threshing Scene, 1979-our Steam Locomotive #353, 1980- Spinning Wheel, l981-Avery Bulldog Trademark , 1982-Blachsmith, 1983 -Printing Press, 1984-The Fiddler.

This year’s plate theme involves the merry-go-round Carousel that was so prominent in the early part of this century in town and city alike whenever the carnival came to town The WMSTR is proud to own one of these beautiful mechanical device and to entertain your and old with its motion and it’s music played by an authentically reproduced band organ. Our carousel is a 1920model Parker Brothers machine featuring wooden horses which were machine carved and hand finished. This model spent its life based in the Pelican Rapids, Minnesota area.

The die used to make this plate is designed by Ray Shoberg of Milwaukee, Wisconsin and the project is supervised by Ann Shoberg; also of Milwaukee. The steam forging hammer used to make the pates was made new in l892 and used by the Great Northern Railway in their Saint Paul, Minnesota shops until 1970. All labor connected with this project is
donated and a11 proceeds go to the WMSTR for use in financing new exhibits.

****** THE STATUE OF LIBERTY ******

Thank you for purchasing the 1986 WMSTR souvenir aluminum plate. This keepsake is the result of an idea first developed in 1976 and is the eleventh in this continuing series of limited edition products made at the WMSTR annual show held on Labor Day Weekend at Rollag, Minnesota. Other motifs in the series include: 1976-Liberty Bell,
1977-Case Eagle Trademark, 1978-steam threshing scene, 1979-the WMSTR steam locomotive #353, 1980-spinning wheel, 1981-Avery Bulldog Trademark, 1982-Blacksmith, 1983-printing press, 1984-Fiddler, and in 1985-Carousel.

This year we have chosen the statue of Liberty as the emblem of the show. This series started with the Liberty Bell in our bicentennial and it is fitting that we should honor the symbol that so many of those who settled this midwest area saw as they immigrated to the U.S. After 100 years of life in New York harbor this statue saw extensive restoration to preserve it for generations of Americans and prospective Americans to come. The theme of restoration for the purpose of reserving the past is a tradition at Rollag and we pay tribute to those who masterminded this overwhelming task.

The die used to make this plate is designed by Ray Shoberg of Milwaukee, Wisconsin and sales and distribution is supervised by Ann Shoberg, also of Milwaukee. The steam forging hammer used to actuate the die was made in 1892.and was used by the Great Northern Railway in their St. Paul, Minnesota shops until 1970. All labor connected
with this project is donated and all proceeds go to the WMSTR for use in financing new exhibits at our show.

*****~THE MINNEAPOLIS STEAM TRACTION ENGINE******

The Centennial Exposition of the products of the Minneapolis Threshing Machine Company, West Minneapolis, Minnesota is being held at the 1987 WMSTR show and this plate features the double cylinder steam traction engine made by Minneapolis. From 1902 until 1911 the company made 499 of these unique machines but there are very few working examples for steam enthusiasts to see. The first double engines were made with 2 smoke stacks but this unsuccessful design was superseded in 1904 with the adoption of the more conventional single stack profile. The Minneapolis Threshing Machine Company was founded in 1887 and produced fine quality farm machinery until
1929 when it merged with Minneapolis Steel Machinery Co. and Moline Plow Co. to form the Minneapolis-Moline Company which was in business until the White Corporation acquired them.

This plate is the result of an idea first developed in 1976 and is the 12th such product to be made at the WMSTR annual show held on Labor Day Weekend at Rollag, Minnesota. Other plate motifs in this limited edition collector's line are:
1976-Liberty Bell, 1977 -Case Eagle Trademark, 1978-Threshing scene, 1979-steam locomotive #353, 1980-spinning wheel, 1981-Avery Bulldog Trademark, 1982-Blacksmith, 1983-print shop, 1984-The Fiddler, 1985- The Carousel, and 1986-Statue of Liberty

The die used to make this plate is designed by Ray Shoberg of Milwaukee, Wisconsin and the project is supervised by Ann Shoberg, also of Milwaukee. The steam forging hammer used to make the plates was new in 1892 and was used by the Great Northern Railway in their Saint Paul, Minnesota, shops until 1970. All labor connected with the support of this project is donated and all proceeds go to the WMSTR for use in financing new exhibits.

More to come later,
Jerry Christiansen

I have an insert for 1980

Thank you for purchasing the 1980 Rollag aluminum plate. This plate commemorates the many contributions made to this show by the women's activities division of our organization. The plate shows a pioneer woman spinning yarn, a scene viewed each year at the reunion and an activity that was common-place 100 years ago.

The steam forging hammer with which the plates are manufactured, was built in 1896 and used by the Great Northern Railway for making forgings for its car shops in St. Paul until 1972. It is a representative of a class of industrial devices first used in the early 1800's to produce a variety of products, from wrenches to crankshafts. The hammer's ram weights 1500 lbs. and is moved up and forced downward towards the work with steam pressure. The die rests on an anvil which weighs 7 tons and which rides on a bed of timers in the center of a 25 ton foundation 10 feet thick. A special die was designed by a reunion member to allow the hammer to make these finely detailed plates.

