Visitors from Rollag, Norway

Jerry Christiansen

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Hi All,

I was on the Hill, Friday October 2 to help with the water line blow out. I was leaving about 2pm. When I got close to the corner of Hiway 32 I noticed a van that was parked in a strange spot. I stopped to be sure everything was OK. Turns out they were a group from Rollag, Norway and they were headed to the Twin Cities from Jamestown. They had been touring farther west.

Here is a picture of the group near Earl's Mill.
1791083849522.webp

I mentioned a two cylinder, three story tall steam engine and they seemed interested. They got a bit of a tour of the grounds. We toured the Pabst/Soo Buildiing, looked at the Montana Boiler, Steam Hammer, Villaume Building, Ortner Round House, Freeport Building, Foundry and Machine Shop, Briden-Roen Sawmill and the big Round House. Adam M let us know that Earl's Mill was planning to cut a couple logs, so we went over and watched that. Then we went into the Merry-Go-Round Building.

The picture above was taken after the Merry-Go-Round building just before they loaded up and headed out. They made me get in the picture with them. A big Thank You to Justin M for showing them around the Foundy and Machine shop, to Andrew Nelson for helping at the Round House and Adam Meyer for running Earl's Mill.

Saturday morning I on my way back to the Hill to work on more water line blow out I got to see the sunset below.

1791083879015.webp

What a great weekend.

Jerry C
 
Jerry,
I was driving by, at the end of their group visit and I'm glad I stopped. Before they left, it was fun gathering in a circle and doing the silliness to the groups' leaders song and you bringing up one of our silly dances, with everyone dancing the Hokie Pokie. It was a good ending for their visit. Good memories made.
Reminded me of Carrol Juven and him bringing groups over from Norway. One of these groups visited at Stanley Sandman's farm many years ago. Still a good memory from that time.
Take care, Karl
 
Back
Top