The Nebraska engine

Spring?

Ok, I know it's going to be -22 below here tonight. but my thoughts are at the point when Global Warming is going to appear here shortly. Thank You all for the interest in the Nebraska--- BUT--- we need help from anyone with pictures or firsthand knowledge on this engine. I will coordinate with the group to get the engine out of the mud, but, we need help to make sure we can go further with it. Anybody who knows where there are parts spread out around the grounds-- let me know!! I will check above the sawmill with Jim. We will start making a plan for late? April. Jeff Lee has done alot of phone and other work on this as well as others. Thanks!! Get ahold of myself of Jeff through the Forum or PM's. Ray--I will be calling on old and new friends!! Tim.

Are we still planning a fieldtrip down there this weekend? To get the cylinder out of the frozen tundra and up on some ties before that area turns into a swamp again.

Erik the ned

Jerry,

After the food is eaten and the B.S. sessions are done and engines are put away til another day. Tim M my brother Ed and Myself usually head down to see how thing faired over the winter.

Erik

field trip

Ned, I am planning to stay at the Hill this weekend. I hope for 50 degree days this week so the snow will go down some more! Ira and I stopped at the hill yesterday and there is no way to get to Snob Hill or to the engine easily yet. One way or another see you at steam-up and then we can plan for attack! Tim

Tim
Any thoughts on a date yet, weather is finally geting warmer and dryer, at least down here by Elk River
Andy

all.

Tell me, May,2?? Gots a Lots of work for my girls. So see you at the Hill???Tim.

Friday, May 2nd, I can make that work, Saturday also?
What equipment/ tools are needed besides sweat and shovels?
What time and where?:)

Snow ,The Hill, May 2.

Well-Well-Well. Another 16 inches of snow.. Blasphamy!!!!! I doubt with temps only in the 40s-50s this coming week that we will be able to do much scrounging for pieces and parts. Way to wet and muddy. With that in mind, how about May10-11? Anyone? Is this OK? Feel free to post or send me a PM. Good Gravy!! Only 6 weeks till Steam School and Kids Day!! Thanks Tim Moen.

Time to find the Nebraska

Tim's tried to set a couple dates so far, last suggestion of the 10th/ 11th, weather seems to finally be breaking down here in the south, hows it looking up there? If the weather holds who's up for this weekend?

The Nebraska Engine

Tim:
I would be happy to lend your crew a hand when I am back there, I will fit it in between the gas engine area projects I have planned.

Jim out west:):)

This Weekend

Well, this weekend looks to be OK for a gathering. May 11,12. I hope the Mothers will approve! Andy I sent you a PM but will say here that Friday I need to get things organized in my camp site so let's shoot for Sat morning to get busy with the engine. Jim, you are most welcome to help anytime!
This weekend we'll try to get the water drained and scavange for as many parts that we can find! Tim.

Weekend

First of all I would like to apologize for the @#$$%## weather. For those that can make it, this weekend(11-12), will be a gathering to look at and discuss things about the Nebraska Engine. I will be on the Hill Friday night(late) on Snob Hill. Unofficial official time to start on Sat. morn is 9:00 A.M. at the OK Corral potties. Call me at 218-766-5265 cell if you have issues! Tim...

First weekend

Our first weekend of work.... well Sunday! Let me thank Andy, Jeff L., Jeff N., Tyson S., Karl S., for braving the sn#$w on Saturday. Not much as far as finding iron, but, getting the boom-truck operational was a great plus!!!! Sunday- Andy, Tyson, Jeff N., and myself got some iron pulled out of the way. Thanks to Vern we had a gas powered pump to get alot of the water drained. We have separated some of the parts onto the dry areas around there but need to go further. NOTHING IN THE AREA IS SCRAP!!!!!!!! The next weekend for Nebraska work is Memorial Weekend. Please P.M. or post if you are interested--it makes it easier to see how many people will be there to help. Anyone with ideas on how to manuver(sic) 15 tons of mainframe--let me know.. Tim Moen

Tim,
I think your answer is Gary Muhl and Big Ugly. For non-Railroad folks, Big Ugly is the Railroad Crane. Not to be confused with Jerry Asher our Railroad Superintendant.
Ken Ronsberg

Big-Ugly

Ken, we looked at that. Gary will have to determine if the big-ugly would be over-extended picking up the big pieces. You reminded me of another idea. Has to do with a BIG balloon, a soapbox,and a certain individual. Should work--right? Tim.

Tim is right. There is a lot of parts that need to be sorted out and identified. Hopefully when it warms up and dries out all the parts can be found and seperated. It looks like there is at least three engines in the area.

RollagMay102008001.jpg

There was a little bit of water down by the cylinder, but that was pumped out on Sunday. When the cylinder is pulled out and the valves taken out then we can get a better idea if there is any water damage inside.

RollagMay102008024.jpg

Here is a photo from Saturday after the line truck got running.

RollagMay102008030.jpg

Well that should do it for me until Memorial Day weekend.
Does anybody know what happened to the builders tag that was screwed to the side of the cylinder? Or recall what the tag said? Thanks

Good pictures Jeff, and good work all! The pictures show the scale of the job you have undertaken! Looks to me like it will take most of the summer just to get all of the parts with the right engines!

Good to see the line truck doing some work. I know Klinger and Louie have done a lot of work on that truck to get it running in the past. Would be nice if it can be kept in good running order so it is always available for this kind of work.

If Gary thinks that the Big Ugly is going to be a little "stretched" as far as it's lifting capacity, you can always get in touch with Ken Ekre and use the wheeled crane to load the parts... onto what I am not sure.

Also, be sure you check with everyone involved with the different areas of the grounds before you do any unloading. Would hate to have a bunch of complaints about "why did that have to go here"! The Board is going to meet on "Breakfast on the Farm" weekend if we can be of any help with this.

Keep up the great work guys!

Tim,

Big ugly is what put the peices there it should be able to get them out again. Definitly talk to Gary.

Rick

we never did get back out on saturday during the snow to take pictures...

we did get the all important planning meeting taken care of, so next time we meet.......

Back