Steam School Saturday 2020

cjmlarson

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
We are looking for help on Saturday of Steam School. We will be sawing all day to help the Briden Roen mill. Jim got a huge order so there will be lots to do. We will be in the log at 8:00 am.

We have the Mighty 28 Minneapolis of Edins coming down for now to run the mill, If there is another engine that has run on our mill before let me know, I like lots of power.

We need lumber stackers, log turners, Slab wood carriers, etc.

Let me know here on the forum or PM me or call
218-790-4399

Hi Clayton,

Would this be an opportunity for Steam School graduate that needs time firing to get experience?
Or, is this going to be a case of 'we are running production and we don't have time to stop and explain'?

The last couple years the Port Huron crew has provided opportunity for people to check of several items off the list needed so a person can take the exam. I hope they are up for doing that again. I don't remember all the items they got checked off. The folks that took part in that said good things about the experience.

Here is the list of items needed to check-off before taking the exam:

1) Bring boiler up to operating pressure from cold start
2) Maintain boiler water level using both types of feeding devices
3) Monitor boiler water level with tri-cocks
4) Test safety valve manually while under pressure
5) Blow-down boiler, Including sight glass
6) Prepare boiler for inspection, Ultrasonic and Hydrostatic
7) Belt Engine up to pulley
8) Operate engine on level, uphill, and downhill terrain
9) Perform shutdown of engine (Emergency)
10) Drain and clean boiler for storage

Do we have a crew or two that are willing to belt up to one of the Prony Brakes in the mornings to provide firing opportunities for past graduates? This could cover items 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7.

If you are a graduate of Steam School and would like to get involved with these activities, please send me a PM or an email at [email protected]. The Port Huron crew said they can only work with a small number, so if you are interested in that, get you name on the list sooner rather than later.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

Our engine wont be running but I do know the Edins are more than willing to train and help people. But the students would have to get with the Edins on weather there will be room on their engine. Also, hopefully we will have a second engine on the mill.
What I am saying is I will be running the mill. I will not be in charge of the engines powering the mill.

We would be more than happy to have the Advance on the mill and have new operators get a chance to fire under load. Keep us in mind if you nned an engine for the mill and for teaching.

I will try to be around to help do sawmill things and hopefully some engine time if anyone is willing to teach me. It's been a while since I took steam school, but I still haven't taken my test. Need a refresher. :)

I would love to help power the saw, but the 20 Minneapolis is tied up with steam school activities on Saturday.
We should be steamed up on Friday and can probably work with some students if there is something to belt up to.
If the saw were running on Friday we could help out, but it sounds like it is only on Saturday.

Daren,

You are invited to bring the 20 over to the Brake. Students can practice belting and running. We can have folks there Friday.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

Hey Clayton! You know I would love to help you out but there is an edger saw calling my name from the Briden-Roen Sawmill (commonly referred to as the real sawmill). Besides that, Jim has doubled our pay rate again this year. Sorry.
John The B-R Sawmill--we have big logs.

Back