1937 C Case

cjmlarson

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Complete restoration of my Grandpa's 1937 C Case. Came on steel, converted to rubber in 1939. These are the original 1939 rear tires.

RestoredPaint.jpg

2006 WMSTR Parade. My dad, Jack Larson, is driving the tractor.

parade.jpg

Hooked up to the Prony Brake.

PronyBrake.jpg

Grant Johnson, Jack Larson, Clayton Larson & Kevin Larson at Rollag 2006.

BoysPaint.jpg

Clayton,

Nice looking tractor. I don't think I was running the brake when your engine was on, I wish I would have been.

Jerry Christiansen

Nice looking tractor Clayton... and great pictures!

Where did all that mud on the tires come from?:hide:

Glad to hear you made it aboard Grant.If you have any pictures for the WMSTR forum that might interest us, please share!.:picture:

100_05932-2.jpg

My first recollection of this tractor was when I was very young, and had to use both hands to pull the clutch lever back to engage it, then use my foot to push it forward to disengage. That was back when I thought that all it was, was a noisy, rusty old tractor. I never knew this tractor to have any paint and at that time, didn’t know or care about the history of the tractor. As time went on, the tractor got parked and it continued to deteriorate and rust even more.

This ‘C’ Case was bought new by my grandparents, John & Hilda Larson, in the fall of 1937, from Lloyd Bartch Lumber Company in Rock Lake, ND for $1050. It came on steel and in 1939, Grandpa took it to the local blacksmith, Vulcan Ironworks, in Bisbee, ND and had him convert it to rubber. It still has the original 1939 Goodrich Silvertown tires on the back. This was his first wheel tractor when he was converting from horse power to gas power. My dad, Jack, talks of plowing with a 3/14 Little Genius International plow and also using it on a 28 inch McCormick-Deering threshing machine.

The tractor sat idle on the farm for many years, and my dad talked of restoring it someday. One day while we were visiting, dad asked me if I wanted to tackle the job of restoring it. I think I said yes before he finished the sentence! This was the beginning of a 2 year restoration project that required many phone calls and emails to people in 4 different states, and many evenings reading Case tractor books, to find parts and information to complete the restoration. Although my wife, Jane, was very supportive of this project, I’m sure the many hours spent in the shop was frustrating for her. So, like many of my male counterparts, I did try to accomplish some house projects also, so I would still get fed and have a place to sleep.

This was a complete restoration, meaning every nut, bolt and washer was taken apart, and cleaned or replaced. There were smashed fenders, rusted out rear rims, all bearings in the rear end and transmission were worn out, the manifold was in complete disrepair and there were cracked pistons and cylinder sleeves. Along with this, was a broken water pump, worn out rocker arms, valves and valve guides. I replaced the clutch, radiator tank and core, and bottom crank shives. The only thing I didn’t do on this project, was polish the crankshaft and the cylinder head work, which were done by a machine shop.

We have taken the tractor to several parades and were glad to be able to bring it to Rollag for the 2006 Case Expo. I was lucky enough to get a chance to run it on the prony brake for the first time since its’ restoration, and we were very pleased with how it ran.

The highlight of this restoration was finishing it and being able to have pictures taken with my Grandmother, Hilda, and the rest of the family, shortly after her 97th birthday. This restoration was done, with the help of several family members, so that my parents and the rest of the family could enjoy the tractor for many more years to come.

There are too many people to thank for their instructional help and knowledge, but they are all appreciated, and it would not be what it is today, if it were not for their help and expertise.

Clayton,

You gave us a great story about the tractor and the restoration. The story makes me appreciate the tractor and your work even more. I hope you bring it to the show again. Maybe next time I will be running the brake when you belt up.

Jerry Christiansen

Restoring tractors is great but restoring a family tractor is many times better.

My wife's grandfather purchased a Minneapolis tractor new and it is still sitting in a shed in disrepair but complete. It is my sincere wish that my boy's will get a chance to restore and show it like you have this fine Case.

Keep up the good posts.

Clayton,
Great pictures:thumb: and great story. Soon I hope to post picks of my resteration project.

Back