Since 1976 a yearly design has been placed on the plate. 1976-a bicentennial liberty bell 1977-the J.I. Case eagle emblem, 1978-a threshing scene, 1979-steam locomotive number 353, 1980-woman spinning.

All labor for this project is donated and all proceeds from the sale of the plates supports ongoing development of the WMSTR.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for posting the 1980 info! Let's move on with more.

******* The OTTO GAS ENGINE *******

Thank you for purchasing the 1988 souvenir aluminum plate. This keepsake is the result of an idea first developed in 1976 and is the thirteenth in this continuing series of limited edition products made at WMSTR annual show held on Labor Day Weekend at Rollag,Mn. Other Motifs in the series include: 1976- Liberty Bell, 1977-Case Eagle trademark, 1978-steam threshing scene, 1979-the WMSTR steam locomotive # 353, 1980-spining wheel, 1981-Avery Bulldog trademark,1982- blacksmith, 1983-printing press, 1984-fiddler, 1985-carousel, 1986- Statue of Liberty. 1987-The Great Minneapolis line

This year we have chosen an OTTO Gas Engine and the OTTO shield which is the trade mark of the "Otto Gas Engine Works", The OTTO Exposition held as part of our show this year is to honor the memory of Mr. N.A. Otto who invented the four cycle engine and started the first company entirely devoted to the production of internal combustion engines.
We will have on exhibit the largest collection of otto's in one location in the last 70 years.

The die used to make this plate was designed by Mr. Ray Shoberg of Milwaukee,Wisconsin, sales and distribution is supervised by Ann Shoberg, also of Milwaukee.The steam forging hammer used to artuate the die was made in 1892 and used by the Great Northern Railroad in their St. Paul Mn. shops until 1970. All labor connected with this project is
donated and all proceeds go to WMSTR for use in financing new exhibits at our show.

****** THE DRAFT HORSE ******

Thank you for purchasing the 1989 souvenir aluminum plate. This keepsake is the result of an idea first developed in 1976 and is the fourteenth in this continuing series of limited edition products made at WMSTR annual shows held on Labor Day Weekend at Rollag, Minnesota. Other motifs in the series include: 1976-Liberty Bell, 1977-Case Eagle, 1978-Steam Threshing Scene, 1979- WMSTR Steam Locomotive #353, 1980-Spinnlng Wheel, 1981-Avery Bulldog, 1982-Blacksmlth, 1983-Printing Press, 1984-Fiddler , 1985-Carousel, 1986-Statue of Liberty, 1987-The Great Minneapolis Line, 1988-The Otto Gas Engine.

This year our plate depicts the draft horses who played a very important part in the lives of the pioneer farmers. These horses were used for plowing, planting, cultivating, harvesting and hauling. The barn and draft horse area was added to the show grounds in 1988, and now provides many authentic demonstrations and displays.

The die used to make this plate was designed by Mr. Ray Shoberg of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Sales and distribution is supervised by Anne Shoberg, also of Milwaukee. The steam forging hammer used to actuate the die was made in 1892 and used by the Great Northern Railroad in their St. Paul, Mn. shops until 1970. All labor connected with this project is donated and all proceeds go to WMSTR for use in financing new exhibits at our Show.

WMSTR SOUVENIR STEAM PLATE

The 1990 WMSTR Plate is the 14th in a series that began to be offered at the Reunion in 1976. Each year a theme is chosen and is represented on our plate. This year we are featuring Miniatureland.

The display of scale model machinery started with our first reunion 37 years ago. Master model builder Norman Nelson, one of the show’s founders, has provided the heart of our scale model exhibits and this basis has been added to
each year so that now Miniatureland provides a major part of our show. It is with the scale model steam powered equipment that some of our younger members begin their training in the art of steam engineering.

Other design themes in this series include; 1976-Liberty Bell, 1977-Case Eagle, 1978-Pioneer Threshing Scene, 1979-WMSTR Locomotive #353, I980-Spinning Wheel, 1981-Avery Bulldog, 1982-Blacksmith, 1983-Rollag Print Shop, 1984-Fiddler, 1985-Merry-Go-Round, 1986-Statue of Liberty, 1987-MTM Steam Engine, 1988-0tto Gas Engine, 1989-Draft Horses.

WMSTR SOUVENIR ALUMINUM PLATE

The 1991 WMSTR plate is the 15th in a series that was first offered at the Reunion in 1976. Each year a theme related to our show is represented on this plate. The 1991 theme is "Pioneer Homemaking."

The "unsung hero" of the industrial and agricultural revolution was the woman who stayed home and provided the domestic environment for the workers. On the farm during harvest the most pleasant memories were of the meals and lunches to which the threshermen had access. One of the "selling points" of the WMSTR shows from the very first fall festivity has been the quality of the meals and especially the traditional Thresherman's Breakfast. This year WMSTR wishes to make a special effort to commemorate the tireless efforts of the women who toiled at their homemaking duties long after the men of the family were resting after a day's work. Our hats are off to the Ladies!

