Privately owned equipment and liability insurance

m kerkvliet

WMSTR Past President
Administrator
WMSTR Lifetime Member
I had lunch with a couple of other WMSTR members this past week, and the subject of liability insurance on our own exhibits / equipment came up.

I was informed that it was mentioned in a newsletter last spring, but I must have read right over it. Specifically....

Exhibitor Reminder: All exhibitors and members are required to carry liability insurance to cover themselves and their exhibits on the show grounds. WMSTR insurance does not cover privately owned items. Please take the time to check with your insurance agent to ensure that you are covered while on the grounds. Thank you for helping to keep everyone safe!

I have not always had my 5 pieces (stored on the grounds and operated during the show) covered but as I gained a little personal equity and likely some responsible thinking I decided it was time to cover my tail and insure everything... both with liability as well as comprehensive and theft. It is really very inexpensive.

This past show (2022) I heard about a tractor accident in the expo area that could have been tragic. I think that all worked out OK but imagine if someone had gotten hurt or heaven forbid, killed. Do you know you could lose every liquid asset you own if you are sued by the injured parties? That is one hell of a risk to take to save a couple of bucks a year. This old equipment we all play with can be unpredictable, especially in the hands of someone who may climb on it and start messing with levers not knowing what could happen. If you have attended safety meetings, you have heard this many times.

Do yourself a favor. Get at least liability insurance on your equipment you either bring to or store on the show grounds. It is cheap compared to the mess you could find yourself in should the unthinkable happen.

The 3 of us in attendance at that lunch are all covered!

Back