Villaume Allis-Chalmers alternator, in Hawkins Electrical Guide

DMahalko

Intermediate Poster
Hmmmmm, this machine looks suprisingly familiar as I look through my old book collection... :D

AllisChalmersAlternatoronVillaume.jpg

The following images are scanned from my nine volume Hawkins Electrical Guide I am slowly putting into Wikipedia. These aren't yet in Wikipedia yet but I'm posting them here just for your Villaume. :thumb: (I'm typing out the illustration text, since pictures of words cannot be found by search engines.)

Hawkins Electrical Guide, Copyright 1917 Theo. Audel and Co., printed in the United States
(And so has an expired copyright according to US copyright laws)

Book Volume 4, Alternating Currents and Alternators
Chapter 49, Alternators (p1125-1186)
Chapter 50, Construction of Alternators (p1187-1266)

p1137f1382AllisChalmersalternator.jpg

Page 1137, Figure 1382 -- Allis-Chalmers pedestal type, belted alternator. The bearings are of the ring oiling form with large oil reservoirs. The bearings have spherical seats and are self aligning.

(So, do you have the ratcheting belt tensioning parallel bars shown in this image?)

p1190f1454AllisChalmerswithexciter.jpg

Page 1190, Fig 1454: Allis-Chalmers three bearing type alternator with exciter direct connected. The bearing pedestals are bolted to a substantial cast iron base having, in the large sizes, sufficient length to permit shifting the frame sideways along the base to give access to the field and armature coils. The field coils are designed for 120 volt excitation, and are wound edgewise with copper strip.

There is a liberal margin of field excitation to take care of overloads or for operation on loads of low power factor. The regulating qualities are as good as can be obtained without making the machine unnecessarily large and expensive.

By regulation is meant the percentage rise in voltage when full load is thrown off, field excitation and speed being held constant; the percentage is referred to normal full load voltage. An alternator with poor regulation will show large variations in voltage with changes in load, the pressure falling whenever a load is thrown on and rising when it is thrown off.

These changes will be especially pronounced if the load be inductive. A badly designed alternator might show very fair regulation on non-inductive load and yet be unable to give full voltage on inductive load.

p1200f1469AllisChalmersshiftingarma.jpg

Page 1200, Figure 1469: Allis-Chalmers 60 kva, belted two bearing alternator on base arranged so the armature can be shifted sideways as shown, to give access to the field and armature coils.

(Do you have this tool used to push the outer armature frame sideways, to expose the rotor and armature coils? I would love to see a close-up photo of the condition of the field/armature windings and pole faces.)

p1202f1472AllisChalmersbrushholders.jpg

Page 1202, Figure 1472: Allis-Chalmers brush holder and slip rings. The latter are made of cast copper, which the builders claim to be more satisfactory than cast iron. On some of the large low speed machines the collector rings are split, but on the majority of alternators they are in one piece.

Current is led into the rings by means of carbon brushes, the number of brushes being such that the current density at the rubbing contact is kept within conservative limits. At least two brushes are being provided, so that one can be removed for inspection without interrupting the exciting current.

In large machines the brush holder studs are mounted on a stand supported from the base; on small alternators the are usually fastened to the cap of one of the bearing pedestals.

- Dale

Here are your brush holders in comparison, with brightness and contrast cranked up for better detail:

AllisChalmersfieldbrushholdersandri.jpg

- Dale

(I've shrunk all the images because probably not everyone uses their computer with the screen set to 1280x1024.)

- Dale

Amazing information Dale! I'm a history buff and I really enjoy seeing period literature about the machines we operate at WMSTR. The detailed drawings as opposed to pictures give them an interesting feel and I also like the captions.

I love studying little known history so this information you have is greatly appricated. I'm also highly thankful that you are uploading all of this to wikipedia for anyone to view and study.

Thanks again

Back