Other design themes in this series include; 1976-Liberty Bell, 1977-Case Eagle, 1978-Pioneer Threshing Scene, 1979-WMSTR Locomotive #353, 1980-Spinning Wheel, 1981-Avery Bulldog, 1982-Blacksmith, 1983-Rollag Print Shop, 1984-Fiddler, 1985-Merry-Go-Round, 1986-Statue of Liberty, 1987-MTM Steam Engine, 1988-0tto Gas Engine, 1989-Draft Horses, 1990-MiniatureLand.

WMSTR SOUVENIR ALUMINUM PLATE

The 1992 WMSTR plate is the 17th in a series that was first developed for our Reunion in 1976. Each year a theme relating to our show is represented on this plate. This year we feature the J. I. Case Company.

In 1842 Jerome Increase Case first began to produce threshing machinery for use by the American farmer who had, up until this time, been seperating the grain from the straw using largely manual operations. J. I. began with a simple machine that was little more than a threshing machine cylinder which nevertheless greatly increased the amount of grain that the farmer could make available for sale each year. Case's machine were so succesfull and he was such a good business man that the Company's size rapidly grew so that by 1900 it was one of this country's largest manufacturing firms. Racine, Wisconsin thus became one of the important centers in the manufacturing of all many of agricultural machinery, some of which found its way into most of the countries of the world. The 1992 WMSTR is featuring the entire output of products of Case in celebration of the founding of the company 150 years ago. This show has put together the largest and most complete display of the output of the Case Company ever assembled.

Design themes in this series include; 1976-Liberty Bell, 1977-Case Eagle, 1978-Pioneer Threshing Scene, 1979-WMSTR Locomotive #353, 19S0-Spinning Wheel, 1981-Avery Bulldog, 1982-Blacksmith, 1983-Rollag Print Shop, 1984- Fiddler, 1985-Merry-Go-Round, 1986-Statue of Liberty, 1987-MTM Steam Engine, 1988-0tto Gas Engine, 19S9-Draft Horses, 1990-MiniatureLand, 1991-Pioneer Homemaking.

WESTERN MINNESOTA
STEAM THRESHERS REUNION

SOUVENIR ALUMINUM PLATE - 1993-

Thank you for your purchase of the WMSTR 1993 Souvenir Plate. This is Rollag's 40th show and time to look back at
our history, pay tribute to our founders, past and present officers and dedicated members. Each year we have a group of loyal members from Canada who come down to help us put on our show. To these hard working folks and to the many Canadian visitors who come to support our show, we would like to dedicate this years plate:
Welcome Canadian Friends" .

This is our 18th year making souvenir plates. A project which started as a special undertaking for the Bicentennial yew; 1976, showing the Liberty Bell. Each year a theme relating to our show is featured. All the proceeds from the sale of plates, after paying for materials, are turned over to WMSTR and used for improvements to make a better show. Thanks for your support - The Steam Hammer Crew.

WESTERN MINNESOTA

STEAM THRESHERS REUNION

Rollag, Minnesota

SOUVENIR ALUMINUM PLATE

1994 JOHN DEERE EXPO

Thanks you for your purchase of the WMSTR 1994 souvenir Plate.

This is Rollag’s 41st show and our feature this year is John Deere Machinery. We are showing Deere’s firs successful plow, made in his blacksmith shop in Grand Detour, Illinois in 1837. Up until this time, plows were made of wood or cast iron. The heavy clay soils would build up on these plows and require frequent cleaning. Mr. Deere fashioned his first plow from a steel saw blade reshaped and tempered in his forge. This type of steel becomes more polished with use and the soil does not stick to it. This self scouring plow became know as “the plow that broke the plains.” From this mumble beginning has emerged on of the largest farm equipment manufactures in the world. The old John Deere blacksmith shop at Grand Detour is now an Illinois State Park and welcomes visitors.

This is our 19th year making souvenir plates. A project which was started as a special undertaking for the Bicentennial year, 1976, showing the Liberty Bell. Each year a theme relating to our show is featured. All proceeds from the sale of plates after paying for materials are turned over to WMSTR and used for improvements to make a better show. Thanks for your support.

-The Steam Hammer Crew

More to come. Notice that 1992 was the last year that all the previous plates weren't listed. Some of the original formatting has been lost with the scanning and copy-paste done here. Most of these were printed on a 1/4 sheet of 8.5 X 11 paper.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

Hi all,

Wow, it has been a month since I last added some of the info sheets! That is one reason you never give a Norsky a 10 minute coffee break. They forget what they were doing and you have to retrain them.

