Spring Meeting 2019!

Jerry Christiansen

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Hi all,

One of the signs of spring for Rollagians is the WMSTR Spring Meeting. I am happy to report that event will occur 6 April 2019 at the Hawley Lutheran Church. I suspect break-out sessions will happen in the morning with a large group meeting after din-din.

This is an opportunity to get back with the group(s) that you made plans with last fall and figure out when and how to start on the projects you talked about. Young people can probably remember all of that. Us old folks need to get together and clear the cobwebs.

Mark your calendars and set your watches, re-connect with the Rollag family then and there.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

Before Christmas people often have count down calendars.
On the Rollag.com site there is a count down until the show.
Shall we start another count down until we can stand where the picture was taken and see that view?

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

Sid thanks for sharing that picture! Can almost smell the breeze coming over Gunderson Pond. This winter is sure making spring feel a long ways away!

Hey Craig, great to here from you. Yes, this winter has sure had it's share of snow, wind and cold. I remember the end of February last year, there was virtually no snow in our yard or around our buildings. What a difference a year makes. I can hardly wait to get back to the show grounds for some peace and tranquility.

Wait Sid, you get peace and tranquillity there? Weren’t you helping Jerry Christiansen at the prony brake last fall? Not sure you can use those words hanging out with him...

Well, you know how the world is, some ones peace and tranquility is an others excitement. :)...
Seriously, we had a great time at the new prony brake building last fall. When you come to visit in the spring, bring donuts, that's the price for a tour of the new facility. :)... Tour times are usually around coffee time.

If it makes anyone feel any better I'm planning on bringing out my rake this weekend. Liz says I should probably go around the house raking so it's on my list and raking has to be a for sure sign of spring right??? :Shrugs::Shrugs:

To be completely honest it's roof raking. and something about knocking 2-3ft drifts snow off the roof, but raking is raking

Hi Ned,

I agree, raking is a spring project. Be certain you have your garden hose ready in case the flames get too high.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

Hi Ned,

I agree, raking is a spring project. Be certain you have your garden hose ready in case the flames get too high.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen
Jerry,
Should I use the hose beforehand to guarantee that the area is moist enough or after? Maybe I'll just do both much like a steamer you can't have too much water

Ned,

Wetting down the area first makes good sense. Perhaps Liz could continue applying water during the entire process.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

I’m thrilled, Ned, that you are starting spring projects already. Priscilla told me to do some raking too and I’ve been avoiding it. When I read your post I was inspired to get started, so I quickly laid down until that feeling went away. I had a lot of things to do today...now I have a lot of things to do tomorrow.

I’m thrilled, Ned, that you are starting spring projects already. Priscilla told me to do some raking too and I’ve been avoiding it. When I read your post I was inspired to get started, so I quickly laid down until that feeling went away. I had a lot of things to do today...now I have a lot of things to do tomorrow.
Todd,
I like your philosophy I got done with work and decided I didn't need more work so I will work another day. Besides most of the snow will probably be there tomorrow. Maybe to make it up to her I will water the plants

I died laughing when I pictured Liz just shaking her head and water coming out of the bottom of every houseplant. And you holding the watering can with a “deer in the headlights” look.
On the bright side, you could help Jane all summer with the flowers at the Hill since you’ll be experienced.

I didn't realize that being a Horticulturist and an Arborist was a prerequisite to operating a Steam Traction Engine. Now I know. The things you learn when you follow the forum. Just to be clear, when you are done raking do you mow as well?

I can almost hear Liz saying please don't encourage him. Probably cause Liz is saying please don't encourage him.
Just to be clear I was going to water the outdoor plants last time I saw them they weren't looking that great and I can't imagine the 5ft of snow on them is helping

I don't mind the snow on the roof, but the south exposure is apparently the perfect angle for solar panels this time of year. Sun is melting the snow on my black shingles... water runs down to the white rain gutters and freezes! Ice dam!!

I had to start raking the bottom 6 feet of my south roof every time it snows now before it tears the gutters off the house! One or two more days of sun and i'll have it back to normal.

Raking of any kind just plain stinks!

Oh know, I thought everyone knew, solar panels don't belong on your roof, they belong on your neighbors lawn or on his roof so you don't have those kind of problems. That way you get the benefits and your neighbor gets to rake his roof. See if you can make a deal with your neighbor. :)...

Oh know, I thought everyone knew, solar panels don't belong on your roof, they belong on your neighbors lawn or on his roof

Of course there are no actual panels, but maybe you knew that. I should have some though, as my roof seems to catch the sun at just the right angle to melt snow! In December and January I had a foot up there and it was just fine... but the later it gets the more the sun melts it! It can be -20º outside and I am melting snow on that roof!

Neighbor has black shingle as well, but no snow melt! Roof is a different pitch!

I will just keep the bottom 6' raked the rest of the season and I'll be fine!

Back