Oliver/hart parr

Troy Anderson

Junior Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Just thought id start a discussion area for our upcomming expo. We hope to have a large turnout. we are currently working with two oliver clubs. Great northern oliver collectors, and Northern lights out of minot north dakota. One exhibit we are pursuing for sure the hart-parr boot strap test. Im putting together a material list so we can build the feamework for it.

Didnt the tractor that did the demonstration years ago have a lower first gear? Is that tractor still around?

I can remember watching it many years ago... If I recall, it could not get the job done. Wasn't running right. Might have just been the day I was there.

It was a cool exhibit!

I think reverse was used because it was a lower gear than first. If I remember correctly, the holes were cut in the fender behind the axle for the chain or cable that wrapped around the wheel.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

You are all correct. Yes the tractor is still around, yes there were holes in the fenders ( but I believe they were repo fenders as not to destroy the originals). It was run in reverse gear to lift itself. And there were a few gremlins to chase the first time or so if I remember correctly it was carb and I think the mag didn't want to play nice that was due to mother nature's dust control

Here's a video of one of a Hart Parr doing the boot strap lift. ( Note this video isn't taken at Rollag).

Reactions: Lee
Ive been talking to the floyd county museum about it. in charles city,iowa. I have got a bunch of information and pictures off the test. they did use several diff tractors over the years. 12-24 is the one most often used. I have purchased manuls on this tractor on how to operate it, lubricate it and set it up correctly directly from original hart-parr archives. I also got documantaion on how to set up the clutch for this test. according to hart-parr you should be able to do this almost continuously without burning up the clutch or overheating the tractor. we will need to get everyting set up an experiment well before the show.

Back