Moving onto 1995

music comes ALlVE in '95

Not just in '95, but every year music comes alive at Rollag,
in fact, you can't get away from it, there's music every-
where you go, so maybe it's time we honor all the volun-
teer live musicians, both past and present who do such a
great job keeping our toes tapping, and all those behind the
scene that help put on our great programs. Musical enter-
tainment at WMSTER has become a legend, we have
square dancers, merry-go-round band organ, live musi-
cians and even steam whistles! There are two fine air-con-
ditioned concert halls for your enjoyment, the latest bring
your own seating, perfect acoustics and sound systems. If
you are a musician, don't be bashful, bring your instrument,
join in the fun, and you too can be part of the honored
group!

'95 also marks the 20th year of forging plates on the steam
hammer. The same as our live music, these plates are
"home made" beginning with a square sheet of aluminum
and ending with a round embossed souvenir plate. The real
honored group should be the supporters of our plate project
throughout the years, but how can you feature hundreds of
people on only a 5" center insert? The proceeds from all
these years of plate sales has been invested in making a
better show, look around, you can be very proud of what
you have helped us to accomplish, thank you and enjoy
your visit!

- THE STEAM HAMMERED CREW

"GATHERING OF THE ORANGE"

This year our plate features the ALLIS CHALMERS
DIAMOND LOGO. You will see the AC diamond on all
the orange equipment on the expo hill.

For 21 years forging plates on the steam hammer
has become a special attraction during the show.
The "LABOR OF LOVE" you see here and at every
turn on the grounds, comes from 43 years of gifts
given by all the volunteers who make this show
possible. Millions of dollars worth of time, talents and donations.

"REUNION" is the gift WESTERN MINNESOTA STEAM
THRESHERS gives back to all our volunteers.
Every year friendships renew, grow and blossom.

"THE GATHERING OF THE ORANGE"
"THE GATHERING OF THE PEOPLE"

The Steam Hammer Crew.

The 1997 WMSTR Souvenir Plate features the
Burlington Northern Steam Hammer. However, for
the history of the steam hammer, please refer to a
copy of "Memories of Bygone Years." This year's plate
is dedicated to Ray and Anne Shoberg for their work
producing and selling the WMSTR Souvenir Plate.

Each year since 1976, Ray has donated his time
and skills as a professional tool and die maker to
engrave a design for the plates. These designs have
featured themes relating to our show. The designs for
each year are listed below.

And each year, Anne has worked beside Ray
(literally!) preparing and selling the plates. Many
people enjoy buying their plates next to the Steam
Hammer just to see Anne and Ray.

Many stories are told of Ray and Anne. Each
person who purchased a plate signed their name in a
wire bound theme book. When all the plates had been
sold at the show, Anne and Ray would take orders and
once home in Milwaukee, Ray would punch out the
extra plates and Anne would mail them.

Please share with Ray and Anne any stories you
remember about the plates and join us as we say
"Thank you!" to the Shobergs for these past 22 years
and for many years to come!

Thank you and enjoy your visit!

--The Steam Hammer Crew

197B-Liberty Bell, Philadelphia, PA
1977-0ase Eagle Trademark
1978-Pioneer Steam Threshing Scene
1979-WMSTR Locomotive #353
1980-Spinning Wheel
1981-Avery Bulldog Trademark 1982-Bla.okemith
1983-Rollag Print Shop Printing Press
1984-Oldtime Fiddler
1985-Merry-Go-Round
198B-Statue of Liberty
1987-Great Minneapolis Expo 1988-0tto Gas Engine Expo
1989-Draft Horses
1990-MiniatureLand
1991-Pioneer Homerna.k1ng
1992-J.I. Case Expo
1993-Weloome Canadian Friends
1994-John Deere Expo
1995-Musio Comes Alive
199B-Allie Chalmers Diamond Logo
1997-Burlington Northern Steam Hammer

**** I-H EXPO 1998****

ROLLAG, MINNESOTA

Thank you for purchasing the 1998 I-H Expo souvenir plate. Our plate this year features the Reaper. The Reaper was a great improvement over the scythe. While many reapers were built, Cyrus Hass McCormick successfully demonstrated his reaper in July, 1831. Although crude, this reaper contained the basic principal that became standard on all machines.

Although McCormick demonstrated his reaper in 1831, he didn’t take out a patent until 1834 and no machines were sold to the public till 1840. Several reasons for this delay were that fields had to many hills, rocks and stumps for a mechanical reaper to be successful. Improvements were added and soon these machines would be used on practically all farms.

Between 1848 and 1850 about 4,000 reapers were sold. McCormick was credited with making the reaper a commercial success. He was also very instrumental in forming the International Harvester Co.

Thank you for joining in one of the largest gatherings of International Harvester Equipment ever. We hope you enjoy your plate as much as we enjoyed putting together this show. Your friends at the I-H Expo.

The Steam Hammer Crew

MASSEY EXTRAVAGANZA 1999

Daniel Massey opened his foundry in 1847 in Grafton, Ontario, Canada.
Alanson Harris joined up with him a few years later and formed the
Massey-Harris Co. Massey-Harris was a Canadian company which spread

its main manufacturing activities into the U.S.A., then to Europe and Australia
and eventually down into South Africa. Harry Ferguson also established
factories in the UK and the U.S.A. after joining Massey-Harris and became
Massey-Ferguson.

