Trailer & Jeep repairs

cjmlarson

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
This past weekend it was nice enough outside to get busy sandblasting the rims for the trailer. The following picture shows me sandblasting. I was able to get all 8 rims done.

100_4547.JPG

The following picture shows Jane's WD that she let me use, to run the air compressor setup I put together this winter.

100_4549.JPG

Hi Claytom,

That is a sweet looking sand blaster and tractor set up that Jane owns. She is very nice and lets you use it. Chat CFM and pressure can that compressor produce? It looks like a two cylinder ( that would be double cylinder for you steam people), is it a single stage or two stage?

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

This past weekend it was nice enough outside to get busy sandblasting the rims for the trailer. The following picture shows me sandblasting. I was able to get all 8 rims done.

View attachment 170

The following picture shows Jane's WD that she let me use, to run the air compressor setup I put together this winter.

View attachment 171

I know a guy who hails from Luvurne, ND who has a lot of steam and gas tractors who has been working on a project like this (compressor) for about 20 years now! Maybe you could give him a few pointers on how to finish it up Clayton! Would make Mondays after a certain show up in the Central North Dakota area of New Rockford go much faster!

It is an old Curtis compressor that I found in my travels of work. Used to be a 25 HP electric, so I took the motor off and put a couple shafts with pulleys on them to get the 540 rpm up some. It is a good load with the WD running at rated rpm at 135 pounds! But with the one sand blaster that is small I can run it just off idle and I only blast at 100 psi so it works real good. Oh and Jerry it is a two stage yes. It can be what ever pressure you want it to be, as long as you have the power to pull it.:)...
It is like a after market prony brake with no read out for power.;)

It is like a after market prony brake with no read out for power.;)

Clayton,

If we know CFM and psi we can calculate the power of the air flow. If we dyno the WD we can figure out the efficiency of the air compressor.

If we really get crazy, we can measure the amount of gasoline burned per minute when you are sand blasting. With that information we can calculate the total efficiency of the machine. In other words, what percent of the energy in the gasoline the tractor burns actually gets used in sand blasting.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

Would this be tested with regular or premium gas? Then there's synthetic oil for crankcase and gear boxes. Where will it end? Looks like a very nice outfit Clayton. I think you might want to hide it from that guy in Luvurne.

P.S. Looking at that last post you must be thinking about the sawmill. :scratching::scratching::scratching:

Clayton,

I am not too bored yet, I have not done the calculations. We will see what happens with the rest of the evening.

Jon,

So many variables, so little time. Perhaps we should just have a cool beverage and talk about it.

Isn't it strange how we can take a nice post about sand blasting and completely side track, derail and wreck the post?

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

Well, since this thread has already been high jacked I may as well derail it completely and point out that the whole operation would obviously be far more efficient and effective if it was Case powered rather than AC... Not to mention more attractive, valuable, reliable, distinguished, etc. I could go on all night but I hate to pick on poor Clayton. There needs to be enough to go around for others.

I'm just ecstatic that all of the posts ended up in the right thread!!

Well, since this thread has already been high jacked I may as well derail it completely and point out that the whole operation would obviously be far more efficient and effective if it was Case powered rather than AC... Not to mention more attractive, valuable, reliable, distinguished, etc. I could go on all night but I hate to pick on poor Clayton. There needs to be enough to go around for others.

You wouldn't be picking on Clayton, that is MY AC you are talking about...you better watch your back.

Jane

Finally got the 8 rims primed and painted for the trailer. I found 4 radial tires for the one axle and then I came across 3 brand new Bias ply tires for the other axle. Just need to find one more and I will have this part completed.
Tonite I got home and was able to get the three Bias tires mounted up. Everything is now going to be 22.5 tubeless.

rims@ tires.JPG

while I was mounting these 20 year old brand new tires I needed a little help with one that was just plain stubborn, so I got my assistant to come out and help with an additional tire bar. Well it slipped and now we have a workman's comp claim, CRAP. She will be OK but it is really swelling up as the evening goes on!!

rims@tires1.JPG

I'll be happy to help. Just don't call Ned, he'll have to find some other occasion for this year's tee shirt!

Hey!! Now there's an idea! Clayton I agree with Jane if your going to hit someone with a bar I mean need help get Jon

Thinking... Ned is good with explosives, and he lives closer than Jon! I have actually seen (from a safe distance) ether used to seat tires on rims. But perhaps if pry-bars were in use they were not to that point yet?

Clayton... you are lucky you don't have a matching wound on your head!

Back