Votes: 1 50.0%

Votes: 1 50.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Craig Mattson

Vice President, Mega Poster
Administrator
WMSTR Lifetime Member
The National Christmas Tree is a large evergreen tree located in the northeast quadrant of the The Ellipse near the White House in Washington, D.C. Each year since 1923, the tree has been decorated as a Christmas tree.
There was one year that the tree was not lighted except for the star on top. What Year was this?

I would vote for none of the above if there were a choice, but the brief research I did showed a number of years the tree was not lit... and none of them are listed above!

I'll have to wait for the answer and an explanation!

Interesting. The article I found only said 1 year. Ill post article later.

What did you find Mark?

The article I found said only the star was lit in honor of the hostages in Iran.

Here is what I found when looking a few weeks ago.

For the first time in its history, the National Community Christmas Tree was not lit in 1942 due to the need to conserve power and observe security restrictions on outdoor lighting.[70] For security reasons, it was not lit again until after the war concluded in 1945.[71] Nonetheless, President Roosevelt continued to give a national radio address on what would have been the date of the tree lighting ceremony during these three years.[71]

Here is my source...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Christmas_Tree_(United_States)

Perhaps I am missing something? Might this be a different tree?

In 1979, the National Christmas Tree was only partially lit. When President Jimmy Carter sent his daughter Amy to light the tree on December 13, the switch lit only the star atop the National Christmas Tree, while the state trees on the Pathway of Peace were illuminated only by tiny blue lights.[168] Carter told the surprised crowd that the National Christmas Tree would remain dark until the American hostages in Iran were set free.[168] The theme of the tree was "Hope and Light", which celebrated the 100th anniversary ofThomas Edison's invention of the practical incandescent light.[161] The tree itself was trimmed with silver balls and white garland, and a complex, changing lighting scheme (also in white) designed.[161][168] There were only 50 smaller trees that year (one for each of the hostages),[168] and a single tree separate from the Pathway of Peace representing prisoners of war.[161] Only nine days of musical performances were planned.[169] ...

The National Christmas Tree again remained largely unlit in 1980. President Carter's five-year-old grandson, Jason, switched on the tree.[175] The tree had been completely decorated with large balls and lights, but at a meeting in early December 1980 the families of the American hostages asked that the tree remain unlit.[175] The lights on the tree shone for 417 seconds, one second for every day that the hostages had been captive.[161] The lights were then turned off, leaving only the star atop the tree shining.[175] When the hostages were released on January 20, 1981, the tree was redecorated.[161] It was relit for the returning hostages on January 27.[176] 1980 was also the first year that the Pageant of Peace organizers were required by the National Park Service to hold an open meeting to solicit input from the public.[161] Once again, a separate small tree honored of American prisoners of war.[161]

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Christmas_Tree_(United_States)

Wow... Digging up an old thread here Ron! I didn't know the poll would follow to this platform from the old one!

Cool!

Thanks for digging it up, and giving me the answer (I had never voted in the poll!)

Back