The 1999 Massey Extravaganza feature of the Western Minnesota Steam
Threshers Reunion has demonstrated the wonderful technological
advancements that put the Massey tractors and implement high on the list of
great farm machines! Thank you for supporting our agri-historical works as
Massey-Harris and Massey-Ferguson were very much a large part of
harvesting 'memories of bygone years' from farming communities across the
throughout the world.

WESTERN MINNESOTA STEAM THRESHERS REUNION
HONORS THE CENTURY- 1900 /2000ROLLAG, MINNESOTA

Western Minnesota Steam Threshers, Rollag, MN is proud to feature equipment 100 years and older
during the 2000 Show. In honoring the century we remember inventors that turned their dreams into
the machines that we marvel at today. Because of these people, America became an industrial giant
and the farmer was able to turn the vast prairies into prairies of productive farm land.

Here at Rollag, we are dedicated to preserving and restoring the equipment of the past and invite
you to see it operating as it did in bygone years. We have over 80 exhibits that were built over 100
years ago.

The Steam Hammer that you see stamping out plates has a patent date of 1876. It was used for
forging red hot iron into parts for the Burlington Northern Railroad in St. Paul, MN. When WMSTR
obtained it, Ray Shoberg, a tool and die maker from Milwaukee, Wis, made a die to forge a collectable
souvenir plate out of aluminum. WMSTR is a working, living museum and he felt the Steam Hammer
needed to be a working exhibit. He has made the dies and supervised the plate and hammer crew for
24 years. This is the 25th plate produced at Rollag and this year he turned the project over to other
members of WMSTR to continue the tradition he started.

The engine on the plate is a 60HP Otto engine built in 1893. It is the only one known and can be seen
operating in the Otto building on the Show grounds. Jim & Keven Withers have the largest collection
of "Otto Gas Engines" in the world located here at WMSTR.

Nicolas Otto invented the four cycle engine in 1876 and became the father of the internal combus-
tion engine. His inventions paved the way for the development of tractors, cars and other gasoline
powered equipment we take for granted today.

WMSTR would like to Thank You for purchasing this plate and encourage you to stop and reflect on
the past century in which these ingenious inventors developed their machines.

More Later,

Jerry Christiansen

Hey Jerry! I found the thread we chatted about! These are super fun to read through. I am only 8 plates away from a full set but most I bought at an auction with no inserts. Fun to read these.

Hi Craig and anyone else reading this,

Thanks for bumping this up to the top. I need to get more of the inserts added.
We will see what happens when I get home tonight.
Work has started on the die for the 2021 show.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

Hi everyone,

More plate inserts picking up where I left off.

2001 Insert

The Gaar Scott Line

The Gaar Scott Company was founded in 1842 by Jonas Gaar and his sons, Abram and
John, and his son-in-law, William Scott. The company was based in Richmond, Indiana.
and was a leading manufacturer of threshing machines and steam engines until 1911
when purchased by the Rumley Company. Rumley continued to manufacture steam
engines under the Gaar Scott name until 1914.

Two Gaar Scott engines have been exhibited at Rollag. Both engines are 25 horsepower
on the drawbar and 75 horsepower on the belt. One is a single and the other is a double
cylinder. Floyd Brudevold brought the single cylinder to Rollag in 1967 where it has
been operated each year since 1968. This engine is now owned by Darrel Brudevold.

The 25-75 hp. double simple Gaar Scott engine exhibited at Rollag was purchased in
1926 by two of the Nelson brothers, Hartvig and Christ Nelson. She was built in 1912.
Norman Nelson brought Hartvig's share in 1930. Norman had been the fireman for his
older brother and became the engineer in 1930. She was teamed with a 40-inch Case
threshing machine. Norman, as engineer, and his brother, William Nelson, as the
threshing boss, continued to thresh in the Rollag area until 1937 when the Gaar Scott was
replaced by a 20-35 Twin City gas tractor.

Norman had a life long love affair with steam so after only two years of the Gaar Scott
being retired; he steamed up the Gaar Scott to thresh for one last day in September 1940.
William recorded the event in his poem, "When the Last Long Whistle Blew". A few
neighbors came to watch the Nelson boys play with steam that day. As it turned out, it
was not the last day for the Gaar Scott but the beginning of the Rollag steam show. After
World War II was over, the Gaar Scott was fired up again for a day of steam threshing
nearly ever year prior to the official beginning of the WMSTR in 1954. She has been
operated at every show since 1954 and led the morning and afternoon parades for
decades.

The Gaar Scott has been an exceptional engine over the years with very few problems.
Frequently, she runs the parade route without the need for water or fuel, always
responding to a light touch on the controls. Recently, it was discovered that the years had
taken their toll and thin areas in the boiler required a major reduction in steam pressure.
In 2000, the boiler was replaced with a Canadian boiler obtained from Bob Anderson of
Manitoba. New flues and new plumbing were added, and it was teamed with the 40-inch
Case thresher once again at the 2000 show. She now carries more steam pressure than
ever, and will be ready to lead the parade and thresh for another century. The Grand Old
Lady of the Show is now owned by Andrew Nelson, Bill Nelson and members of the
Curtis Nelson family, and operated by Bill and Scott Nelson.

