Whoo Hoo, you go RAY!!

Discussion in 'Miniatureland' started by dclong, Jun 24, 2007.

1. dclong

dclong Ortner Engineer Moderator WMSTR Lifetime Member

Hey Ray! You cant imagine what it meant for Eli Spencer to "drive" that little engine! Art and Eli will be talking about that for years to come. It sure was neat to see you come through the camp area!! You sure made that boy's year!
    [​IMG]

Here is Ray again belted up.
    [​IMG]

2. dclong

dclong Ortner Engineer Moderator WMSTR Lifetime Member

This what it's all about

Here's a photo of Noren and Sanders Ellingson working with their engine.
    [​IMG]

3. M Kerkvliet

M Kerkvliet WMSTR Past President Administrator WMSTR Lifetime Member

I hope we can all keep this in mind as we get closer to show time. The features are Youth and Model engines... Looks like Ray covered them both very well Kids Day weekend! Ray planted a seed involving the young man and his dad... it is up to us all to help it to grow!

4. Ray Wangler

Ray Wangler Intermediate Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Eli

That run through the campground was sure fun, not just for Eli, but for me too! Once he figured out how the whistle worked, he wanted everyone to know he was behind the wheel!!!

Did anyone notice Noren building steam by blowing in the firebox? There was no fuel, and no fire in that engine!! I always knew there was some hot air there, but when he built 50# of steam on it, I was shocked!! (Seriously, those Ellingson boys are great to have around!)

Thanks for the post.
    Ray

5. CaseyD

CaseyD B & R Sawmill Crew WMSTR Lifetime Member

Thanks

Wanted to yell out a big Thank-You for teaching me how to run your engine too--the story holds true from above, except I would describe it more or less as...a STEAM BUG! :biglaugh: I learned quite a bit about injectors and firing, and even practiced my multi-tasking skills--which seem crucial for steam traction.

Happy Steamn'--

6. Ray Wangler

Casey

Casey, you’re welcome……….you did a nice job of operating.

Look me up at miniature land during the show, I’m interested in putting together a crack shot crew and you appear to have what it takes to help.

I hate to put this in writing, but I may as well hang my neck out here first: In 2006, we made about 150 miniature bales which generated about $300 of income for the show. That was done with two days of rain and a day of wet wood. People waited in line to purchase them and I’m sure we could have sold 10 times that many. In 2007, I want to make 750 bales in 4 days! That’s about 2 bales/minute for four 8 hour days.

The plan is to have my crew of 4 boys, my Dad, Sanders Ellingson, Casey and I (I’ll just drink coffee and visit because one must work at the craft in which they excel) baling and engineering to achieve the goal. It’s a rigorous schedule, but it will be fun. I’m very excited!

See ya at the show

Ray

7. CaseyD

CaseyD B & R Sawmill Crew WMSTR Lifetime Member

That plan fits in excellently with the youth and miniature, and the plan to have around 14 large-scale threshers running next show. I would like nothing better than to help you run your engines during the next show. You know what you are doing with them, and make it fun to learn about their operation--safely:thumb:.

See you in Miniatureland!

8. oldsmokey

oldsmokey Intermediate Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

thanks Ray

Thanks ray for everything you have tought me.:woohoo1:Its awesome your willing to teach kids about steam:bannana:.

9. Ray Wangler

Kenneth, you've done an excellent job on my equipment, thank YOU for all the help. I'm excited to see Old Smokey run at steam up.

Good steamin'
    Ray

10. oldsmokey

oldsmokey Intermediate Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

thank you ray