WEt Threshing

40avery

Mega Poster
Super Moderator
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Here are a few pictures of the final day of a wet year at Rollag. Mark may be able to fix the year for us. I do not have the pictures dated and my memory is too short to bring it to mind. We had torrential rains for three days and we had many bundle wagons that had to be cleared. We picked the only semi firm spot on expo hill that we could find and set up the Avery threshing rig to knock out a few racks. We almost did not have enough room to tighten the belt but got it done and then found the only way we could blow the straw was toward one of our bus stops. By the time we were done the engine had worked its way about five inches down into the soft ground. It did come out on it's own but we were wondering for a while.

It was one of those situations we still talk about around the camp fire once in a while.

Hi Rick,

I remember the year, but I don't remember when it was. Like you, a good memory but it is short.

Sometimes we get lucky and a "lightning strike" takes care of the straw pile. Do you remember if that happened to this straw pile?;)

Jerry

Jerry

No. There was some care taken to make sure it was cleaned away and hauled to the other pile just before the thunderstorm.

I am not sure of the year either. I think maybe 2004. I'll have to look through some of my pictures and see if I can find a date.

I tried to look at my file date on the pictures but that was just the date I saved them to the hard drive.

hey guys, i just found my photos. the year was 2004. my dad and i cleaned out all the hay around this "bus stop" after the show. basically i'd like to extend a thank you to you guys for letting us get in our active volunteer hours for the then upcoming year. ha. ha.
this is the same year the 353 derailed on "swamp" corner.

Thanks for fixing the date for us Karl. If you have more pictures of the 353 you should post a thread under the 353 in the railroad forum.

Swamp corner

:hide: These are the kind of pictures that we would like to forget about?

It does bring back memories though.

Hi. I am new here. I am a member on Smokstak (Alek77). I have been looking for information on that thresher. Thanks.:D

Back