2002 Insert

MINNEAPOLIS MOLINE

1929-2002

The Western Minnesota Steam Threshers Reunion, Inc. is proud to present this 27th in a
series of commemorative stamped aluminum plates. This year the theme of the plate is
the Minneapolis Moline Company whose products are featured at this year's show.

Minneapolis Moline was a company formed by the merger of the Minneapolis Threshing
Machine Company (Hopkins, Minnesota), Minneapolis Steel and Machinery Company
(Minneapolis, Minnesota), and the Moline Plow Company (Moline, Illinois).
Minneapolis Threshing Machine Co. had been producing threshing machines in Hopkins
since 1887 and steam engines since 1890. Minneapolis Steel and Machinery Company
was formed in 1902 and had been producing structural steel for buildings and bridges and
had produced the "Twin City" line of tractors and threshing machines as well as large
stationary internal combustion engines. MSM also made the Case 30-60 tractor for Case.
The Moline, Ill. Plant production was largely phased out with the 1929 acquisition. The
Hopkins and Lake Street production facilities existed into the 1970's when both were
razed and replaced with other commercial endeavors. The White Motor Corporation took
over the Minneapolis Moline Company and thus ended the life of one of the finest
agricultural equipment suppliers ever to exist.

2003 Insert

The ART of Rollag
by Ray Shoberg

I don't claim to be much of an artist, but with my late wife, Anne, we were
involved in the artistry of making the aluminum plate dies, for many years.
During this time, I was able to convince several very talented artists to help
create art for Rollag. To these folks, and to the other talented Rollag artists as
well, this article is dedicated.

One of the earliest artists at Rollag was the late Norman Nelson, who did
beautiful pen and ink sketches. I am told he was entirely self taught. See
photos one and two that show drawings taken from covers of yearbooks that
featured Norman's work. I found these drawings on yearbooks for 1969 and
1974, during that time, the price had gone up from $1.00 to $1.50, talk about
inflation!

The first enlisted artist to help with the steam hammer plates was Steve
Slaske, a Milwaukee, Wisconsin native who drew the 1978 threshing scene,
for Rollag's Silver Jubilee. Steve is a very successful artist who drew covers
for the Milwaukee area phone books, as one of his accomplishments.

As you know, the Rollag gift shop tries to feature items that are hand
made. To that end, we decided years ago to try our hand at screening “T”
shirts. Rather than maybe ruining good T shirts, we decided, as was popular
at the time, to make hot iron transfers instead. This involved a silk screen, and
we needed suitable art work. I contacted a friend of ours, Jerry Ordway, who
made the silhouette of the steam engine and the threshing machine with the
crossed belt. I still have the original art work, to which we added lettering.
You must realize that this was done B.C. (before computers) so to do the
lettering we engaged a typesetting company or used press type. This is
lettering that you transfer by burnishing from a transparent backing sheet.

This rig has threshed a lot of grain in the years since it's creation, and will be
used as part of the design for the 2003 aluminum plate. The artist who drew

it, has since gone on to a rewarding career as a cartoonist for D.C. Comics.
His best known work, perhaps, is a drawing of Superman on the front cover
of March 14, 1988 issue of Time magazine which proclaims Superman to be
50! Jerry also drew the lady on the spinning wheel, 1980, and the blacksmith
at his anvil, 1983.

When all else fails, and a deadline is near, I have a longtime friend and
commercial artist that will come to the rescue. He is Ken Bruce of Franklin,
Wisconsin. His work is featured on the 1983 plate of the printer, and also the
1985 plate of the girl on the carrousel horse. Living close by, Ken has also

been helpful in critiquing and fine tuning some of the other art works, The
Statue of Liberty and the draft horses are two that come to mind.

One year at Rollag, we were required to build additional toilets. The
previous year's show had been partly rained out, with a resultant loss of
revenue. Someone came up with the idea of selling "potty buttons" at the
show to finance construction of 'the new restrooms. The art work for the putty
button was done by Anne Shoberg. The youngster is playing with a steam
engine (of course!) and perhaps already dreaming of going to the University
of Rollag steam school, someday!

2004 Insert

Western Minnesota Steam Threshers
Reunion 2004 Show is featuring
Construction equipment.

The 50B Bucyrus-Erie steam shovel featured
on this plate was donated to WMSTR. This
2004 plate represents WMSTR's construction
area of our show in our continuing venture to
preserve our heritage. Many of the huge and
powerful pieces of equipment used in
construction of years past are shown and
demonstrated at our show.
This edition of our souvenir plate marks the
28th consecutive year that we have been producing
plates stamped with our Steam
Hammer. WMSTR thanks you for
participating in our Collective plate series and
please enjoy our show and
plan to visit us again.​

I believe the 2004 insert was printed on a 1/4 sheet of paper. The centering made it fit nicely there. When I undo the centering here, it doesn't look as nice.

