Pabst Plans, Spring 2011

Jerry Christiansen

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Hi Pabst Crew and all others,

Last fall we requested money to paint the Pabst Engine. That request was approved by the Board of Directors so now we need to get to work.

I talked with Cheif Engineer Benson last weekend (May 22). He will not be able to attend Breakfast On The Farm (BOTF), but he thought it was a good idea to run the engine for BOTF. During the conversation we talked about starting to clean the engine that weekend. Then we would plan on NOT running the engine for Steam School, but instead we would make that a work weekend to finish cleaning and paint the engine.

I will not be at Rollag the weekend between BOTF and Steam School. If others wanted to do more cleaning that weekend, the painting could start earlier the next weekend.

This fun-filled oppertunity is open to everyone, even those that are not usually members of the Pabst Crew.

Questions? Comments? Post them here,

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

Jerry

I hope chief engineer doesn't go to George's head, I see him to much for that. When do you want to get started, remember I have to drive up from Andover.
Do you want a pressure washer or anything else.

Andy H

Hi Andy,

I have a pressure washer. If you bring one, two washers could make the job go faster. Will your washer apply soap? I will bring soap.

Cleaning can start as soon as the engine quits running after BOTF. Be sure to bring your rubber boots, maybe even your rainsuit.

How many of the wall hangings do you think we need to take down?

I talked with Steve and Shari, they won't be able to make the trip for BOTF weekend. Is anybody else planning on being there? Another Rollag project is calling me on Saturday afternoon. If a big enough crew shows up at the Pabst, I can get another crew going on the other one.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

BOTF report

The Pabst engine was up and running for Breakfast on the farm. We had a pretty large crowd of people come through, I heard the lions ran out of food. We shut down around noon and had some lunch. After lunch, marlin and myself began cleaning operations.. After a while, it became obvious that steam cylinder oil is a very stubborn thing to remove... The engine IS cleaner than it was. Clean enough to paint, not yet. I am not sure if I can be there this weekend yet, if someone could be that would be great. I will know later in the week if I can make it...

Whoops... Guess I forgot to post that I was up this last weekend doing more cleaning.. I think that the top platform is in pretty good shape for painting. Did come in to a bit of a suprise when I arrived. Apparently Marlin and I did too good of a job cleaning the oil barrel on top of the HP cylinder, as it had developed a small leak over the week. There is a bit more to clean before paint, but I think it should be able to start painting this weekend. As Jerry stated before, ALL help is welcomed. Sounds like it might rain this weekend. Wouldn't it be nice to put some hours in nice and dry under a roof?

Hi all,

Time for an update on the painting.

A lot of work was done on Breakfast on the Farm weekend. I hope some of the people that were painting will add more information about the progress that weekend.

Last weekend, July 23 and 24 Mike and Beth Bennet did some more painting. Mike figures that another good weekend of painting should get the project done. I have some picutes of the progress but I am not having any success up-loading them!

Check later this week to see if we plan on painting this weekend (July 30 and 31). If we are painting, you are all invited.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

It has been discussed at length with my wife Beth and a decision has been made. I will be painting again this weekend. Because of the amount of time that has passed between, some oil has reappeared on certain surfaces that are not painted yet. I intend to head for Rollag early (late Thurs/ early Fri) and prep for paint. That way, whoever is able to help out on Saturday or Sunday can get right to painting. Or if someone's schedule permits, I would appreciate help on Friday. Most of the difficult areas have been done, ie the flywheel on the generator side. Should make it known that the paint is oil based, so painting clothes would be a good idea. I am happy to be near the end of this project, its starting to look really good. Hopefully Jerry C. will have luck getting the pictures posted, as I have been slacking in the picture department lately. I welcome any and all help, even if it is for a hour or two.

Thanks

Mike Bennett

I finally got the pictures to upload. Now you can see some of the progress.

Below you can see paint on the new strairway. You can also see red iron that needs paint.

painting007Small.jpg

Below you can see new paint on the spokes of the alternator. I am not sure if the gray is primer, or final coat.

painting001Small.jpg

The flywheel has some new red paint. It still needs some black.

painting002Small.jpg

The Crankdisc and the inside of the engine both the need paint.

painting004Small.jpg

As you can see, some painting is done. More painting is left. You are welcome to join in the painting this weekend (July 29 - 31)

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

Wow! Looking great folks! I have been on vacation, away from Internet for a whole week so I have a lot of catching up to do!

Thanks for all the hard work!

Back