Steam Up 2024

Jerry Christiansen

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Hi all,

I stopped by Larson Welding to check the date for Steam Up. Yes, I know it is only the 1st of February. We all need to get our ducks in a row and clear our calendars for important events like this.

Steam Up is planned for Saturday, April 6.
We plan to bring the Blue Brake again this year.
Who else is coming? What are you bringing?

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

Hi all,

I stopped by Larson Welding to check the date for Steam Up. Yes, I know it is only the 1st of February. We all need to get our ducks in a row and clear our calendars for important events like this.

Steam Up is planned for Saturday, April 6.
We plan to bring the Blue Brake again this year.
Who else is coming? What are you bringing?

Later,
Jerry Christiansen
Will the ND/SD border be open???

Last edited:
Jon,

Thanks for the reminder. I will contact my local authorities and see if I can presuade them to be sure the border is open.
If not, I will see if I can get a green card for you.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

Jon,

Thanks for the reminder. I will contact my local authorities and see if I can presuade them to be sure the border is open.
If not, I will see if I can get a green card for you.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen
As long as Jon promises to bring his better half with also I will vouch for him as a character witness to the border agents. I'm sure anyone else here will vouch that he is indeed a character. :rof:

Will we be having the traditional pre steam up breakfast? I'm on board if anyone else is up for it!

Bumping this thread as steam up is only 2 weeks away.
Will we be gathering at fryin pan as is been tradition the last few years prior to the festivities?

Hi everyone,

I think breakfast is a good idea. Are you thinking about the Fryn' Pan at 310 Main Ave, Fargo?

A week ago I was thinking that getting the Blue Brake out of the Pabst Building should be pretty easy this year, no snow and the grounds are fairly dry. Then we started hearing the weather forecast for Sunday morning through Tuesday morning and I had visions of needing to haul my Bobcat down and shoveling a path in . . . .
I lamenting that to Craig M earlier today and he said, "Why don't you get it today?" It turns out I have room in my garage this year.
IMG_20240323_152426891_HDR.jpg

There it is. Sitting in our garage. I even have time to do a couple thiings to it to get ready for Steam Up. Craig, thanks for the help getting it loaded in the trailer.

Who else is planning to come? Are you planning to bring anything?

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

Fryin pan on main sounds good to me.

Loading the brake went quite well Saturday. Glad we did it then vs this coming weekend with the moisture we have gotten.

Only a few days until Steam Up.

We have not said a time to be at the Fryn' Pan. I plan to be there about 6:30.

See there and/or at Steam Up,
Jerry Christiansen

6:30 should work for me as well. I guess if no one else decides to partake in the festivities we will have many folks to talk about ;)...

A few pictures from Saturday's Steam Up.

IMG_20240406_142723526_HDR.jpg
A steam train that a couple Rollag friends purchased from a friend of theirs at the Itasca Show. Pretty neat unit and a neat way to display it and work on it.

IMG_20240406_142658349_HDR.jpg
I can't tell you much more about it than what you see. A Case gas tractor that backed out of the shop. The Co-op in the background is the one that Dave G did a lot of work on over the winter months.

IMG_20240406_111528503_HDR.jpg
We didn't have a mud puddle when I showed up that morning. Thanks to a leaking garden hose, we got a mud puddle. Yes, some kids were playing in it. I didn't get a picture of that. Nick S said his kids found some mud and a bit of snow to play in back in some corner on the grounds.

IMG_20240406_111602061_HDR.jpg
A long shot across the parking area. I didn't get a close up of Sam S's engingsthat got put back together and running not so long ago. Henry, Michael and Sam left Carrington pretty early to get here.
A couple older cars showed. Haris's Ford pickup can just barely be seen behind the car, next to the red pickup.

IMG_20240406_102648349_HDR.jpg
My view of the Number 3 Co-op that Dave G did a lot of work on. It ran for the first time in about 40 years last fall after the show. When we first tested it we only got about 21Hp. As soon as we put load on it, it just slowed down. It didn't miss, it just wouldn't pull. Dave said the spark plugs looked good when he took them out, so he didn't replace them and the tractor seemed to run just fine. Someone picked up some new plugs and after they were installed we hot 45Hp. A pretty cheap 'overhaul'.

IMG_20240406_111546521_HDR.jpg

We spent a lot of time running the Gaar Scott. This had boiler work done over winter. We didn't pull real hard for a couple reasons. 1. We didn't want to cause foaming and/priming when working the oil out of the boiler. 2. Whe the strong cross wind we did 3 or 4 de-belting and re-belting demos. Of course the belt fell in the mud puddle we made. A nice thing about the wind direction is that everything that came out of the stack of the Gaar Scott went away from the crew on the Brake and from Jane's picku parked next to the brake.

I hope someone else will share some pictures they took. It was a great day. Got to see some old friends and meet a few new friends. A great meal was served at noon. Thanks to Jim and the crew at Larson Welding for hosting us. Thanks to everyone that showed up for making it a fun day.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

Back