More coming,
Jerry Christiansen

Back with more,

Some of these have unusual looking editing such as, hyphenated words when it appears that it isn't needed. Many of these were not on full width paper. On the 2005 insert below, centering makes it look unusual. If you wish to make new inserts for your plates and you want them to look like the original, copy and paste into a word document that is set up for two columns.

2005 Insert

Reunion 2005 is featuring the Ford line of
equipment. Our souvenir plate tributes the
Ford name.​

The Ford Motor Company entered the business world in 1903,
when Henry Ford and eleven business associates started up with
$28,000 in cash. The pioneering industrialists gave birth to what
was to become one of the world's largest corporations. Few com-
panies are as closely identified with the history and development
of industry and society throughout the 20th century.
The earliest record of a shipment is July 20th 1903, approximately
one month after incorporation. With the company's first sale came
hope that the young Ford Motor Company had take it's first steps.
Perhaps Ford's single greatest contribution to automotive manu-
facturing was the moving assembly line. First implemented in
1913, the new technique allowed workers to stay in one place and
perform the same task repeatedly on multiple vehicles that passed
by them. The line proved tremendously efficient, helping the com-
pany far surpass the production levels of their competitors, while
making the vehicles more affordable.
Henry Ford insisted that the company's future lay in production of
affordable cars for a mass market. Beginning in 1903, the compa-
ny began using the letters of the alphabet to name cars. In 1908,
the "T" was born. 19 years and 15 million Model T's later, Ford
was a giant industrial complex that spanned the globe.
In 1925, Ford acquired Lincoln Motor Company, allowing for
movement into the luxury market, and in the 30's created the
Mercury division to establish a line of mid-priced cars. Ford has
continued to grow, as well as move into other areas of business for
it's entire history. Today, Ford's family includes Ford, Lincoln,
Mercury, Mazda, Jaguar, Land Rover, Aston Martin, and Volvo.

2006 Insert

The hill climbing ability of the Case traction engines was demonstrated
at many state fairs, including Minnesota, Illinois, and Missouri. The 1904
Worlds's Fair at Saint Louis may have been the highlight of the incline
as a marketing tool. As always, the demonstrations attracted large
crowds and a great deal of "free" publicity from the press. As far as we
know, no other steam engine company duplicated this feat.

The demonstration was revived by E.C. "Big Mack" MacMillan of
Hoisington, Kansas in the 1950's. He used a 40 HP Case single cylinder
traction engine, Part of his demonstration was to stop part way up the
Incline and then start again, a very difficult task. Others who followed

"Big Mack" included Chady Attebury and Carl Tuttle who demonstrates
the hill climbing ability of Case at the 2006 Case Expo at the Rollag
reunion (WMSTR). Carl uses his 40 hp Case to recreate the event that
began 105 years ago.
2007 Insert

Youth, 0ur Future

Our youth of today will become our
leaders of tomorrow.

Our older, experienced and knowledgeable
workers welcome our youth to work along side
them to be nurtured, taught and guided;
instilling that driving force to preserving
Reunion museum.

At the earliest age our youthh feel the love of
accomplishment and the reunion of
friendships in this family of workers that pour their
heart and soul into WMSTR.

In every area of the show you will see our
junior workers helping to preserve their
heritage. They are our future. We honor and
cherish them.

~ The Plate Committee

2008 Insert

The “D” was the first Waterloo tractor to bear the John Deere

name, and was also the longest in production (from March 1, 1923,

until the last unit rolled off the assembly line on July 3, 1953).

Some features of “this durable two cylinder

‘Daddy’ of John Deer Tractors:

It operated on almost any low cost fuel

Parts were simple and easy to reach and install

A low initial cost put the “D” within farmers reach

It could pull three 14 inch bottom plows in most soils

The Deere Dealership had good parts and service

Over the years the “D” was improved with such items as rubber

tires, electric starter and lights, a power take off shaft, oil-bath

air cleaners, positive lubrication, and hydraulics.

The Plate Committee​

More coming,

Jerry Christiansen

2009 Insert

From the 1880’s through the 1930’s threshing machines like this were used to separate the grain from the chaff. It was steam or gas power that kept the threshing machines energized. A crew of 6 to 30 men worked on the threshers and engines depending upon the amount of grain to be completed.

It was the women that kept the men energized. The women were up before the crack of dawn to begin cooking and baking on their wood burning cook stoves. Breakfast consisted of fried side pork and potatoes, hot porridge, eggs biscuits and pancakes with lard for spreading. Strong coffee and freshly squeezed milk were readily available. Even before breakfast was finished the women were baking bread, enough for one loaf per man per day. Dinner was beef, pork or chicken with pounds of mashed potatoes and large bowls of gravy. The women’s garden gave them vegetables to serve. If they had fruit of some kind they prepared cobblers and pies to please the crews.

By mid afternoon women packed sandwiches, cobblers, pies and coffee to take to the men. The men ate in shifts so the threshing could continue. Women back at the house were preparing the evening supper. The men worked until sunset and ate after dark while the women were cleaning up and preparing for the next day’s meals. The women worked long, hard hours (usually longer then the men) because they had a reputation to up hold. A crew was hard to find if the cook was poor or the food was sparse.

2010 Insert

Allis Chalmers started as the "Edward P. Allis & Company" when E. P. Allis of New York acquired a shop called "The Reliance Works" in 1847and made burr mills. In 1869 the company expanded into steam power and soon after built the first Allis steam engine. The company line-up grew to include steam pumps including the largest centrifugal pump in America in 1884 and the first triple expansion pumping engine two years later.

In 1901, the "Allis Chalmers" company was formed by merging the Edward P. Allis Co., Fraser and Chalmers Company and Gates Iron Works. The tractor business grew, and in 1928 a line of crawler tractors was started. The acquisition of additional companies in the following years, such as the LaCrosse Plow Company and Advance-Rumely added an extensive line of tillage implements, threshers and combines.

When Allis Chalmers decided to focus on the small and medium sized farmer, they came up with new designs that turned out to be one of the most popular series of tractors ever produced. The WC tractor was first built in 1933 as a prototype tractor. That was followed by the Model B tractor in 1938. Next in line was the Model C tractor in 1940. The Allis Chalmers CA tractor followed in 1950, the WD tractor in 1948 and the Allis Chalmers WD45 tractor in 1953.

Available in three fuel options Gas, Diesel and LPG, the WD45 came with the “Big 4” conveniences, Traction Boost, Power-Shift Wheels, Two-Clutch Power Control, Snap-Coupler Hitch. The WD45 had 30-39 HP on the drawbar. The WD45 was the first AC tractor to offer a diesel engine and power steering. Between 1953-57, Allis sold over 90,000 "WD45s" – 83,500 with gas engines and 6,500 with diesel engines

2011 Insert

The idea responsible for the founding of the Avery enterprise had its inception in the Andersonville Confederate Prison when a captive Union soldier named R. H. Avery spent his prison time sketching a design for a corn planter in the sand. At the close of the war Mr. Avery returned to his farm home in Kansas and by 1874 he had a full size working model of his corn planter built. In 1877 R. H. Avery and his brother C. M. Avery established Avery in Galesburg, Illinois.

By 1891 they began the manufacture of steam traction engines and grain threshers. The yellow wood threshers were known to the trade as the Yellow Fellow and were a big part of the company's business for over thirty years.

R. H. Avery died in 1892 and his brother C. M. Avery ascended to the presidency. J. B. Bartholomew, a relative, was made vice-president. At the turn of the century a company reorganization was effected with capitalization at $1,000,000 and the name was changed to the Avery Manufacturing Co.

C. M. Avery died in 1905 and J. B. Bartholomew became president. The capital stock was increased to $2,500,000 in 1907 and the name was changed to the Avery Co. By then their products were being distributed worldwide.

Further product development brought the 1912 locomotive style double under mounted steam traction engine on the market. The first of a line of gasoline powered tractors appeared in 1912 along with a line of two, three, and five ton trucks.

Lacking research and design resources and unable to manufacture competitive products, the company entered bankruptcy and went into receivership in 1923. One year later President J. B. Bartholomew died.

Former officers of the bankrupt Avery company acquired a large portion of the original plant in Peoria and organized a new, smaller firm in late 1925 as the Avery Power Machinery Co. They developed and manufactured a new line of advanced all-steel threshers and combine harvesters. When wheat dropped to 25 cents a bushel in 1931, farmers could not afford new farm implements and the new Avery Power Machinery Company could not pay its debts. In 1931 the company was liquidated.

2012 Insert

The Farmall M was introduced in August 1939, replacing the F-30, and was the largest tractor in the Famall letter series. Production of the M series ran from 1939 to 1952 with nearly 290,000 tractors produced. The 248 ci. overhead valve engines were available in either distillate or gasoline burning versions, having plenty of power to pull a three bottom plow. The Nebraska Tractor Test Laboratory tested the M in September 1939, recording a maximum of 34.44 drawbar HP and 39.23 belt HP, with a fuel consumption of 2.996 gallons per hour. The M was also available with a diesel engine, labeled the MD, and in high clearance models, labeled the MV, and MDV. The base price for a M with full steel was $895, and when equipped with full rubber, the price jumped to $1,112. The belt pulley and PTO drive shaft were optional equipment, electric starter and lights added $49.50, a swinging drawbar was $5 and a hydraulic lift-all pump added $35. The M was upgraded to the Super M in 1952, and Super MTA in 1954 with over 50,000 additional tractors being produced by the end of production in 1954. Today the Farmall M is rated as one of the most popular tractors by collectors, and many of them are still in use on farms throughout the country today.

More coming,
Jerry Christiansen

Back